“Excellent Hotel Chain in Hanoi.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rising Dragon Estate Hotel

Rising Dragon Estate Hotel
Ranked #53 of 569 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Hotel Chain in Hanoi.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

By prior arrangement picked up late at night at airport by Rising Dragon 3 hotel transport to be told that the hotel was experiencing water problems and could not accommodate us. Taken to the hotel and provided with a drink while hotel made arrangements for us to stay at the Rising Dragon 2 Hotel. Taken at no cost to Rising Dragon 2 Hotel and although late at night staff and previously closed restaurant was opened to serve us some very welcome beers. A pleasant hotel with friendly staff, well located. Staff of Rising Dragon 3 contacted us in the morning to see how we had fared overnight and indicated that as water problem had been fixed we could come to hotel. Elected to remain at Rising Dragon 2 rather than check-in at another hotel. Both hotels offer excellent value for money and we would stay at either hotel again.

Room Tip: Book in advance as hotels are popular. But be aware that some rooms do not have windows.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank crocnsw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed in one of the suite rooms for several days with our 20-month-old son. This is one of the few great room options for families in Hanoi. There are budget rooms but also a number of suites with balconies, kitchenettes, sitting areas and a separate bedroom. If you are traveling with kids and need a little extra room, this is a great option. It's a bit of a walk to the lake, but not more than 15 minutes. It's also a quiet area at night (relative to other streets). The train passes in the morning but did not bother us much. If you are willing to trade location (just a bit further from the lake, on the edge of the Old Quarter) for space, this is a great option. Plus, the staff and management are absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite and request one with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pita8
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I recently came back from Hanoi, where I had the most amazing experience in The Rising Dragon 3 Hotel. It felt like a second home to myself, and the two others that I was travelling with, who had never been to Vietnam before.

A staff member at the hotel, called Huy, took care of us at every step of the way, and made us feel like we were part of a 'Rising Dragon family'. His hospitality was second to none, and if it hadn't been for him, our trip would have been far less enjoyable.

To anyone who visits Hanoi, I would suggest that you definately stay that the Rising Dragon 3, If only to visit Huy, and make a friend for life.

10 out of 10.

Room Tip: A room facing the street has remarkable views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as all have said the rooms are excellent very spacious the biggest i have ever stayed in so if you dont want to stay in a box and want a clean friendly hotel this is the place to stay.The only fault is the beds are very hard but that is all over vietnam I did say to the staff that i thought the beds are to hard for me they said that they would put more padding on the bed for me but i then left to stay in Halong bay and return to a different room the bed did seem softer. The breakfast was very nice and made fresh. Yes the railway line is close it actually did not bother us once the balcony door was shut you could barely here it . All the staff were very friendly but Steven at reception was wonderful he told us different places to eat each day they were all fantastic and not expensive. These people want you in there hotel and they really do look after you well done and Thank you to all staff

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and ask for a soft bed they might put extra padding on mattress
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Having arrived at the hotel at 4.30am after a 14 hour train journey, we were greeted by extremely friendly staff who were very accomodating. They found us a temporary room to stay in (free of charge) whilst they waited for the people in our room to check out. They also said we could later have breakfast, which was made to order, free of charge also - even though we shouldn't have checked in by then!
The rooms were huge with a kitchenette, laptop and sofa area and they were great value also.
The staff booked our Ha Long bay trip which was brilliant and very good value and there was no extra cost to book through them.
Staff even offered to go to the shops for us to find mosquito repellent! We asked if they knew of any take away restaurants, but they said they would go to a restaurant for us and bring this to our room, again at no extra charge!

The staff were probably the best I have ever come across and I would thoroughly recommend staying at the Rising Dragon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_Jon1515
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Really good value for money - nice and clean, great sized suite which includes a living room and kitchen area, although we didn't use the kitchen because a tasty breakfast served downstairs was included and eating out in Vietnam is cheap. Before I booked I was aware that beds in Vietnam tend to be quite firm or hard compared to western beds and that the beds at Rising Dragon are Vietnamese style but softer than a lot of other Vietnamese beds. Although I would have prefered a softer western style bed and it was a little firm for me, I found the bed comfortable and slept well. The hotel is located right in the heart of the old quarter and within walking distance of many tourist attractions. However, our suite was surprising quiet, save the occasional train noises (which didn't bother me) as the hotel is near the railway line.

What the hotel really excels with is its staff. They are all very polite and the level of English spoken is very good. After checking in we were given lots of helpful advice and recommended a great restaurant (Highway 4 - so good we went twice! And co-incidentally it's also recommended by Lonely Planet). I have heard that some hotels can be pushy with booking tours and it's not always a good idea to book through your hotel, but having read reviews here I felt confident booking through Rising Dragon. Unfortunately a typhoon prevented us from booking a tour to Halong Bay so we chose to go to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc instead. The tour guides were good and we had a great day out. I didn't do research on how much a tour to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc should cost so can't comment on how the cost compares to similar tours booked elsewhere but it seemed reasonable for me and it was much more convenient than spending time booking another way.

I have been quite happy to recommend this hotel just based on our first couple of days but felt I need to add what happened next. My boyfriend suddenly experienced agonising pain on our third day, meaning we had leave the cooking class we had been so looking forward to. Ms Ang recommended a good doctor (Family Medical Practice) who diagnosed my boyfriend with kidney stones, one of which had dropped into the tube connecting to his bladder, blocking it and preventing his kidney from working. He needed further tests and treatment at Hanoi French Hospital so was transferred. The care he received at both medical institutions was very good, in clean environments and very prompt. It was an extremely scary situation as he stayed in hospital for two nights, had to have emergency surgery, which in the early stages we were told may have had to have been done in Bangkok! This left me in the hotel on my own but the staff were all extremely supportive and did so much to help me out. They cancelled flights for us (my Vietnamese phrase book doesn't extend to telling an airline that we can't take the flight scheduled to take off in a hour because one of the party is having an emergency operation to remove a kidney stone!!), moved people to one of their sister hotels nearby so my boyfriend and I didn't have to check out on the day we originally planned or even move rooms (thank you so much to those people that moved!), and Mr Huy give me lift to the hospital on his bike! Mr Huy lives near the hospital and after coming into the hospital with me to see how my boyfriend was doing, he went home, got a spare mobile phone and put his number on speed dial so I can call anytime if I need help! I didn't need to use the phone in the end but what a generous thing to do!

Ms Anh and the rest of the staff really have gone far beyond what any hotel is required to do and genuinely seem concerned for my boyfriend's and my welfare. I am extremely grateful for all their support as it made the whole experience a million times easier. I have read that my experience is not uncommon in Vietnam and I'm not saying another hotel wouldn't do the same, but I can say from personal experience that if you are as unlucky as us to have some kind of emergency while staying at the Rising Dragon, the staff will do anything they can to help you out. For that reason and for all the more standard reasons detailed above, I cannot recommend them enough!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny M
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Agree with rest that cleanliness and staff were excellent. However, some important caveats that I wish I had known. The large, well equipped family suite with closed off partition for adults is right next to the train crossing. So at 5 am each morning there is a lengthy blasting horn - not so great with young children. And the location is just far enough out of the central area that it made walking with kids difficult. Not a great deal in the immediate vicinity. However, all up it was great value and can recommend, especially if not travelling with very young children.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family