“Many vegetarian options”

Ranked #176 of 2,681 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The REAL Kangaroo Cafe (since 1994) is a Western Style Tourist Cafe as well as one of Hanoi's Oldest Tour Operators & not just another Booking agent. We're ONLY at 18 Bao Khanh St Ha Noi, just around the corner from St Josephs Cathedral. At the cafe we've got Vietnamese, Vegetarian & Western food at local prices & with proper western style portions too as well as very reasonably priced, "genuine small group" tours to Ha Long Bay, Sa Pa & beyond. Check us out on our Facebook or You Tube Channels & you'll see very genuine reviews as well as REAL pics (Never Photoshopped) & Videos of exactly what we've been doing for over 25 years.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Been here with my daughter as the wife and the little one preferred to get some rest at the hotel. We did not have much trouble finding this place and were pleasantly surprised to find a page full of vegetarian options while we were in Vietnam! I ordered for their Giant Veggie Burger (made from of pumpkin, sweet potato and potato) that came with salad on the side and my daughter ordered their soupy flat veg noodles that contained egg. Both were very good and the size of the portions were very large. I gobbled up the Burger and my daughter was a bit slow on the noodles and had most of it. It's a pity that we could not go back to try their other options but I know where to go when i am in Hanoi next time.

1  Thank Muthiah

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have no idea what Australia has to do with this establishment - perhaps it was started by some a while ago? Whatever the answer, I saw no evidence of any Australians in residence!

Firmly backpacker-oriented, although the plain cheese baguette I ordered was (a) plain as requested and (b) quite nice actually.

If you're walking past (as we were) and want sustenance then it will suffice, but I would not make a special trip.

1  Thank AA_Gull
RealKangarooCafe, Owner at The Real Kangaroo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Another suspicious post like the one beneath it.

It seems like you don't like back packers or places that cater to them & my place isn't as you or your partner described but we're happy to have people from all walks of life, all socio- economic backgrounds, all nationalities & nearly everyone .... except maybe you two.

Travel more & it'll broaden your outlook & hopefully stop you being such a would be snob.

One big problem with your review was this ...

You reviewed something we don't have on our menu ???

Better luck next time as they say !!!

I don't believe you or your other Kiwi mate have ever been to my place.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

No sign of anything Australian apart from a few aussie tunes when we happened upon this place. There were 3 local girls serving and a local chef. The girls were friendly enough

It's down in the basement and smelled of mothballs.

Very much for backpackers. Toilets were a bit grim.

Nothing to commend it during the day time from what we saw

Food just ok and certainly not cheap

2  Thank Minkamonka
RealKangarooCafe, Owner at The Real Kangaroo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

It's amazing how many tourists there are without cameras ???

On our menu we ask that you "please let us know if there's anything you're not happy with" & instead of saving it up to have a go at us here, had you had mentioned you weren't happy with the food or "grim" toilets we'd (please see our TA pics of our very clean toilets) have been happy for you to choose something else.

BTW, we're at street level & not in a basement .....

Are you sure you've actually been here ?

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Having been in Hanoi for one week ... I searched this restaurant out for a good burger. I ordered the deluxe burger (with bacon, egg, beet root) and an ice tea. The burger comes with a small salad and fries.

The ice tea .... 4 stars ... good sized mug with sufficient ice
Fries ............. 5 stars .... really good as it was fresh and hot ... different than I've eaten before with some sesame seeds or something like that on them.
Salad ............. 2 stars ... Their vinaigrette dressing was mostly vinegar ... and wasn't to my taste.
The Burger .... 2 stars .... I wanted to like this ... this is what I came for ... but the burger was tasteless ... It was like it was not 100% beef but had been cut down with some other ingrediants (maybe the manager can clarify what their burger consists of). I prefer the bacon on my burgers to be nice and crispy so it adds flavor. The bacon on this burger was barely cooked and not at all crispy. The beet root did not add much flavor. I was not offered any condiments (mustard, hot sauce, ketchup) ... so I ate it as delivered.

I left full as it is a good sized burger. The meal filled me up ... but is not worth a return trip.

2  Thank Daniel M

It's amazing how many tourists there are without cameras ???

I’m expecting more posts like these as I’ve had a number of threats & posts from people contradicting each other wildly about the tours we sell.

To this poster we simply say this that on our menu we ask that you "please let us know if there's anything you're not happy with" & instead of saving it up to have a go at us here, had you had mentioned you weren't happy with the food you could’ve ordered something else.

We’ve got plenty of staff & the girls are always happy to help as am I.

Our hamburgers are all Aussie beef from the Ha Noi Smallgoods company & when you accuse us that we “cut down” our beef ......

It’s a nasty thing to accuse someone of & especially without proof but then again you’re another tourist without a camera.

I don’t think you’ve been to my shop let alone ate one of my Hamburgers, I’m sorry but with 4 posts on 1 day, it’s just too big a stretch for me.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited as a family of 5 just recently and were blown away by the kindness and and attention to detail of Max and his staff. Our kids loved the food and were full of praise about the tours. You know kids can be tough critics buy ours said to give max and his team 5 gold stars for a sensational effort and for making us part of their family while we were away. We will be back next year Max to sample your hospitality and good humour.

2  Thank Sealdewheel d