“Great staff, great location, average rooms”
Review of Hanoi Hostel

and 1 more site!
Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #41 of 432 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was recommended the Hanoi Hostel by a fellow traveller and I went straight there. Unfortunately there was no room at the Hanoi Hostel 1 so they invited me to go to the Hanoi Hostel 2, which is right on the parallel street. I stayed there on a small dorm with three other fellow backpackers and we enjoyed our stay very much.

The room was simple, with ensuite bathroom and with breakfast included (although I did not wake up for it so I cannot say wether it was good or not). Both hostels are located in the old part of Hanoi, China Town, very close to the centre and the lake.

The staff was great and I booked my trip Ha Long Bay cruise with them and I wasn't disappointed at all. So it's totally recommendable!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank agg82

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This review is originally rejected because Hanoi Hostel flagged me as fake guest. I had stayed there for 3 nights in September with my female friend. If what I wrote irritate you guys, well, I'm sorry that you sucked.

Dirty room and bathroom (seems like they do not clean it daily), basic and dated bunk, basic breakfast (omelette, bread, and banana, watermelon) and the spiteful cook who served it. Those are the deal breakers for me.

This hostel deliberately gave our beds to other guests while we were away on Ha Long cruise, when we actually had booked for those vacant beds until the day after (we booked for three nights, and were away on the second night). They even called to our guide when we were cruising, demanding the room keys to be returned (of course we'll return to the hostel, where else would we sleep after the cruise is over? We've booked for those beds). That's even bigger deal breaker for me. Overrated hostel, lousy management. Will not stay there again.

By the way, the 20000 VND = 1 USD exchange rate for the services here, I do not appreciate it at all (suppose to be around 22000).

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank applecart3355
Hanoi-Hostel, Owner at Hanoi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

This is the second times you write review and the third times I response as well. Even though the third responds but you are still misunderstood.

First of all, I didn't flag you as a fake guest and didn't mean that. I have mentioned your review gave fault information

now I want to make clear all your complaints with my honest:

• First: Dirty room and bathroom?

1. We clean room and bathroom every morning after breakfast.
2. There are: air conditioner, fan, blanket, and pillow, private bathroom in dorm room, each bed has its own reading light, table, and locker. Is it basic for the dorm room?
3. Breakfast: with Toasts, omelet, banana jam, banana, water melon, butter, tea, coffee (free for whole day). Besides: a welcome drink on your arrive and free beer unlimited from 6pm to 7pm. Is it valued for 5usd per night in dorm?

• Second, the spiteful cook who served breakfast: thanks for that. I did re-training not only the cook but mention the problem for all staffs at Hostel to work with their full hospitable

• Third,” This hostel deliberately gave our beds to other guests while we were away on Ha Long cruise"
I don't deny you booked for 3 nights but the second day you checked out for Halong Bay trip. In that morning, you paid the bill for 1 night only and you didn't mention keeping the beds until coming back. Why don't you have any question when you pay for the bill only 1 night in the second day? It is very normal when the guest checkout and the beds have to be cleaned and ready for sell. Besides, as the checkout procedure in the hotel, the receptionist must take the key back when the guest check out but he did not. That is the reason why he called to tour guide to ask you keep keys for us. I hope you can understand this case.

• The last, for the exchange rate: we affirm that on the date you did the exchange till now the rate 1USD = 20.800vnd from Vietnam Bank, nowhere in Vietnam exchange with the rate 1USD = 22 000vnd as your expected

5USD per night, it is not simple a bed, breakfast or beer, it is also our effort training all staffs to be helpful with all our free information, all services offer in competitive prices

Thanks for your understanding and fair judgment.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

During our stay in Vietnam Hanoi GHostel was our main host. We spent there 5 nights. We were in the privete double. The room was ok. There was TV, AC, hot shower, comfortable beds. What else could you need with a price of 16 USD/ room/ night?
The staff is very friendly, especially the owner. The do everything to help you (booking tickets and tours, giving advice where to go ect, what to see ect, ordering a taxi). That was very helpful. There is free breakfast (simple - omelette, toast with banana jam and butter, fruits, coffee and tea) and free beer each evening on the rooftop.
Good atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank toku804
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We took a friend's recommendation to choose this hostel.

Before we set off the trip, the host Candy helps us arrange a tour to Halong Bay through email and phone call with an acceptable price and let us keep our package for free.

We got a little lost when we tried to walk to the hostel from Hanoi station, I got a phone call from Candy saying she believed she saw us passing by the hostel, and make her staff come to pick us up. Candy and every staff we encountered there were all very kind and nice. They tried to help us no matter what problems we raised, including how we can do when one of our friend lost his wallet, where we can buy the nice coffee offered there, and even where we can have the best PHO or local breakfast.

The small hostel is really cozy and nice. I fully recommend this friendly hostel especially for whom love beer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed October 5, 2012

When we came to Hanoi we looked up the hostel on tripadvisor but didn't pre-booked. This was no problem at all. They have 2 hostels and the one from the other is just a 2 min walk.

We first wanted a dorm, but for just $5 more we could have a private room. We booked it for two days.

After 2 days we went to How Long Bay. We booked the a 2 nights 3 days trip at the hostel. For $125. But it's worth every penny! (If you have good weather)

We could leave our bags at the hostel. No problem ore charge.
When we came back after 3 days we went to the other hostel 2 minutes from the other. And stayed there for 2 more days.

Booked our night bus ticket there to Hué. And again cheap around $10 and we where picked up at the Hostel at 18:00.

So overall a very good and nice stay at Hanoi Hostel!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank iRick27
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Great hostel. Lovely dorms with large beds and lockable storage underneath. Free beer in the bar is great too and a brilliant way to meet people if you are travelling alone.

But the best bit is mike the owner... really helpful and knowledgeable about travel and trips. I didn't book my ha long bay cruise with them, as I wanted to go with some other people I had met who were booking elsewhere, but others I met in the hostel had (mainly imperial cruise) and had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank somo999
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the Hanoi Hostel for four nights. They provided a pick-up service from the airport which is always appreciated. The staff was friendly and welcoming. They were able to answer all of our questions and provided great recommendations. They booked an excursion to Halong Bay for us and even allowed us to check out of our room for the one night that we would be away and store our baggage for us at no extra cost. The hostel is located in a central area. The rooms were clean, the air conditioner worked well. The only problem would be the showers there was absolutely no water pressure. Overall I would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends