“Excellent way to explore Hanoi”
Review of HanoiKids Tour

HanoiKids Tour
Ranked #6 of 216 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hanoikids, established in 2006, is known as a student-run organization based in Hanoi, Vietnam. By voluntarily taking city tours for English speaking travellers in Hanoi, we hope to bring travellers from all over the world an insight into our culture, tradition and beautiful sight-seeings. Each member of the club can explore their full potential through cross-cultural experiences and extracurricular activities.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was a bit reluctant at first when my friends suggested that we roped in the HanoiKids as our tour guide, preferring to explore on our on to avoid the hassle and time restraints of having to follow a tour schedule. But I was wrong. The HanoiKids tour are innovative and informative, fun, very flexible and a great way to interact and compare cultures especially if you are coming from another country in the South East Asia. The young guides that we got, Mim and Trang speaks fluent English and are both credits to their society.
If you wish to book their tour, i would advice that you book early as their tour guides are quite popular (did i mention that it's free?).. :) Also i was advice that tourists should book from their official website http://hanoikids.org/ to avoid being conned by fake tour agency that used their popularity to sell their own tours.

8  Thank Phototraveler77
Write a ReviewReviews (2,105)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"hotel lobby"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed May 18, 2013

With very short turn-around time, I was lucky enough to get a half-day tour with Ms. Duyen, a junior in college who generously shared her time and knowledge about Hanoi and Vietnam the Sunday before her final exam week.

There are so many nice things about this young lady and her club/organization that I have to write this review. First, she arrived at my hotel a bit early, but didn't ask the hotel front desk to let me know she was there until it's our appointment time. 2. At the end of the tour I told her I'd walk back to my hotel since I had done it numerous times; she was reluctant to deviate from the protocol, which requires her to accompany me back to my hotel until I reassured her and told her I'd call her after I arrive. 3. I offered to pay so that she could take a taxi instead of a bus back to her dorm after the tour; she declined. 4. I tipped her, but she said it'd be a contribution to her club and I'd receive an acknowledgement, which I did within a week.

I was curious about her club, so Duyen told me that in her club's last recruitment, 1000 applicants applied; only 50 were accepted after 3 rounds of exams. Additionally, they had to receive 2 months of training (one full day each week) before they became eligible to guide a tour. No wonder they are so well disciplined and trained. I really appreciate all efforts put in to run this club. Unfortunately, some people do not differentiate between this club and its copy cats, and even blamed on hanoikids.org for things not of their doing. If you need to complain about anything, please make sure first your guides indeed are from hanoikids.org, not the fake ones (e.g., hanoikids.com, etc.)

As to the tour itself, it could not have been better. As said, the tour guides are really well selected and trained. Duyen helped me save hours in skipping a mile-long line as I wasn't interested in seeing the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum; we were still able to visit the rest of the complex, which I was more interested in seeing. We also visited the Temple of Literature upon my request. When we visited it happened to be graduation season and it's in Vietnamese tradition that graduates pose for photos with their fellow classmates at the Temple of Literature. We saw a lot of them. We were also able to compare pronunciations of the scripts at the Temple in Vietnamese and my languages (Mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese, and Hakka.) It's fascinating how similar these languages are in certain but not all words. It's also interesting to see how much Confucius has influenced Vietnamese culture to this day, which I didn't know before.

We then visited one of the old coffee hours in Hanoi and chatted about student life and our cultures. It's a perfect way to wrap up the tour. The exchange is memorable.

In all, I couldn't have been happier. Thank you, Hanoikids.org and Duyen.

15  Thank jjjj018
Reviewed May 18, 2013

It was definitely the highlight of our trip in Hanoi. Zom and Ly met us exactly on time at our hotel. We did not have an itinerary and just told them that we like to do what they would like to do. We first went and got the egg coffee which was very good. It was at a place we never would have found because there was no sign and you had to walk in an alley then upstairs to a traditional Vietnamese coffee house. It looked like we just stepped into a time Machine. We all chatted over coffee then had some sticky rice over looking the chaos that is Hanoi traffic. Had some beer then some fresh fruits at fruit street of course. We strolled by the lake and stopped by Metropole,Hanoi's oldest 5 star hotel, and then off to a nice lunch of bun cha.

Best part of this is we got to know these two young ladies a bit. They were candid and fun. Thank you Zom, Ly, and Hanoi Kids!!!

22  Thank A L
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We arrived in Hanoi on the 11th of May and did a day with Hanoi Kids, with our four kids. Bach was our guide, his English and knowledge on Vietnam and Hanoi was fantastic. We asked him to take us to a local place he would eat at and he did and it was fantastic. The kids highlight was when Bach took us to a coffee place and they had a hot chocolate made from beaten egg yolk instead of milk and the story behind it. The kids loved his stories of the crane and the turtle and have written them down in their journal.
I would highly recommend everyone to have a day with Hanoi Kids. Thanks Bach!

13  Thank Deeley13