“Great service, excellent value and free beer!”
Review of Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #38 of 367 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Great service, excellent value and free beer!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Yes, it is true: they do have the free beer they advertise with.. between 6 and 7 pm. And it works great for meeting fellow travellers. The service is great: we arrived at 5 am and got a bed and breakfast, but only had to pay for the following night. The staff is kind and helpful, the breakfast is great and the beds are good. It is great that such a small hostel (16 beds) is so professional. Highly recommended, and I see I'm not the only one..

Room Tip: They have one mixed and one female dorm, both 8 beds. I obviously stayed in the mixed dorm.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronald D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Hanoi was my first stop on my solo round the world trip and I'd never stayed in a Hostel before. All I can say is this place set the bar very high as no other place compared to this one. Candy and Mike, who run the Hostel are incredible. They remember everyone by name and it really does make you feel safe and secure. I got hit by the travellers bug while staying here and they were truly amazing to me. They wouldn't even take money off me for the extra night I had to stay as I was too ill to move to my next destination.
Very clean, amazing friendly service and full of really nice people. Have made friends for life here! Definitely the place to be.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Verboula
Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed here on 3 different occasions all of which were great experiences. Candy was a star, she helped us organise all our trips including helping us out at a very sticky situation at the post office! Free beer was a great initiative and it was a great place to mix with the other guests. For what you pay the service is absolutely outstanding, you don't expect nor usually get such 5 star service in a budget hostel, highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jade_Brian
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hostel is fantastic. For the $5 we paid per night we got so much- the free breakfast (omelette, toast, jam, fresh fruit), free beer 6-7pm on the roof terrace which was a great place to hang out and meet people, the dorms were secure with massive lockers under the bunks and a really friendly atmosphere and most of all the staff arranged EVERYTHING for us. The morning we left we had to be at the airport at 7 so they served us breakfast early, at 6, and then arranged a taxi for us, which we shared with other people staying at the hostel to minimise the cost. We also booked our Halong Bay 2D1N cruise with them, we chose the one they recommended, Dragon Cruise ($63) and it was amazing. Also speaking to other people on our cruise we seemed to have paid a few dollars less than everyone else. I would without a doubt return here if I was ever back in Hanoi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank killtacos
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed at this hostel for two nights after arriving in Vietnam. Mike and his staff were extremely friendly and eager to help me with all my enquiries. They also went out of their way with their hospitality, and the free drinks on the rooftop bar in the evening are a great way to meet people.

The hostel doesn't seem like a party place and is pretty chilled out, which suited me fine. The price is obviously exceptional, the location is great (right in the Old Quarter), the breakfast is above average and the wifi, lockers, computers etc. are all free of charge. In short, its everything you will need from a hostel. I'll be back when I'm next in Hanoi.

1 Thank Simon W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was my first stop in Vietnam and the hostel was brilliant. The female dormitory was cleaned every day and you had a big locker under your bed.
I booked two excursions with Mike (the owner) Sapa and Nimh Binh, both of which were outstanding.
They offer free beer from 6pm-7pm which is a good place to meet other backapckers. It is not a party hostel but a sociable one - from the first night I arrived on my own, I never ate dinner without others from the hostel!
Mike will help you in any way he can - he got my bus ticket and lets you leave your luggage in a store when you are on an excursion.
I elt happy & safe at this hotel and would DEFINITLY recommend to others - I was sad to leave!

1 Thank Sunny_Lula
Glasgow
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Number one on Trip Advisor and no question about it!
Beautiful place in a fantastic location in Hanoi's Old Quarter. Clean and spacious rooms are bright and cheerful with huge security lockers. Clean bathrooms with hot showers are in the rooms.
The rooftop hang-out is really nice. Free breakfast is provided (toast, eggs, fruit and coffee/tea) and also between 6pm and 7pm free beer! Lovely food in beautiful surroundings.
The staff are probably the best thing about the place, though. Mike, the owner, treats you like a superstar and is always happy to help out. Their tour booking service is brilliant. I booked my Halong Bay tour and Open Bus tickets through them and found out I had paid a lot less than others I met on the same tour and bus.
Really fantastic place I will certainly return to.

1 Thank lmarshall5