“Priceless Experience”
Review of Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #38 of 406 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Well, it was my very first time traveling alone in Hanoi which made me pretty skeptical about everything.

However, I had never had that thought again ever since I checked into the hostel. Excellent value for the money. Convenience certified.

Special thanks to Candy who had made this trip so memorable and extraordinary with her 24/7 hospitality. Cheers.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Cisna
There are newer reviews for Hanoi Hostel

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked on arrival at the Hang Vai property and were pleased with the clean room, hot shower and excellent wifi speed. Breakfast is a fried egg (we asked for more than one egg and they obliged) with as much sliced bread as you want to toast. Bananas and tea/coffee are always out and free. The "free beer" from 6-7 is at the other property and the beer is served from a large water bottle into very small cups. I felt bad going up there too many times, so if you're like me - don't think you'll be getting your money back in beer during this hour. It was a nice time to socialize and meet other guests.

One negative - they kicked us out. Whatever time check out is - they came to our room at that time and told us to pack up, they had booked our room for today. So we scrambled to get our things together and were back out on the street. This can be avoided if you tell them exactly how long you're staying or reconfirm every night before you decide to stay another day. It was our mistake not to tell the night before we'd like to stay again, but I also suggested they make it clear to guests that they must reconfirm any additional nights in advance (unlike other places where you can stay as long as you want as long as you check out on time that day).

Overall, I would say it's a good place to stay. Customer service isn't a priority and they seemed to resent that we didn't book the Ha Long tour with them.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I would rate 5 stars for the location of this hostel. It is located right in the center of the old town. If you prefer to discover the old Ha Noi by walking this can be one of the best options.
A plus for this hostel is that people can easily book a tour to many places in the north of Vietnam with many information provided by staff here. I would recommend you to go to Sapa if you want to know more about the culture of minority people in Vietnam even nowadays it can be quite commercial and touristic upthere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bao_hk2000
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I found this place on trip advisor before i flew to Hanoi. it didn't disappoint.

On arrival we booked our room. services were explained to us at the desk before we went into our dorm. the breakfast isn't anything to brag about, but if your like me, you dont pass up a free feed, especially and omelette. from 6-7pm was 'Happy Hour' where you get to drink as much beer as they can store in their fridge for FREE, great opportunity to meet other people and see what their plans are for their stay in Hanoi, this takes place on the roof of the hostel, where you can get unlimited coffee or tea 24/7, its also smoke friendly up there, good place to chill out after a long day of backpacking.

The staff were helpful in booking tours of Sapa, just so you know, when booking the sapa tour, GO BY TRAIN!!! the bus is awful and they treat you so badly, My phone went 'missing' on the bus and I received nothing but a 'Get off my bus' kind of gesture. The tour itself was AMAZING though, well worth the price.

In conclusion, apart from the tediously long staircase to the rooms, it was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank JTimoney
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I think people who complain about this place really has nothing else to say anymore because this place is good. Clean, quiet location yet walking distance to everything including the bus station, competitive tour pricing, nice and helpful staff, good vibes - people here are not into partying, free beers and a great breakfast. All for usd 5.5. Seriously? Thanks guys, keep up the good work. I hated Hanoi but this place made it easier

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The room we stayed at (Hang Vai) was great. Two large beds and a nice bathroom. However, the reason for this review is the service was not so great.

First they gave us a terrible exchange rate (which is annoying), second they did not inform us when the room was booked until and knocked on our door, woke us up, and told us to leave. Avoid this confusion by making sure to tell them how many days you want to stay.

Breakfast is very basic and the free happy hour is beer from a large water bottle (no idea where they fill up the water bottle). Will probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: Private room is better if you are tow travellers.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to Candy who arrange my trips to hanoi, this hostel was great, helpfull, and comfortable. I will recomend for my friends this hostel. Free beakfast in the morning, welcome staff and humble, cheap trip here, sapa, halong bay, hoa lu tam coc, give me bnce room in second floor in first night, be romantic, Very helpfull and was great

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple