“Excellent, comfortable and friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Hotel

Art Hotel
Ranked #45 of 336 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Excellent, comfortable and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

I'd have to agree with the other reviewers on the Hanoi Art Hotel. This place has it all, and I felt very much at home here. I like this location better than being in the heart of the Old Quarter because you get to see the everyday life of the average Vietnamese here, and the Lake area is not especially far either. If I could criticize this place at all, I would say they need to add a little more "art" to the Art Hotel. Give yourself a treat and reserve at least one night in their family rooms with oversized balcony (must be one of the largest room balconies in Vietnam).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank JD-the-expat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

i rang this hotel as i was travelling north,the manager chris spoke very good english on the phone and organised to pick us up at the airport.From the time we arrived at this hotel the hospitality was outstanding,the staff are all very friendly and helpful.They organised our Halong Bay trip(which i recommend to all).I felt very safe leaving my belongings(computer)at hotel while we went up to Sapa.Thanks again to Chris and staff we will be back

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

This hotel, we are sure, has some of the best customer service and "quality" assistance you will find anywhere in Hanoi. This hotel was recommended to us by a local guide of a national park - he said "trust me, you won't be disappointed".

We arrived in the evening and were seated at a "very clean" eating area, offered refreshments and shown to our room, which was very clean, spacious, very nicely dressed and overlooked the street. We paid a little extra to stay in a "delux" rooms which was excellent value at around $65.

This is some of the service we are are talking about:

1) After coming down from our room, we wondered where a good Indian Restaurant would be (our favourite food). The manager Ms Lee immediately looked up the address of an excellent restaurant, called a taxi and then negotiated with the driver a fair price to take us there.

2) Whilst looking up the restaurant details, we advised we wanted to go on the Harlom Bay day tour the very next morning but we were not sure if we had left it too late. Ms Lee said, not a problem, whilst you are at dinner, I will book your day trip for you. Sure enough, when we came back, the tour was booked and we were collected at 8am the next morning after a great breakfast and vietnamese coffee. English is spoken very well which assists greatly when trying to organise future events.

3) After our day trip, we decided to get the bus to drop us off at the same Indian Restaurant that we'd been the evening before (to avoid catching a taxi from the Hotel). Accordingly, we arrived back at the hotel later than the tour would ordinarily drop us off. Ms Lee was worried about us and took the time and initiative to call the tour company to make sure we were ok and that the bus had not broken down or worse. We thought this a sweet and caring gesture.

4) The next morning (our last day), I mentioned how much I liked the coffee served at the Hotel and I asked where I could buy it. Ms Lee said, "I will take you to where I buy the coffee for the Hotel". "You will not find it in tourist shops". So she went to the trouble of taking me on her motor bike to the shop - we even did an extra tour around town to find my husband who stayed behind to walk around as he is very tall and would not fit on the bike. Anyway, the coffee is excellent and I am drinking it now at home, thanks to Ms Lee. It was also lots of fun to be chauffeured around Hanoi on bike by someone I could trust.

5) Whilst waiting to be collected to go to the airport, we were keen to eat some of their choc. mango crepes (which they have on the breakfast menu). It was around 2:30pm in the afternoon and they explained the kitchen is closed. We tried to see where else we could go, but unfortunately, all the crepe places were too far away in order for us to meet our airport schedules. Upon realising this, Ms Lee and the owner Chris, unexpectedly came up with a solution that their breakfast chef (who was now working elsewhere at this time of day), come back to the Hotel and cook us crepes. We did not realise that the chef had to come to the hotel especially for us when we excepted the offer of crepes. So in the end, when we did find out about all the trouble the staff were going to, we felt guilty but so cared for. We greatly admire the caring nature of all the staff. The crepes were just what we needed and we thanked all the staff profusely.

Lee Moon is Ms Lee's sister and is beautifully genuine and Chris, the owner is also so pleasant and helpful. Upon leaving in the taxi, we felt we had grown close to all the staff and I genuinely felt I would miss them. For a comfortable stay, excellent assistance with organising tours etc and for that extra touch of friendliness and homeliness, we recommend the Art Hotel for every type of traveller.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tubbado
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

I spent 2 nights in mid-november 2010 and couldn't be happier. The service and attention to your needs is incredible. For me it was centrally located to the places I was interested in and easy to find after you inevitably get turned around in the Old Quarter. From bell hops to the manager and the lovely desk crew they alwaysmade sure you were taken care of. I assure you I was willing to write this review from the day I arrived. If great value in a small hotel is what you want this is a find.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank ziwottraveler
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

As a gay couple, we found it refreshing that this appeared gay-friendly. No-one raised an eyebrow when we requested a double bed. This place is hard to find and is very small. The rooms, however, are beautifually decorated, and you feel like you are staying at a B&B. You don't even notice there is barely a window present. The breakfast is nice and the staff are helpful with organising tours for you.
The most impressive thing about this place is the friendliness of the young staff there. They really made our stay enjoyable.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DumbaMelbourne
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

Conveniently located in the old district, this hotel, in a typically narrow fronted building, has just been updated with style. It is within walking distance to all shopping, restaurants and some of the tourist sites in the area or easy to pick up a cyclo (bargain for a good rate).
Breakfast is not buffet but has a good range of choice. They cook a good omelet which is not overcooked.
When our matress was way too hard, they organised for us to change to another roon where the matress was much more comfortable. Reception was always very friendly and helpful and management was very keen to ensure that all was going well with our stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Henry_D42
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

This hotel was clean, modern and very quiet. If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of Hanoi's streets, this is THE place.
The staff was extremely friendly, especially the lady at the desk and the manager. He was extremely helpful and professional. We were looked after very well.
We also booked a trekking in Sapa through him, which was an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple