“great find”

The Gourmet Corner Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 2,196 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: European, Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located on the top floor of Hanoi La Siesta Diamond hotel, the Gourmet Corner restaurant boast the finest view of Hanoi from the 12th floor, overlooking Hoan Kiem Lake, the Red River and the ever-growing skyline of Hanoi. The Gourmet Corner food menu is the combination of Vietnamese and some Western favorites. Our Vietnamese food options mostly are the dishes from the North. In northern Vietnam, a colder climate limits the production and availability of spices. As a result, the foods are often less spicy than those in other regions, especially the middle part of Vietnam. Black pepper is used in place of chili as the most popular ingredient to produce spicy flavors. Also, coriander is used commonly in most dishes. In general, northern Vietnamese cuisine is not bold in any particular taste - sweet, salty, spicy, bitter, or sour. Most northern Vietnamese foods feature light and balanced flavors that result from subtle combinations of many different flavoring ingredients. PS: Please be informed that your reservation request by email will be answered within 24 working hours or later depend on our work-load at that moment. Any urgent booking request should be made through the phone call. We are sorry for any inconvenience may cause.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant one night when we were looking for something to eat as we were heading back to our hotel which was in the same street. We asked at reception if it was o.k. for us to eat here as we were slightly underdressed, me in particular and it is part of the Hanoi Hotel Elegance. We were told there would be no problem.
The restaurant is on the top floor of this amazingly classy hotel and offers wonderful views of the city. The hotel is worth looking into if you are planning to visit Hanoi, it's not cheap but may be worthwhile particularly if not travelling on a budget. My partner and I read the brochure and we were amazed by some of the features of this place. I did take a brochure but can't find it however one of the features I do remember is that they have double glazed windows in order to filter out the incessant noise from the car and motor cycle horns which are constant in Vietnam but particularly in Hanoi.
When we got to the restaurant we were asked if we had reservations which we did not. The maitre'd a, young gentleman with impeccable manners and a good command of the English language informed us that they were booked solid which was quite obvious.
He did however offer us a table on the rooftop terrace if we were prepared to take a chance on the weather which was overcast and also it was quite breezy given that the restaurant is on the 12th or 13th floor. We accepted his offer as we were only looking for a quick, light meal to tide us over until breakfast.
I ordered a plate of fetuccine carbonara, as I really was hanging out for some Italian food even though I knew it probably was a bit of a risk given that I was in Vietnam for God's sake.
When it arrived, which was in a very short time, I can honestly say it was one of the best carbonaras I have ever had anywhere. The pasta was perfectly cooked "al dente" the texture of
the creamy garlic sauce was perfect and the parmesan they use is top quality.
My partner ordered some fried rice with chicken which was also very nice and which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had a small taste and I can vouch that it too, was pretty good. The two dishes cost us a total of $11.50. We booked to go back two nights later which was going to be our last night in the Old Quarter before heading off to Halong Bay.
This restaurant is a place where you can dress up if you want to which is what we felt like doing..and not feel out of place as the staff and decor is of a very high standard but there is no problem if you go there in shorts and a smart Tee shirt.
We were shown to a booth next to a window so that we could get a good view, something the maitre'd promised he would reserve for us the previous time we were there. By the way the views are spectacular.
We ordered garlic bread to start, followed by beef crumbled with salad. Unfortunately although very tasty the beef could have been a little more tender but certainly by no means unpleasant. For desert, my partner had a wonderful, light home made ice cream and I had a Creme Brulee which was to die for. I am not a wine drinker but I do read and my partner enjoys a wine from time to time, so by looking over the wine list we could see that they have a good variety of wines from all over the world which should suit most palates. Total cost of the meal $30.00au including two drinks.
The staff, service, quality and decor is impeccable. If in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, do yourself a favour and have at least one meal in this top quality restaurant, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank louis x

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth
“Good Food, Drinks, View and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went here twice on our trip, which is unusual for us considering there are so many places to try in Hanoi. But both times we were glad we came. The menu has both western and traditional Vietnamese options, and there was also a French Menu on trial on our second visit. The French Grand Marnier Prawns were the best prawns we'd had... anywhere. All the other food we had (all from the Viet menu) was really good, comparable to any good Vietnamese Restaurant. They have an amazing Creme Brulee!!
The drinks are a bit more expensive than other places, but they are better quality too. Reasonable selection of wines, the cocktails are much stronger than cheep places, but the beer is the same.
I would say what makes this place stand out above the rest is not its height and amazing view :-), but the service by the staff. They are so helpful and attentive without hanging over the top of you. The Chef was also very friendly, explaining his new menu.
I would recommend this place a visit for a special occasion or just a relaxing night out.

2 Thank Doublege11
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went to give it a try based on their number 1 ranking on Tripadvisor and I was certainly not disappointed.

Let me first of all stay it is not fine dining but just very good table service and the menu provides simple dishes, hamburgers etc, as well as some more interesting food.
I tried the beef in bamboo dish which was outstanding.
The staff is excellent; price is low.

A few points to take into consideration; during our dinner there was no background music which resulted that we could hear every conversation around us. The starters are weak in my opinion and would advice to go just for main course and desert.

California City, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW factor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'm new to this website so this is my first recommendation for this amazing team of staff working in this restaurant.
Despite the fact that we came in without booking a table, they kindly arranged us a table on the terrace where we could see the breath-taking view of the whole city. It was a bit hot and breeze when we dined there; but the foods and the outstanding service from the staff made up for all the sweat on my shirt.
We will come back. Thank you.

1 Thank Peterw00d
“The best restaurant in Hanoi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was attracted by comments here and would love to give a try. We booked the table one day earlier and requested for a window seats. It was very nice to see the city but it was dark when we arrived. If we could have arrived a bit earlier before the sunset, it would be perfect!

We ordered Crispy spring roll. It was so good. The taste was balanced and not too oily. Then we had beef and chicken Pho, which were not so surprising but still very good. The most delicious were the bread crumb beef which is a new dish and seafood fried rice which is the most tasty one i have never had! The food was value for money.

The place is very decent and atmosphere was brilliant. The staff name Tho was extremely detail- minded. She taught us how the eat the food in a correct way before we asked her.
She took the initiative to take photos for us when we"r taking our camera out.

If you go to Hanoi next time, dont miss this restaurant .

1 Thank W8800