“Ask the locals”

HanoiKids Tour
Ranked #7 of 220 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hanoikids, established in 2006, is known as a student-run organization based in Hanoi, Vietnam. By voluntarily taking city tours for English speaking travellers in Hanoi, we hope to bring travellers from all over the world an insight into our culture, tradition and beautiful sight-seeings. Each member of the club can explore their full potential through cross-cultural experiences and extracurricular activities.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Two excellent, enthusiastic students with a good command of English showed us their city.
We learned more about Vietnameses culture both historically and the new modern culture of Vietnam from these students in three hours than we could have from reading a book. They explained the transitions of old customs into the new modern culture of todays "progress hungry" Hanoi. They were pleasant and informative and discreet. Well done Hanoi Kids. Please note there are some bogus websites claiming to be Hanoi Kids. Make sure you getthe real deal.

7  Thank ChrisHamnett
Write a ReviewReviews (2,122)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"hotel lobby"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Thanks a lot for the tour on 10th June & the great hospitality. We (Myself & Ifwan) really appreciate the passion & enthusiasm showed by our tour-mates (Hoang & Quỳnh) for our first tour with Hanoikids. Good job guys & keep it up. We went to Old Quarter, French Quarter & some outskirt part of Hanoi near to the Red river. But i refused to go & watch the naked man swimming in the Red river. HAHA. We enjoyed the egg coffee at the Old Quarter which are truly authentic Hanoi street food. Thanks again for the tips on how to cross the road.

For our 2nd trip on 13th June, Tôn & Anh were at the hotel lobby way early before 9am (Very punctual, Good job guys!!). We went to Ho Chi Minh Complex, Temple of Literature, Hoa Lo prison & Dong Xuan market. They ease our job with buying ticket, calling taxi & security clearance. They both are very kownledgeble & have a deep understanding of the surrounding place we went to. They also showed us on where to buy a great coffee mix in order for us to bring home.

Thank you so much for the tour. We will definately recommend this tour to our friend who are going to visit Hanoi soon. For our tour-mates Hoang, Quỳnh, Tôn & Anh we wish you good luck & have a great day ahead.

18  Thank wanamin
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our tour was fantastic with one pro and one "newbie" both named Tung. You can read in the reviews all the wonderful things about HanoiKids and we agree with everyone.

Just be careful though, as there is a website that has ripped off HanoiKids' website and photos, but whose agenda is to take tourists to souvenir places or whatnot. We almost fell into that trip but the real HanoiKids caught the mix up at the last minute. The REAL site is .org (the fake one is a .com). So just watch out that you book with the right one!

11  Thank ptesinge
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Rather than asking my guide to take me around the usual tourist hangouts, I asked him (Frankie) to take me off the beaten track. This is an excellent opportunity to safely get a view of day-to-day life in Hanoi and I would urge you to have a go. So, after a little bit of thought, Frankie took me to his University on the local bus - there is very little chance of me having travelled on Hanoi's air conditioned buses on my own. After an instructive 20 minute ride we arrived at our destination and it was really good walking around where there were no/very few tourists. Frankie then made a telephone call to find the exact location of a vegetarian resturant which was excellent and then back on the bus where we met and talked with another "Hanoikid". We got off in the centre of the city and Frankie took me to a coffee shop frequented by students that I would have never come across on my own.

Frankie talked openly about his life in Hanoi and this was extremely valuable for me to get to know the place I was holidaying in.

Something I had to clarify right at the start, because it seemed too good to be true, was that there was no fee for this. All I did was pay for Frankie's meal and coffee and in return I received a real insight into Hanoi. All Frankie wanted to do was to practice his already excellent English.

Do be careful about using the correct website and get in touch with them well in advance as this popular service gets booked up quickly.

9  Thank 934AJV
See more reviews
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Read about this organization on TripAdvisor and signed for it.
We requested for a full day tour and made a few request like visiting some places of (food) interest to our guide,Linh and she glady brought us around.
We visited quite a few places of interests and our guide explained to us in details.
After hearing that we are into local food, she brought us to this nice cheap (and very local) place for some grilled pork dish for lunch. With her help, we also managed to taste the famous egg coffee and ice cream in hanoi which we were pretty sure we will have a hard time looking for them on our own.
The tour itself is Free but you do have to pay for everything like transportation, meals and entrance tickets for yourselves as well as the guide. And after some calculation is still cheaper than most city tours offered in Hanoi and you still get to visit more places.
If you want a better insight of Vietnam, do signed up with them.

14  Thank WeiQiangSee