“Very good hostel, service excellent. Would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hanoi Hostel

and 1 more site!
Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #36 of 341 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
“Very good hostel, service excellent. Would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in Hanoi hostel on Hang Ma street for a couple of days and can't really fault. Mike and Candy were helpful over emails before booking as I was travelling with my partner from Hong Kong, and needed a room sorted soonish.

Once there the hostel was ok to find . Taxi drivers seem to know it . It's a little walk away from where you would assume is the main area of old quarter (where all the backpackers go) but that didn't bother us as it was quite good to come away from it, and it was still close enough that you could walk it in 10 mins.

We chose this hostel because the tours they offered looked decent. Have yet to take the sapa and halong bay tours but will review at a later date.

But essentially this is a good hostel with very helpful people at reception. The rooms at clean, beds comfy, showers work. What more do you need. ?

And so long as you don't mind not being in a big hostel with 12 people to a room and a huge party bar area. Then it does the business.

Dan C

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Colberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very well located in center , easy to walk to all the tourist places,
Staffs are stars , very friendly and helpful with information
Good tours with very competitive prices, we paid much lower than others ppl in our same group
Clean & large room , value for money
Cant recommend enough this place

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Hantukomkom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Well located , helpful staffs, good tour with very competitive price
We took HalOng bay & Sapa package which we Paid almost half rates of others on the same group
Dorm is clean & free breakfast is a plus
Highly recommend

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Eddyweiming
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was recommended the Hanoi Hostel by a fellow traveller and I went straight there. Unfortunately there was no room at the Hanoi Hostel 1 so they invited me to go to the Hanoi Hostel 2, which is right on the parallel street. I stayed there on a small dorm with three other fellow backpackers and we enjoyed our stay very much.

The room was simple, with ensuite bathroom and with breakfast included (although I did not wake up for it so I cannot say wether it was good or not). Both hostels are located in the old part of Hanoi, China Town, very close to the centre and the lake.

The staff was great and I booked my trip Ha Long Bay cruise with them and I wasn't disappointed at all. So it's totally recommendable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank agg82
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This review is originally rejected because Hanoi Hostel flagged me as fake guest. I had stayed there for 3 nights in September with my female friend. If what I wrote irritate you guys, well, I'm sorry that you sucked.

Dirty room and bathroom (seems like they do not clean it daily), basic and dated bunk, basic breakfast (omelette, bread, and banana, watermelon) and the spiteful cook who served it. Those are the deal breakers for me.

This hostel deliberately gave our beds to other guests while we were away on Ha Long cruise, when we actually had booked for those vacant beds until the day after (we booked for three nights, and were away on the second night). They even called to our guide when we were cruising, demanding the room keys to be returned (of course we'll return to the hostel, where else would we sleep after the cruise is over? We've booked for those beds). That's even bigger deal breaker for me. Overrated hostel, lousy management. Will not stay there again.

By the way, the 20000 VND = 1 USD exchange rate for the services here, I do not appreciate it at all (suppose to be around 22000).

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank applecart3355
Hanoi-Hostel, Owner at Hanoi Hostel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

This is the second times you write review and the third times I response as well. Even though the third responds but you are still misunderstood.

First of all, I didn't flag you as a fake guest and didn't mean that. I have mentioned your review gave fault information

now I want to make clear all your complaints with my honest:

• First: Dirty room and bathroom?

1. We clean room and bathroom every morning after breakfast.
2. There are: air conditioner, fan, blanket, and pillow, private bathroom in dorm room, each bed has its own reading light, table, and locker. Is it basic for the dorm room?
3. Breakfast: with Toasts, omelet, banana jam, banana, water melon, butter, tea, coffee (free for whole day). Besides: a welcome drink on your arrive and free beer unlimited from 6pm to 7pm. Is it valued for 5usd per night in dorm?

• Second, the spiteful cook who served breakfast: thanks for that. I did re-training not only the cook but mention the problem for all staffs at Hostel to work with their full hospitable

• Third,” This hostel deliberately gave our beds to other guests while we were away on Ha Long cruise"
I don't deny you booked for 3 nights but the second day you checked out for Halong Bay trip. In that morning, you paid the bill for 1 night only and you didn't mention keeping the beds until coming back. Why don't you have any question when you pay for the bill only 1 night in the second day? It is very normal when the guest checkout and the beds have to be cleaned and ready for sell. Besides, as the checkout procedure in the hotel, the receptionist must take the key back when the guest check out but he did not. That is the reason why he called to tour guide to ask you keep keys for us. I hope you can understand this case.

• The last, for the exchange rate: we affirm that on the date you did the exchange till now the rate 1USD = 20.800vnd from Vietnam Bank, nowhere in Vietnam exchange with the rate 1USD = 22 000vnd as your expected

5USD per night, it is not simple a bed, breakfast or beer, it is also our effort training all staffs to be helpful with all our free information, all services offer in competitive prices

Thanks for your understanding and fair judgment.
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

During our stay in Vietnam Hanoi GHostel was our main host. We spent there 5 nights. We were in the privete double. The room was ok. There was TV, AC, hot shower, comfortable beds. What else could you need with a price of 16 USD/ room/ night?
The staff is very friendly, especially the owner. The do everything to help you (booking tickets and tours, giving advice where to go ect, what to see ect, ordering a taxi). That was very helpful. There is free breakfast (simple - omelette, toast with banana jam and butter, fruits, coffee and tea) and free beer each evening on the rooftop.
Good atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank toku804
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We took a friend's recommendation to choose this hostel.

Before we set off the trip, the host Candy helps us arrange a tour to Halong Bay through email and phone call with an acceptable price and let us keep our package for free.

We got a little lost when we tried to walk to the hostel from Hanoi station, I got a phone call from Candy saying she believed she saw us passing by the hostel, and make her staff come to pick us up. Candy and every staff we encountered there were all very kind and nice. They tried to help us no matter what problems we raised, including how we can do when one of our friend lost his wallet, where we can buy the nice coffee offered there, and even where we can have the best PHO or local breakfast.

The small hostel is really cozy and nice. I fully recommend this friendly hostel especially for whom love beer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends