“Great food. Cold beer. Extremely Friendly. Good travel advice.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kangaroo Cafe

Kangaroo Cafe
Ranked #114 of 2,196 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Cafe, Asian, Vietnamese, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Since 1994, The REAL Kangaroo Cafe (TM) has been providing great food, drinks & reasonably priced tours for singles, couples, families & small groups. At the Real Kangaroo Cafe (TM) we serve Vietnamese, Vegetarian & Western food & all at local prices. Our famous Hamburgers, Mugs (not eye baths) of Tea & Coffee (with real milk too) & the coldest beer in Viet Nam have always proven to be popular with our guests. We come in for some grief here on TA sometimes but you'll notice that it's always from a new breed of tourist, the ones with no cameras. It's a recent phenomena called astroturfing & we wish there was a lot more done to get rid of these fake posters. The best way to tell a fake post is that they're recently joined, post no pics or videos & almost no real info. You'll find our Mob here at the cafe to be fun, helpful & decent too & we really do look forward to meeting you in Ha Noi.
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food. Cold beer. Extremely Friendly. Good travel advice.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place was an oasis in more ways than one.

Great food: I really don't care much for Vietnamese food, and I enjoyed the three meals I had here while visiting Hanoi.

Cold beer: 'nuff said

Extremely Friendly: The guy running the shop goes out of his way to introduce himself to everyone, and to help in any way he can. An interesting, generous guy.

Good Travel Advice: There are "travel agents" on every street corner in the area, and while most will not outright rip you off, I wouldn't trust them as much as the Kangaroo Cafe.

I doubt I'll be back in Hanoi any time soon, however, I would go out of my way to recommend this place to anyone visiting.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DukeDukeDukeDuke

Brisbane, Australia
“Tasty food. Big portions. Air conditioning!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ate here twice while in Hanoi's Old Quarter. The first time for a snack (sesame fries), the second time for a meal. Whilst roaming the streets of the Old Quarter, at the mercy of Hanoi's humidity, The Real Kangaroo Cafe presents itself as somewhat of an oasis. It's air conditioned, with a pleasant atmosphere and staff.

In terms of food - between us, my wife and I tried their beef burger, veggie burger, sesame fries, vanilla milkshake and banana shake. All were reasonably priced, large in size and most importantly...quite tasty. The veggie burger wasn't particularly memorable, but the beef burger was second only to one I tasted at The Gourmet Corner. It was juicy and well-seasoned, as were the hand-cut (and unique) sesame fries.

I can't speak for the Vietnamese dishes, as we'd been Vietnamesed-out by a walking food tour, only that morning. Looking at other reviews, I'm sure they're quite good, too.

All in all, recommended.

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Greasy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I've got a sore belly from a greasy burger. Surely there are better burgers in Hanoi!! Very expensive for what you get too. We've been eating for half the price elsewhere, silly us!!!

3 Thank sasha060
RealKangarooCafe, Owner at Kangaroo Cafe, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
sasha060 from Melbourne claims my hamburger was greasy ?

As is always the case, this very short (3 lines only), very critical post comes without a photo.

We've had lots of ex-pat singles & couples without cameras before but this is the 1st time we've had a family of 6 who are travelling without one ???

As someone who was travelling in a family group of 6 I'd have thought 1 of them might have had a camera ???

The other 5 people ate what ? Were they happy & most importantly, why didn't you speak to me face to face ?

I don't believe this anonymous poster came to my shop.
Hanoi, Vietnam
“nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

It is a nice place, i was hungry for a burger and was fed up with the noodles and bagpacking so we tried this place, burger was nice moreover the service was very good. Beer is nice and chilled and staff is friendly.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank john1162
“Not a bad place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm not Australian so I can't coment on if the food was Aussie or not. We ate here because my girlfriend is vegetarian and really wanted a veggie burger after because in Asia for over 2 years.

I enjoyed my meat burger, but her veggie burger left something to be desired. The patty was basically just deep fried mash potatoes. And once she bit in it squished all over the place. We also didn't get any ketchup or mustard or mayo to put on our burgers.

That being said, the prices were ok, and the staff was very friendly.

Overall I would recommend this place, unless your looking for a veggie burger.