“My home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rising Dragon Estate Hotel

Rising Dragon Estate Hotel
Ranked #51 of 565 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“My home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I recently came back from Hanoi, where I had the most amazing experience in The Rising Dragon 3 Hotel. It felt like a second home to myself, and the two others that I was travelling with, who had never been to Vietnam before.

A staff member at the hotel, called Huy, took care of us at every step of the way, and made us feel like we were part of a 'Rising Dragon family'. His hospitality was second to none, and if it hadn't been for him, our trip would have been far less enjoyable.

To anyone who visits Hanoi, I would suggest that you definately stay that the Rising Dragon 3, If only to visit Huy, and make a friend for life.

10 out of 10.

Room Tip: A room facing the street has remarkable views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as all have said the rooms are excellent very spacious the biggest i have ever stayed in so if you dont want to stay in a box and want a clean friendly hotel this is the place to stay.The only fault is the beds are very hard but that is all over vietnam I did say to the staff that i thought the beds are to hard for me they said that they would put more padding on the bed for me but i then left to stay in Halong bay and return to a different room the bed did seem softer. The breakfast was very nice and made fresh. Yes the railway line is close it actually did not bother us once the balcony door was shut you could barely here it . All the staff were very friendly but Steven at reception was wonderful he told us different places to eat each day they were all fantastic and not expensive. These people want you in there hotel and they really do look after you well done and Thank you to all staff

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and ask for a soft bed they might put extra padding on mattress
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Having arrived at the hotel at 4.30am after a 14 hour train journey, we were greeted by extremely friendly staff who were very accomodating. They found us a temporary room to stay in (free of charge) whilst they waited for the people in our room to check out. They also said we could later have breakfast, which was made to order, free of charge also - even though we shouldn't have checked in by then!
The rooms were huge with a kitchenette, laptop and sofa area and they were great value also.
The staff booked our Ha Long bay trip which was brilliant and very good value and there was no extra cost to book through them.
Staff even offered to go to the shops for us to find mosquito repellent! We asked if they knew of any take away restaurants, but they said they would go to a restaurant for us and bring this to our room, again at no extra charge!

The staff were probably the best I have ever come across and I would thoroughly recommend staying at the Rising Dragon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_Jon1515
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Really good value for money - nice and clean, great sized suite which includes a living room and kitchen area, although we didn't use the kitchen because a tasty breakfast served downstairs was included and eating out in Vietnam is cheap. Before I booked I was aware that beds in Vietnam tend to be quite firm or hard compared to western beds and that the beds at Rising Dragon are Vietnamese style but softer than a lot of other Vietnamese beds. Although I would have prefered a softer western style bed and it was a little firm for me, I found the bed comfortable and slept well. The hotel is located right in the heart of the old quarter and within walking distance of many tourist attractions. However, our suite was surprising quiet, save the occasional train noises (which didn't bother me) as the hotel is near the railway line.

What the hotel really excels with is its staff. They are all very polite and the level of English spoken is very good. After checking in we were given lots of helpful advice and recommended a great restaurant (Highway 4 - so good we went twice! And co-incidentally it's also recommended by Lonely Planet). I have heard that some hotels can be pushy with booking tours and it's not always a good idea to book through your hotel, but having read reviews here I felt confident booking through Rising Dragon. Unfortunately a typhoon prevented us from booking a tour to Halong Bay so we chose to go to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc instead. The tour guides were good and we had a great day out. I didn't do research on how much a tour to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc should cost so can't comment on how the cost compares to similar tours booked elsewhere but it seemed reasonable for me and it was much more convenient than spending time booking another way.

I have been quite happy to recommend this hotel just based on our first couple of days but felt I need to add what happened next. My boyfriend suddenly experienced agonising pain on our third day, meaning we had leave the cooking class we had been so looking forward to. Ms Ang recommended a good doctor (Family Medical Practice) who diagnosed my boyfriend with kidney stones, one of which had dropped into the tube connecting to his bladder, blocking it and preventing his kidney from working. He needed further tests and treatment at Hanoi French Hospital so was transferred. The care he received at both medical institutions was very good, in clean environments and very prompt. It was an extremely scary situation as he stayed in hospital for two nights, had to have emergency surgery, which in the early stages we were told may have had to have been done in Bangkok! This left me in the hotel on my own but the staff were all extremely supportive and did so much to help me out. They cancelled flights for us (my Vietnamese phrase book doesn't extend to telling an airline that we can't take the flight scheduled to take off in a hour because one of the party is having an emergency operation to remove a kidney stone!!), moved people to one of their sister hotels nearby so my boyfriend and I didn't have to check out on the day we originally planned or even move rooms (thank you so much to those people that moved!), and Mr Huy give me lift to the hospital on his bike! Mr Huy lives near the hospital and after coming into the hospital with me to see how my boyfriend was doing, he went home, got a spare mobile phone and put his number on speed dial so I can call anytime if I need help! I didn't need to use the phone in the end but what a generous thing to do!

Ms Anh and the rest of the staff really have gone far beyond what any hotel is required to do and genuinely seem concerned for my boyfriend's and my welfare. I am extremely grateful for all their support as it made the whole experience a million times easier. I have read that my experience is not uncommon in Vietnam and I'm not saying another hotel wouldn't do the same, but I can say from personal experience that if you are as unlucky as us to have some kind of emergency while staying at the Rising Dragon, the staff will do anything they can to help you out. For that reason and for all the more standard reasons detailed above, I cannot recommend them enough!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny M
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Agree with rest that cleanliness and staff were excellent. However, some important caveats that I wish I had known. The large, well equipped family suite with closed off partition for adults is right next to the train crossing. So at 5 am each morning there is a lengthy blasting horn - not so great with young children. And the location is just far enough out of the central area that it made walking with kids difficult. Not a great deal in the immediate vicinity. However, all up it was great value and can recommend, especially if not travelling with very young children.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LondonKjc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

This was really a great hotel, and such value for your money! I know that hotels in Asia are far cheap than western countries, but Rising Dragon 3 really takes it a few notches higher. We were in Hanoi for 3 nights when we stayed at the Rising Dragon 3. Our room was more like an apartment than a standard hotel. We even had a laptop in our room to use without charge. Each time we came in or out if the hotel, a hotel staff greeted us, asked how our day was, or asked if we needed anything. The location of the hotel was also quite good. Hanoi is one if those cities that is pretty easy to get lost in. There are a lof intertwining streets. But we found Rising Dragon 3 to be pretty convenient for wherever we wanted to go. We walked everywhere. The hotel is about a 10-15 min walk from one of the very popular Vietnamese restaurants (which is delicious) called Quan An Ngon.
We left Hanoi for a 3 day Halong Bay cruise, after which we came back only to catch our flight out. The hotel offered to let us shower, store our bags, and call a taxi for us upon returning from the cruise, free of charge. This was entirely unexpected, and most appreciated. The hotel really went out of their way to make our stay fantastic.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank g-foodhunter
whynotgoldenkey, Manager at Rising Dragon Estate Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
It's great to get positive feedback in such a thorough manner. Our primary goal is to provide excellent service to each and every guest, so I'm pleased to read your response. I'm also glad to know that the location, room, amenities, and price fit your needs. Please accept my sincere thanks for this review!
Vittorio Veneto, Italia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Beautiful room, fantastic breakfast (not only the buffet, but you can also order from the menu which is still included), very kind and professional staff... Highly recommended with a very good price.
Just one cons: make sure the construction work behind the hotel is finished... From 6.30 am until 6pm becomes extremely noisy! Not the hotel fault at all... Nothing they can do about it.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Orsotony
Happy to hear that you had a good experience with our hotel. I completely agree about the construction at the adjoining property. We did our best to make sure they began and ended work at reasonable hours, but could do little more except try to endure it for a few days. Please accept my gratitude for your patience! I'm happy to report that construction over there is done, so, if you're in town again, feel free to come back for a "hammer-free" experience!