“Genuine people, very helpful, great stay!”
Review of Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #39 of 362 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Genuine people, very helpful, great stay!”
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

We were greeted with a huge smile and they knew us by name when we walked through the door. Actually they greeted us that way every time we spoke! They were excellent and very patient with directions!

They offer tours and those are advertised on the walls but not once were we asked to buy one.

Great location! 10 minutes from the lake. We were in room 203 and had perfect full service wifi. The owner (I assume he owns it) is awesome and loves getting to know his customers... He speaks great English and so does the rest of the staff and he is fluent in French.

Huge yummy breakfast every morning! Fuel for the day!

Awesome stay! Thank you!!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Saluda, North Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Hanoi Hostel as well as the two trips we booked through them (City Tour and Halong Bay). The price was definitely right at $15 a night for a private room with AC, cable TV, free wifi (computers in the lobby as well), and a minibar! (But no bathtub as it says on the website.) The price also included breakfast, which was watermelon, a banana, tea, and coffee and then either eggs and toast with butter and banana jam or ramen noodles. Candy and some of the staff members were really helpful while others seemed clueless and need better training. (I told them our toilet was broken twice and it was never fixed; eventually my boyfriend fixed it.) Also they lock up the hostel around 11pm so if you want to get in after that you have to bang on the metal doors! They never told us they locked up either; it would have been nice to know that before going out for the night. At the Hang Ma hostel they have a nightly happy hour with free beer. We only went once because there was only one other person there when we did. In fact, the hostel seemed quite dead and we never saw very many people at all. There isn’t really a good common area for people to hang out in. But I hope more people will stay at Hanoi Hostel in the future as it has a lot of potential.
For photos check out http://growninsouthernground.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/hanoi-hostel-hang-vai/.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked the private family room 2months before my Vietnam trip, and started e-mail with Candy, the owner of this hostel, she always answered my questions patiently and very detail .

Finally we book both sapa and halong bay trip here, overall are quite good for the trip.

Candy&Mike are really really helpful, they always tell us where we can eat the delicious food, where we can exchange the dollar. And all the staff in the hostel are friendly.

Overall, really a excellent hostel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a great hostel on the fringe of old town (Hang Vai location). We had a huge double room on the second floor with big ensuite bathroom, tv, air con, window, all for $15/night. Breakfast was included and consisted of eggs, toast, fruit, tea/coffee. We also booked our Halong Bay tour with them, the delux boat, and it was amazing. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Stay here!

Room Tip: The double on the second floor is good, forth floor has lots of stairs, but is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baivw
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Great location in the heart of the old quarter. Lots of street side restaurants nearby, cell phone shop across the road that sells top up cards, and a cute street cafe across the road with amazing Vietnamese coffee and strawberry iced tea! Must try! The staff were incredibly friendly, allowing us to check in at 9am, store our bags there and use their facilities even after we checked out and waited for our 7pm train. They helped with taxis, orientation, and finding restaurants.

They had three computers in the lobby for internet and skype. And free beer between 6 and 7. The staff were really friendly and interested in our travels. Rooms were clean, looked after, good bedding, and HUGE lockers beneath the beds. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
india
Reviewed May 21, 2012

For me this wasn’t a hostel… it is just a home away from home in central Hanoi… Mr Mike and Candy all their staff like family members…when I arrived there in the morning I told Mr Mike about my duration of stay and intended places to visit and left for the city solo tour.... when I came back in the evening there is a printout of all my tour programmes with full details..,Halong Bay , Perfume pagoda, Sapa, Bac Ha market etc etc.. and I enjoyed every bit of it above my expectation… and even they guided me for some other interesting places to visit nearby which r not in my list or unknown to me..….Mr Mike and Candy and their efficient and energetic young staff are ready to help at any time in any matter…hostel is .very clean and comfortable..nice breakfast..….for me it was a wonderful experience ( comparing with some bad experience in some other places ) and next time my choice will be Hanoi hostel without any hesitation… …in fact missing the Hanoi hostel…keep up the good work Mr mike and Candy…hope to see u all soon…

Room Tip: i stayed in a dorm...beds r strong , good support and not crying when move around while sleeping...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed there twice, at both addresses and in three different rooms... I can say without a doubt that this was my most favourite place to stay in Vietnam! Thank you Candy, Mike, and all your wonderful staff for making our stay(s) most enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends