“HanoiKids”

HanoiKids Tour
Ranked #2 of 212 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hanoikids, established in 2006, is known as a student-run organization based in Hanoi, Vietnam. By voluntarily taking city tours for English speaking travellers in Hanoi, we hope to bring travellers from all over the world an insight into our culture, tradition and beautiful sight-seeings. Each member of the club can explore their full potential through cross-cultural experiences and extracurricular activities.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We highly recommend the excellent tour and introduction to Hanoi, its history, culture and food by our HanoiKids guides, Giang B. and Ha N., two university students in Hanoi with great knowledge of and enthusiasm for the history and culture of Vietnam. It was a memorable day and unique way to experience Hanoi. We loved it!

12  Thank TriciaVE
Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

What a great thing is Hanoi Kids. We had an awesome day out with Tung and Skye last week as they took us and our daughters (4 & 5) around Hanoi for the morning. The guys were both so friendly and helpful and interesting to talk with. Their English was great and they seemed interested in learning about Australia and our way of life as well. They were also sweet with the girls who also enjoyed their company. After our tour we asked them to join us for lunch and they suggested the New Day Restaurant. The boys chose some great dishes for us to try, including frog (tasted like chicken), and we had a lovely time chatting.
Thanks again Skye & Tung!

11  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am so very glad I stumbled on some reviews on Tripadvisor about Hanoi Kids when doing some research for our trip to Vietnam. I took the advice given to book early and actually arranged two different tours while we were there.

We had the pleasure of Zom and Hoa accompanying us to the Temple of Literature and Ho Chi Minh complex. Not only were these two delightful girls friendly and welcoming, they also knew lots of interesting information and facts about these two important historical sites. Without them we would have been looking but not understanding and I was very keen to understand the history of both. The conversations we had about Vietnam in general, their culture, education, food, families etc was great and hopefully they also learnt something from us apart from practising their English (which was very good anyway).

Our second enjoyable trip with Hanoi kids was with Cuong and Nhot, a young man and lady who were also extremely friendly and funny and knowledgeable. I had asked to go to Bat Trang ceramic/pottery village as I have a particular interest in pottery and so found this an interesting experience. They organised through one of the local women when we got there for us to go into one of the workshops and see the various stages of hand production. We also got to have a "closer" look at the actual village as Cuong and Nhot took us through all the tiny little streets and alleys in between houses until we got to the village temple/meeting place on the Red river. It was a really good outing and was just so nice talking to these lovely young polite happy people. They also took us for egg coffee afterwards in the Old Quarter and then walked back with us to our hotel.

These kids are amazing and such great ambassadors for their country. What better way to see any place than with the locals and they are so much more enthusiastic than many paid tour guides. I will definitely book a couple of different tours with them next time. I would recommend booking a few months ahead if at all possible (and also suggest if you can - maybe taking a small souvenir from your country as a gift i.e. bookmark or keytag?) as they give up their time for nothing.

Zom and Hoa also told us of two other similar groups doing tours in Hoi An - Hoi An Free Tour and in Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon Hotpot. Haven't tried them yet as we haven't been there but love to hear any feedback from anyone who has.

13  Thank JulieH6061
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I booked a full day tour for our first day in Hanoi, as I thought it would be a great introduction to the city and it most definitely was! We were so impressed by our guides' enthusiasm, efforts and overall knowledge of their beautiful city.
Our guides (we had two gentlemen) sought to take us to places which met our interests (i.e. architecture and history), adding a personal touch to our tour.
We are particularly impressed that HanoiKids is completely voluntary - they choose to use their own time to take strangers around their city. What amazing people - rarely found these days.
Our guides spoke excellent English and both had a great sense of humour.

Overall, I would highly recommend HanoiKids. The sites we saw around Hanoi were fantastic and we learnt a great deal about the city, its history, culture and people, which we would not have otherwise known if we didn't take the tour. Thank you - it was a fabulous day!

10  Thank dace11
Reviewed June 22, 2013

After reading about all the good comments about the Hanoi Kids on tripadvisor, I sent an email to them to arrange a tour. They promptly emailed me and settled on time and date very quickly.
Our full day tour started promptly at 9 am as arranged and we had two wonderful guides for the day. They were very knowledgeable, polite, courteous, respectful, and in every way a true ambassador for this beautiful city. They were patient in their explanation and description at each of the sights visited. They offered suggestions on which places we could see and the appropriate time. They asked for our preferences, and tried their best to accede to our requests.
They were very enthusiastic in sharing their culture and history and their lifestyles with us, and there was no question or query they wouldn't respond to.
We visited the prison museum, the women's museum, the old quarter, the French quarter, the temple of literature , Ho Chi Minh's residence, and the fine arts museum. We did a lot of walking in the hot summer day, and they were so accommodating. They even showed me where we could have a popular local ice cream!
I really have nothing negative to say about the wonderful day I had with them.
Through them, we learnt so much about this beautiful city and its wonderful history , culture and people.
As HK do not charge for the tour, I paid for all the entrance fees for the guides, their refreshments, and lunch and transport costs......it was all worth it. As we did not bring any gifts for them, we left a small donation for HK. We had wanted to donate a bit more, but they told us a nominal donation is much appreciated.
On my next visit to Hanoi, I would definitely arrange another tour with these wonderful kids!

8  Thank Casper65

Been to HanoiKids Tour? Share your experiences!