“Location...location...location”

Ranked #479 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Location...location...location”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here last year after Christmas till New Year. It was winter time and generally quite cold. We were at first checked in the Golden Wings I as the booking probably put us in that hotel. We didnt notice that there are actually two Golden Wings (old and new) blocks. Our room was facing the road and the noise from the street was quite unbearable for me as a light sleeper. I cannot really stand with the constant beeping from the vehicles from early in the morning till late at night. We checked out after a couple of days staying there for the Ha Long Bay excursion but will be coming back for the rest of our stay in Hanoi. I then requested a room in the Golden Wings II on the top floor and at the back. The staff attended to my request promptly and we managed to get our desired room. The heater in the room worked well which helped with the cold weather. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.Location wise-perfect if you want to keep going around the shops and lake. Love the stalls along the hotels as well, handy to get our dinner.

Room Tip: Higher floor and not facing the road.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emiliza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here at either end of a three day trip to Halong Bay. The rooms we had were functional and at the back of the hotel. They are helpful but we had already arranged our trip in Hoi An so they could not sell us anything more. It is smack in the heart of the old town with great bars and restaurants. The bathrooms were poor and the shower was a handheld type. The breakfast room did have small flies and we could not get our legs under the tables.

Room Tip: No lift to 7th floor. Get a room at the back if you require quiet. Do not get room 203 above the kit...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilversum, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 5, 2012

GENERAL
Typical 4 meter building in the middle of the Old Quarter. Busy street, with many restaurants. Location is absolutely great. Hotel website says it has 31 rooms, only 3 rooms per floor and 7 floors, still short of 10 rooms?! Everything in the building is well kept and clean. Hotel has an elevator and stairs. Staff is great, very friendly, their English is understandable and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable, treat them with with respect and everything is possible.
RECEPTION
Reception area is small (4 mtrs wide), with a desk for the tours and some chairs. With closed doors it is a relaxing entry from the busy streets.
FACILITIES
This is a small hotel, so don't expect too much. They have a PC with internet (business corner), a breakfast room and you can leave your large suitcases if you go on a 2 day Halong Bay cruise. But service is immense and probably nothing is impossible.
RESTAURANT
Although their website says they have a restaurant, it is more a breakfast room, with about 20 seats. Typical Vietnamese breakfast, so expect rice, fried rice, Pho, fried noodles and some more. You can make toast and request any style egg. Don't expect continental breakfast.
ROOMS
All rooms are nicely decorated, average sized. Air-conditioning works fine, minibar is filled with some beers and soda's. Water cooker is present, but no tea or coffee. Bathroom is clean, however dated. Plenty warm water for shower in bath with shower curtain. Beds are quite hard.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

At first we are arrange to Golden Wing I hotel , but we have made a complaint there because from our Vietnam local tour agent arrangement we suppose be given the Golden Wing II hotel. We insist we want the Golden Wing II and we get it after inform them we are not happy with our Vietnam trip which many of the thing writen was downgraded. Finally we get back the Golden Wing II. They give us Deluxe room which is room # 401 & 701. I and my friend was at 701 and another friends was at 401 , we found that 401 room is bigger with 2 double beg. We inform we want to change the similiar room as 401 at 7 floor. They inform they only have 1 deluxe room at each floor. 401 is family deluxe which they only have one room available that time.
We like the room. It look clean and nice.
Breakfast there serve many food , we like the fried bee hoon. The cheft was a young Vietnamese guy which just come back from Taiwan after 3 year learn from there. He can speak Chinese. The staft there was friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The location is in the middle of backpacker central, if you're into that kind of thing and like being hassled constantly by pushy hawkers. I preferred the quieter area west of Hoan Kiem Lake which has similar accommodations for similar prices, better Vietnamese/local food, and is a short walk back to this area.

I booked an Agoda flash sale for Golden Wings I and was told my room was not available, so I got "upgraded" to the Golden Wings II. My entire welcome was them telling me what a deal I was getting, how the rooms were nicer, that they were going out of their way to give me a family room (two twins shoved together and an extra twin) that I didn't want or ask for, and of course, did I want any tours. The room was fine, but I didn't like the added guilt trip.

A friend showed up later who could not get a dorm elsewhere and they charged us for an extra bed, again telling us what a deal they were giving us. I wanted to extend and checked Agoda, the sale was still going, so I tried to ask if I could pay the same rate. They ended the sale and smugly told me to check again. However, they would cut me a deal from their normal price. Hanoi has no shortage of two star hotels at similar prices to their sale price, so I left. My next place had way better service, like this place could, if they spent all that time telling me what a deal they were giving me on regular service. I checked Agoda the next day and on a return visit to Hanoi, the sale is always on. Their service felt like they were angry at losing money from online sales and were trying everything they could to make up for it. Don't want to give bargain rates? Then don't, it's better than giving cut rate service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Overall, everything was pretty good: good location, within walking distance of everything, free map from reception, ample and varied breakfast, multiple wifi routers (one for each level) so that if one failed you could access one of the others, large LCD tv in the room, fridge, hair dryer, safe (did not have batteries), kettle and (majoritively) good A/C.

However, there were some downsides which took the shine off the whole experience: the front desk staff (with a couple of exceptions) were always trying to sell you a tour or trip and when you spend the majority if your time in Hanoi saying 'no thanks' to people as you're walking round to have to continue when in the hotel can (and did) become annoying. I had told them we had everything booked for halong bay and onward travel (they had even seen all our train tickets that had been delivered to the hotel), but still they persisted.

A further issue with the hotel - being a combination between hotel staff and guests is the noise. The hotel was noisy at all times of the day, and even if you wanted a lie in (anything past 8am!) whilst in Hanoi, your chances are slim to none. But this could be the same in all hotels.
There were also a few water issues during our five day stay which resulted in the A/C cutting out on one occassion and there being no cold water on a couple more which meant having a hot shower - not what you want after walking all day round Hanoi!

But as I say, on the whole good. If they could back off the selling (I know it's all a part of Vietnam but...) this place would be outstanding.

• Stayed August 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Many of the people that work in this hotel are very kind and helpful. There are a few that are not. The rooms are ok for the money. They quote your room in dollars and give you an exchange rate worse than the dong is currently. Then upon my return I found out they charged my credit card for the room even though I paid them using my debit card!

• Stayed July 2012