“A must do in Hanoi”

HanoiKids Tour
Ranked #2 of 193 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hanoikids is a volunteer tour guide club of young, friendly and ambitious students who love Hanoi and want to bring local breath to tourists from all over the world. More than all, we are desperate to become little ambassadors of Vietnam.
Newcastle, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A must do in Hanoi”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had a one day tour in early July & enjoyed the company of Chi & Duc.
We visited the Temple of Literature, Museum of Ethnology, the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum & the Presidential Palace & viewed each site though their eyes. It was a wonderful day that flew by, however we did manage to have a great lunch at a destination of their choice with authentic meals chosen for us.
The only costs for the day were entrance fees & taxis which are inexpensive & the lunch was on us, about 9 dishes & drinks for USD20, geat value.
These 2 great ambassadores for their country were great company, very friendly, well researched & enjoyed their day.
If you decide to go, book ealry as they can be busy & a full day is recommended also take a small gift from your country, it will go down well
This is a must do.

2 Thank Likeatiger

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“What a great organisation!”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Myself and 3 friends visited Hanoi in March and we booked with Hanoi Kids for 2 separate sessions, having read about them here on Trip Advisor. Communication was efficient via email, their English is very good and everything went as planned as we had an unusual request to start a tour at 12 as we arrived that morning from Bangkok.

On our first day in Hanoi (and indeed our first in Vietnam!) two delightful young ladies Dzung and Phuong met us promptly at our hotel as requested. We had lunch at Quan an Ngon (where we had planned to go ourselves) which was great as an introduction to Vietnamese food as we could ask our new friends to choose typical dishes which they did wonderfully well. (They also negotiated for a nice table on the balcony upstairs) We returned to the same restaurant another evening but didn’t do so well on our own!
We then went to the beautiful Temple of Literature and afterwards the Museum of Ethnology arriving near closing time, so we only looked around the outside exhibits of Vietnamese houses. It was still a very interesting introduction to the traditional architecture of the various ethnic groups in Vietnam.

Having read about taxi scams in Hanoi we were concerned about hailing one off the street but with them they called taxis on their phone, big enough for all 6 of us! - very helpful and smooth organisation from start to finish.

On our other day in Hanoi we had a morning tour with Thu who took us round the Old Quarter including some traditional tube houses (shown in the photos).

They were all excellent guides but our lasting memories will be of meeting such enthusiastic young Vietnamese students and getting a small insight into life in modern Vietnam through chatting to them. I would thoroughly recommend booking with Hanoikids - every country could benefit from such an organisation as a two way learning experience for both visitors and hosts !!

Visited March 2011
4 Thank gillAndora
Hanoikids, Public Relations Manager at HanoiKids Tour, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
You're welcome.

You know what? Doing a tour with friends all over the world has already been our pleasure.
What motivate us to do more wonderful tours is that your days in Hanoi would last long after going with us.

That's also what we, Hanoikids, would like to say to all our beloved guests.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A must do in Hanoi.”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We spent today with two students from Hanoikids. We had a great time seeing Temple of Literature, War Museum and Ho Chi Minh Complex. They were both knowledgeable about Hanoi sights and Vietnam history. We went for an authentic Vietnamese lunch. A great day and opportunity for them to practise their English skills. Great value at no charge except taxis, entrance fees and lunch. We tried to generously tip them both for the excellent service, but they absolutely refused to accept anything!

2 Thank Alfiewolf
Perth, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Beyond my expectations!”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I booked a full day tour with Hanoi Kids for my first day in Vietnam. My guide for the day was Linh - she was really great, lots of fun, very friendly, great English, and able to answer my many questions.
She picked me up at my hotel and we went to the Mausoleum first (we were lucky enough to be there during the changing of the guard) and then onto the Ho Chi Minh Complex before visiting the Temple of Literature and then to Quan An Ngon for lunch. We then went to the Hoa Lu prison before visiting one of her favourite cafes for an egg milk coffee before getting back to the hotel at the end of the afternoon. It was such a great day! Linh was knowledgeable on the sights we saw and also answered my million questions on daily life in Vietnam. She also asked lots of questions of her own and we had some interesting conversations! Spending the day with a Hanoi Kid is like being shown around the city by a knowledgeable friend. I'd highly recommend it. I'm so glad I did this on my first day in Vietnam - not only did I learn about Hanoi itself but I learnt lots of other stuff like what to order for lunch (my first ever meal in Vietnam!), how to cross the road in one piece, which taxi companies to use... We caught a few taxis between attractions and then walked between others if the distance was short. I brought a small gift with me to say thank you and it is possible to donate money to Hanoi Kids - your 'Kid' will pass it on for you. I booked well in advance and they do get busy so try to book early if you want to do this!

2 Thank lozzzzie
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“I learned so much.”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Prior to our visit to Hanoi, I have read tons and tons of article and blogs about Hanoi, the history of it but non of it can compare to a local bringing you around.

We engage their service on the day of arrival itself for a half day tour around Old Quarter and French Quarter... while I feel there's much more to it, our travel mate (Stacie & Phanh) really did good job explaining the culture and place to us. They brought us to a home cafe to let us try EGG Coffee and we sat there for a long while chatting about Hanoi and about our own country Malaysia. They then brought us to french quarter in which they intro us to Hanoi IceCream after that and around the lake. Really learnt a lot

The following day, we also have another travel mate Trang to bring us on a half day tour around HoaLo prison and also Military Museum. She haven't been doing tours for a while but I think she's really good as well. And later brought us to Quan An Ngon which is a famous viet food court...

Highly highly recommended!

5 Thank Elluminate

Been to HanoiKids Tour? Share your experiences!