“Excellent and modernist”

Hanoi Legacy Hotel Hoan Kiem
Ranked #149 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed November 26, 2011

In short - good location in the heart of the old town, friendly staff, good brekky, very modern style in the rooms ( I think the stairway will catch up sometime ) and great balcony views if your room has one. One thing - room strangely had a 'cooler' box rather than a mini fridge, this was changed for a mini-fridge as soon as I mentioned it so top marks there too.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hochi1

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in this hotel, before and after our trip to halong bay. First room was nice, even a jaccuzi in the bathroom, though you wouldn't want to take a closer look at the installations. The room we got after our return from the trip was terrible, damp and moldy and there were bugs in the floor (801)- but after telling the reception we could immediately change to another room. Sad thing besides: Ms. Hoa from the reception actually still owes us 30$ for booking a cheaper, slower train for us but charging us the other one- we only noticed that on the train. Besides staff was really friendly and helpful. We would stay there again but trust less in what Ms. Hoa tells us.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank ElOViI
AEMhotelhanoi, General Manager at Hanoi Legacy Hotel Hoan Kiem, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear Ms. Elovil

On behaft of AN HUNG hotel(old A-EM hotel Hanoi), I thank you for your comment and please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay. To prove to that we take every compaint seriously, I would like to offer you a complimentary two-night stay at our NEW AN HUNG hotel(with new organization and management) at your most convenient time.

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit in Hanoi. Please fell free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments conrcerning your stay. Thank you

Best Regards,

Hoang Thanh.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

I extended my stay in this hotel for an extra three days at the end of a group tour through Vietnam. An excellent decision just to get Hanoi know a bit better. The hotel is right in the centre of Hanoi in the old quarters. The staff is very helpful and my room was clean and well kept. Good restaurants at reasonable prices in the heighbourhood. Highly recommended for any traveller.

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank willemfeikedeboer
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We had boooked a hotel by internet at home for our first 2 nights in Hanoi. When we arrived at the address it appeared that the hotel was broken down, so we had to look for another one. We met a man in the streets who recommended the A & EM Hotel.We went there and booked a room: we don' t regret it. It is in the middleof the old quarter (The Night Market is around the corner) but when you're in your room you hear nothing of all the noise outside. The room is good and the beds are very fine: you need a good nightrest when you've just arrived after a long travel.
The personel is very friendly. You can use internet for free. We can strongly recommend this hotel for your visit to Hanoi
Anton & Jacqueline , Voorhout, Holland

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank goodlocation
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, before and after our trip to Halong Bay.
We got an airport pick-up by the hotel, which wasn't cheap, but was convenient.
Our check-in was fine, the lobby was simple. Free internet computers were ancient and the keys on the keyboard on the one I was using didn't all work...super annoying.
The room was just ok. It wasn't as clean as the other hotels we stayed in in Ho Chi Minh or Hoi An. To me, cleanliness is the most important thing...not fanciness. It looked like it was originally nice, but was never upkept. The walls were dirty, the floors too. No outside window either, which felt very prison-like.
The worst part was that there was no hot water. It was very cold in Hanoi, so we would have loved to have a hot (even warm) shower or bath before bed or in the morning. They sent someone up and assured us to wait ten minutes, but we never got any. We called several times, but they never resolved it. Very disappointing.
Breakfast was very Vietnamese...soup. We through together a sandwich which was sufficient for us.
We also had a friend call and leave a message with the front desk to call them (locally). I asked the gentleman on reception that the cost would be for a local call.... he assured me it was free. So I made the very short call. When we went to check out, they tried to charge us $5 u.s. for the call. I explained that I asked before I called and was assured it was free (there are no long distance charges in the whole country of Vietnam anyways, it's all local calling..so $5 is crazy anyways). He said he'd call someone.... and then offered 10% off. I refused to pay, since I'd checked before. Finally, they let me go.
So... for the same price really, I would try for the #1 pick on tripadvisor instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hate-being-cold
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We spent three nights in this hotel. The first was absolutely fine, then we went travelling for two nights and returned to the A & EM to find our rooms had been up-graded. We were delighted with our new rooms and with the service we received, especially from Operation Manager, Nguyen Van Tri, who could not have been more helpful during our stay. The two bellboys were also very good. One in particular not only found us quizzically studying a map in the night market ( very, very busy!) and showed us the way back to the hotel, but also looked after us very well as we waited in the lobby for a long time before our flight departure. Thanks to them all. Nora & David, Northern Ireland

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank NoraandDave
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Overall I'd rate this place a 4 across all 3-star VN hotels, but just average overall due to service mistakes and design mess ups. Also, much of the walking action in Hanoi centers around Hoan Kiem, and though it's not really far as the crow flies, when you take into account the difficult to navigate side streets of Hanoi and the traffic mess therein, it actually is a bit of a burden getting all the way back to Ngo Gach street from the Lake Area - taxis don't want to take you there (it's a tiny alley) and the pedecabs like to charge ridiculous sums - one wanted 100,000 dong per person for the 4 blocks! Not as convenient as it seems.

Pros:
- redesign of rooms proceeding apace, the finished upgraded rooms are nice looking and clean (though our room 501 needs some wall painting, one wall was covered in scrapes and marks)
- the new full-service jacuzzi/tub/shower entertainment in the bathroom is nice
- lobby is small but nice
- breakfast not bad for a low-quality breakfast - at least the omelet person was there
- staff was generally friendly, concierge fairly helpful
- price (about US$45 per room per night) was good for value

Cons:
- I suggest getting an undated room, and I suggest the front or the back rooms (x01 and x05 by floor I think) - the middle rooms are smaller and no windows, darker
- The shower-tub (out of Total Recall) was great, but the installation was amateur - there is a huge gap behind the unit visible from the sink, and all kinds of mold and junk back there
- The towel bar in 501 is directly above the toilet seat; if you are over about 165cm/5'3" (or whatever that is in inches), you will no doubt forget and whack your head - repeatedly; this must have been designed and/or installed by the generally shorter Vietnamese
- The towels are paper thin and junk; most people probably see this at many many lower cost hotels, and even some better hotels, but there is really no excuse for this
- Some rooms int he back are not reached by wireless (considering wireless routers are real cheap and the labor for stringing the wires in VN is very cheap, there is no excuse for this)

Then there was the problem with the car service. We called many days in advance to arrange pick up for 4 people from Noi Bai airport. When we arrived - on schedule - there was no one waiting there to pick us up, no signs (everyone else at other hotels had signs, so this was unusual). I called and was told sorry, someone would be there soon. No less than 10 minutes later, a guy shows up and brings us to his car - no explanation for the lateness (my guess: they forgot or were too busy and didn't make it to the airport in time). his car is a basic, non-labeled Toyota, which is not appropriate in Vietnam with all the scams going on. We told them 4 people, but the sedan only held 4 people with not enough room for even 1 bag each. So we waited some more - the driver didn't speak much English either, which didn't help problem-solving - and I told him we would get a taxi, at which point a friend he had called showed up with a smaller second car (also unmarked - who were these guys?). They took us to the hotel with no further problems. Once at the hotel, I told the front desk what had happened, and how I expected to pay for only 1 car, and the front desk attended just shook her head (yes) and said uh huh. When we went to return to Noi Bai for our flight home, I booked a car to the airport again the night before for 7:15AM; no problem I was told, I would get a van this time for 25$ (instead of 20$ for the car). Next morning at 7AM, the bell service said "7:15 right?", but there was no van or car at 7:15AM; the front desk attendant said "I thought you said 7:30AM" (not plausible as even the bell service knew it was 7:15AM); at 7:45 the van came. At check out, sure enough they charged me for two cars on the way in at 20$ each. I complained immediately and said this was poor planning by the hotel and not our fault: 4 people with luggage should mean a van not a small car, etc etc. The attendant's response: "I'm so sorry, but if you don't pay, the driver will have to pay it himself"(!!!!!!) As we were now going to be late for the check in and I was arguing over 20$, I signed off and said I would speak to someone later (which I am doing now).

Admittedly the car service problems won't (hopefully) happen to most people, and if you don't check behind the tub or bang your head on the towel bar over the toilet, and if you don't get a wireless-less room, you'll have a very good stay here I would imagine.

In general though, for Hanoi old town this is a clean decent place, but the staff needs a lot of work, and it's relatively inconvenient. I would try one of the many many other places first next time until they improve themselves.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SeattleSeth
AEMhotelhanoi, General Manager at Hanoi Legacy Hotel Hoan Kiem, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Dear A&Em Guest,

Greetings from A&Em Hanoi and thank you for staying with us recently. The team and I are very pleased to receive your valuable comments and we would like to thank you for your efforts into posting such constructive review, your perspective is very important to us and we have taken on board all your remarks.

First of all and on behalf of the management team, I would like to personally apologize for not making your stay at A &Em Hanoi a memorable experience however; it is with pride that we have taken on board your positive comments regarding our Taxi Driver as well as room designed. Thank you once again for sharing your point of view with our readers
I am personally sorry we were not able to please you somehow and my team and I will continue working hard in our efforts to please every A & Em customer.

P/s: On the other side, after checking in our system and reservations made in around 30 days we have no guest from Taiwan stay in room 501 as this room is reserved for a long staying guest from Paris.

With kind regards,