“Hanoi Kids are fantastic!”
Review of HanoiKids Tour

HanoiKids Tour
Ranked #2 of 197 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hanoikids is a volunteer tour guide club of young, friendly and ambitious students who love Hanoi and want to bring local breath to tourists from all over the world. More than all, we are desperate to become little ambassadors of Vietnam.
Townsville, Qld, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Hanoi Kids are fantastic!”
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Our family of 4 (my husband & I and our 8 & 9 year old daughters) spent a full day with Miss Anh and Miss Hien. They met us on time at our hotel and we went to the ceramic village via taxi. Both girls were lovely and very interested in us and Australia & they both spoke very good English. Our 8 & 9 yr old daughters were an attraction in Vietnam and as a result our travel mates were told by some local ladies who stopped to look at our daughters to go to see the largest ceramic vase in Vietnam - we ended up in the potter's house drinking tea. He told the girls to take us to see an elderly lady in the village where we spent quite a bit of time drinking tea and watching a dvd about the village which had been a documentary on TV in Vietnam. We felt like family and the lady & her husband even wanted to take photos of us with them. We caught the bus back into town with the locals - quite an experience through road works!
We could never have experienced all of this without the assistance of Hanoi Kids - the girls were very patient and kind and were most appreciative of the gifts we had brought them from Australia (a book about the Great Barrier Reef where we live, and pens, lanyards and bags from our local university). We had a very late lunch at a local restaurant with the girls which was very cheap.
An experience that I would recommend to everyone. The only regret is that we didn't have enough time to do more and spend more time with our travel mates.

8 Thank Rebecca061970

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Do this if you do one thing in Hanoi”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

This was exceptional, flexible, interesting, cheap, great idea, exchange of thought and ideas.

They are a great organisation and wish there were more places like this in the world. I spent about 5 hours with my guide translator wandering the streets just chatting about vietnam, history, football, politics, food and learning. We went to the literary museum and talked about Buddhism and Ho Chi Minh. After we went and sat drinking a beer or two in one of his favourite locations.

All you pay is their entrance fees, taxis everything else is voluntary but of course they have the opportunity to practices English.

My one bit of advice is I wish I had a gift from my country that I could of given my guide as a small gesture. A keyring from England or something similar.

4 Thank Myles M
London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hanoikids - highly recommended!”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

These guys provide free guided walking tours of Hanoi. I booked a one day tour of Hanoi and was incredibly impressed by the 2 wonderful guides we had. I was even more impressed by the fact that the guides are volunteers (won’t take any money at all) who just want to practise their English, meet people from other parts of the world and show them their lovely city. The only thing that you need to pay for is yours (and their) entrance fees to the attractions, taxis (if you want to take them) and lunch. I suspect that if you are on a budget, you can ask your guides to take you to a purse-friendly restaurant for lunch. However, as we were roasting hot from the walking, our priority was somewhere air-conditioned!
We had lunch at a great place - Koto (a restaurant that trains disadvantage kids, located near the Temple of Literature). The food there was excellent - costs appear in line with other 'touristy' air-conditioned restaurants, but with the added bonus that whilst scoffing your pho, you are doing a bit to help the local kids!
Our Hanoikids guides were very knowledgeable about the sights, friendly and interesting. It was great to meet and chat to real local people. I can highly recommend Hanoikids.

4 Thank Merlion09
London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great way to see the city”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We booked a guide with Hanoi tours for myself and my family to see the sites of Hanoi. We had agreed before-hand via email the kind of things we wanted to see and had an itinerary to work from.

Two guides turned up on the day. We took taxis everywhere which were always booked by the guides on their mobiles, so we never got ripped off by taxi drivers. The guides were very keen and very helpful with their knowledge of the sites we went to visit.

I would heartily recommend this to anyone visiting Hanoi.

At the end, we tried to give them a tip, but they were emphatic that they would not take any money from us. So, if you do this, try and take some kind of gift along with you.

3 Thank passepartout-tout
Shibuya, Japan
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“A Hanoi Must Do!”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Negotiating the streets of Hanoi can be a harrowing experience ... the traffic is relentless. Having two tour guides from HanoiKids Tour really helped to alleviate a lot of the stress we felt. In addition, to be able to connect with (young) people, as a visitor in a new city, is in itself a rewarding experience and one big reason why I love to travel. I highly recommend this organization.

4 Thank FGraz