“Over booking pratice : guest house to avoid !”

Thu Giang Guesthouse
Ranked #73 of 432 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We made an advance booking to this guest house one week prioir to our arrival.
And despite having written confirmation by email from the guest house it self on our booking, when we arrived to check in, we have been refused in this guest house with evidence of over booking pratice.
We have been received by agressive shouting people with no word . It seems they forgot at some point to respect the traveler.
Guest house to avoid.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 20, 2010

This guesthouse was no frills but serviced it's purpose. The people were friendly and very helpful. The price was nice and, it was in a great location, close to the lake.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jared1127
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We arrived at this hostel a little more then jaded after our awful experience at Manh Dung Guesthouse. However our stay here made up for that. The staff showed us to a very basic but spotless room. She explained that she doesnt discount the rooms, but rather sells them at an honest rate. We also booked our Halong Bay tour with them. The tour was great value and we more then got what we paid for, unlike some who had booked with other companies and paid well over the odds. If you are looking for a budget place to stay in Hanoi, with honest reliable staff (a rariety in Hanoi I must say!) this is the place for you. If you are looking for a bit more comfort I would go for a hotel, but book your tours or visa services through these guys!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 20somethingnomad
Reviewed May 7, 2010

we came here after leaving manh dung guesthouse along with everyone else. Me my partner and everybody else who stayed here only had good things to say. and unlike almost every other hotel in Hanoi if you pay extra for upgrades on there trips you will get them.
As for the rooms well there a bit basic but they are cheap, clean and the showers were good. we stayed here and also at there other hotel 2 minutes away in a 6USD room which to date has been the quietest room i have had in asia.

it was the little things like giving us tea and fruit when we were waiting for the bus and giving us information on things that they do not profit from.

wholesome

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lostandfound123
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed at Thu Giang GuestHouse.I was very disappointed.The room was not clean,smelly and noisy.
The staff was soso but they sold us the bad tour to HaLong Bay.And We were very angry.When i came bacj\k Hanoi next,I choosed another place and I was happier.
I will not never recommend any people come to this place.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank beckerlisa80
Reviewed February 4, 2010

This was the second of three hotels I stayed at (tried out) in Hanoi. It was half the price of the other places I stayed ($9 versus $18), and a little less comfortable and clean than the others, but excellent for the price. It is a family place, very homey, and the daughters (Giang and Li, I think) speak excellent English and are very helpful. I tried two different rooms. The higher, cheaper one I did not like, because it was quite a climb and there was a banging noise that kept me away all night. But I would still recommend this place for the price. I like that it is also located in a quiet alley away from the noisy streets of Hanoi.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jjaug17
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I was in Vietnam in October and stayed in three different hotels in Hanoi during different part of my trip including Thu Giang. When I went back this year, I chose Thu Giang again.

The rooms are basic but have everything needed and it's a great price for the area. There is a small lobby area where you can meet other travellers and there is also an internet terminal. It's a bit more relaxed than the main tourist area north of the lake but is only 5 - 10 minutes walk away.

The staff at Thu Giang are also really helpful. The day I arrived my flight was delayed 2.5 hours and I arrived after midnight. The manager's sister stayed at the hotel (sleeping in the lobby) so she could let me in.

The main reason I stayed there again was because the staff were reliable and honest when making travel arrangements, unfortunately not common in Vietnam and not my experience in other hotels in Hanoi. I asked Thu Giang to book an overnight train ticket while I was out of Hanoi and paid for it in advance. When I came back to pick it up, the train I requested wasn't available so they had booked another one - and gave me a partial refund because the ticket was less expensive.

When I booked an airport transfer with them, it arrived on time and without other people in it. At two other hotels / travel agents (one in Saigon and one in Hoi An), I paid for a transfer and when the car arrived found other passengers would be sharing it who had also paid for a transfer. The cost was not shared, meaning double the fare for the hotel or travel agent.

I've stayed at Thu Giang twice now and if I am back in Hanoi, it will be my first choice again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo