“Family run, helpfull staff, great location!!”

Thu Giang Guesthouse
Ranked #57 of 341 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Jerusalem, Israel
“Family run, helpfull staff, great location!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We found this guesthouse on lonely planet and heard some good reviews from friends. The first hotel (they have 2) was ok, but the second one had newer and nicer rooms. We paid 12$(a/c was 2$ extra) per night for a room for 2. Very clean and comfy. Not the nicest rooms but if you're on a low budget, it's perfect.
The real plus was the staff - very helpful with any kind of resturant, shopping and site seeing in Hanoi (the two sisters have amazing English). We also booked the halong bay cruise with them and were very satisfied! They have free wifi that works all over the hotel (even the last floor) and also computers in the first hotel.
Be carful at the airport - the driver took us to a hotel that pretended to be giang g.h with a fake piece of paper. When looking out the window, we saw the name did not appear at all (-: I'd suggest asking them for a airport pick up.

Very recommended!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank JonDror

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
Shah Alam, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I booked 2 night stay with Thu Giang guesthouse. Their located center of Hanoi, easy access and convenient too. Rooms complete with Wifi. I also booked 3d2n Halong Bay tour with them, and they quote me reasonable price compare to other traveler that I know. The owner also is very informative and friendly. I 100% recommend their guesthouse to other traveler.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AAAriff
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was our first stop on our 2 month trip and it was the perfect place to start. We were picked up from the airport and took straight to the Ma May hostel right in the centre of the Old Quarter. The twin room we stayed in was perfectly clean with an electronic safe, not that we felt we needed it as the hotel was so secure. The staff were so friendly and helpful sorting out our transport all the way to Saigon and helped us find our way around the crazy streets of Hanoi. This would be the perfect place for all travellers in groups or travelling alone as there are so many friendly people about. Cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mitchell C
La Spezia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I booked this hotel from Italy, choosing it from the Lonely Planet guide as it was advertised as a good, quiet location and the owners being very honest. Not only are they honest, but they are very friendly, helpful and nice. The girl I spoke to was always available, her English was amazing and she took great care of me with my problems (I am celiac and I had a lot of questions about Vietnamese food, gluten free options and so on). I had just landed and she really played a role in making our holiday a great one. She recommended some good places to eat and even walked me to one, explaining in Vietnamese about my GF diet - I really appreciated that!
The location is great, the rooms are indeed a bit basic, but clean. The price is honest. I definitely recommend it to every budget traveller.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LauraXYZ
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed at the 1st Thu Giang Guesthouse for 3 nights. The airport pickup was on-time, reasonably priced (compared to other hostels) and in a nice car with lots of space for our luggage.

The guesthouse itself is in the center of the Hoan Kiem area, but is two alley ways separated from the main road, which makes it very quiet and peaceful despite its central location. The manager is extremely friendly and speaks excellent english, and is very helpful suggesting local food options that are cheap and delicious. They offer trip bookings, but they don't make a super hard sell.

The room itself was spacious (even though we had a "small" double room). The bed wasn't super comfortable, but was very typical of beds in Vietnam hostels in general. The bathroom was large and acceptable, but didn't drain super quickly.

For the price (we paid $9/night), Thu Giang was an excellent value in an ideal location. I would stay again, and recommend it for budget travelers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank danibren
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed at the Thu Giang Guesthouse for 4 nights in total. The staff are extremely friendly, gave lots of advice about the good parts (and bad parts) of staying in Hanoi! They were the friendliest people I met in Vietnam.

The rooms are basic (and not suitable for everyone) but they are cheap. If you cannot cope with a bit of damp on the wall, then this is not the place for you to stay. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ajm28
alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

this cozy guesthouse in a great location in hanoi--close to puppet theatre, the lake, and shopping areas. safe, clean, well run and affordable. i stayed 4 days at 9$ a night. the rooms are a bit small, but clean and the bathroom is a bit cramped, but is manageable. the stay was well worth it though--this family run guesthouse is one of the better guesthouses i stayed in Vietnam in January 2012. the family is super helpful with directions, and are informative and helpful with regards to traveler inquiries about local tours of halong bay and area. i liked them because they werent ''pushy'' about tours, but will answer any questions you have of tours and local sites, or directions to certain spots in hanoi, like where to eat ''dog meat'', etc. they can arrange a bus or train ticket for you and are reliable and trustworthy. internet access and bicycle rental was nice to have as well!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo