“Excellent base to explore Old Quarter” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanoi Blue Sky Hotel

Hanoi Blue Sky Hotel
Ranked #137 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Darwin, Australia
“Excellent base to explore Old Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Spent 3 nights in total at this extremely good value for money hotel.
Very accomodating staff, nice breakfasts and overall a very enjoyable stopover.
Modern, clean bathroom, cold air conditioning and soft pillows.
You deserve 5 stars!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gordon C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We only paid £9 ($15) a night for a triple room with private bathroom and breakfast! The breakfast was lovely, a choice of noodles or fresh bread with either butter, jam, cheese or eggs. We used the hotel as our base in Vietnam as luggage storage was free. The staff were so friendly and helped us to organise tours and train tickets. The location is really good too!

Room Tip: The rooms on floors 2 and 4 had poor wifi signal
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

The staff here will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can, they're so kind. Clean hotel, comfortable quiet beds and a good price to match. Only 2 mins walk from the night market so plenty to see. Would definitely recommend the place! They set us up on some awesome trips with cheaper prices than online! The free breakfast was pretty good too.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel was one of my favourites in Vietnam, great location, nice big room with breakfast included. Overall very good value, the best thing about this place is the staff, they were all so kind and friendly. We booked our Ha long bay cruise through them and we were very pleased, they have good knowledge of the tourist attractions and tours. When we left to travel south, they ordered us a taxi and wished us well, they even offered to pay our taxi fair! would go again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here for the last 6 nights and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and the rooms were cleaned every day. It is right in the heart of the city so was easy to get around. Breakfast was simple but enough to kickstart your day. We would definitely come back, especially for $12 a night!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

This hotel is truly a little gem. Located a bit north-west of the Old Quarter, it's a convenient location to get to pretty much anywhere in Hanoi. Rooms are nice and clean (and quiet), and the free breakfast has a few options and is good.

But the best part is the amazing staff - Moon and everyone else we interacted with were nothing short of amazing. From the moment you step in, you feel welcome. Everyone provided great advice and help on anything we asked for - what to do in and around Hanoi, booking tours, transportation, you name it.

We could not have hoped for a better place to start our trip in Vietnam, and would highly recommend the Blue Sky Hotel to anyone passing through Hanoi!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed "here" for 4 nights. On arrival after a day of traveling, they weren't prepared for my arrival at all. Firstly, they were overbooked - fair enough this happens. But it was as though they had not organised what to do with my booking, so the receptionist made a few phone calls... 15 minutes later they send me to another hotel. When I arrive, they check me in to the new hotel, only to tell me I need to return to the Blue Sky hotel the following day. I was a bit frustrated as they mentioned nothing of this when I initially arrived at the Blue Sky and already had plans the next day - they shoved me off without a word. The new hotel called the manager of Blue Sky and I spoke with her, she was pushy, and really unfriendly when I mentioned I didn't want to change hotels the following day but to be honest, I was more annoyed with the fact they didn't bother to tell me anything upon my initial arrival. Anyway, she finally offered to keep me at the new hotel, although after we finish the conversation the new hotel informs me they can't give me a room for the entire stay so in the end, I tell them I'll just go back to the Blue Sky the following day. First night at the other hotel was fine, to their credit the Blue Sky put me in a slightly nicer hotel. Then I return to the Blue Sky the second day to be told I will need to change rooms AGAIN the day after. Anyway, that's just the handling of the reservation part of it... Beware if you book a room here, there is a good chance you will be moved around a lot or be put in a room you did not book... I was on the 3rd floor, and then moved to the 5th floor. For me was okay, didn't mind the exercise but if you're older or have babies, forget it. In short, my advice is to pay $2-$3 more per night for a better hotel and you'll end up saving money in the long run (for instance on breakfast)... Elsewhere you receive a much better breakfast (breakfast at Blue Sky was a joke), an elevator (if you don't want to shlep luggage up or down 5 floors at Blue Sky), a much nicer lobby (Hanoi has so many budget hotels with charming lobbies - the "lobby" at Blue Sky is old, zero character and looks and feels like a typical Hanoi travel agency...) and, an overall much nicer hotel with much nicer rooms... I assume previous reviewers who have rated Blue Sky highly are thrilled with the tours booked by the hotel, perhaps they are really good at doing that (can't comment there) and as a result guests rate the hotel highly. They also assume it is excellent value for money (okay, it isn't bad value at all) but don't realise that there are literally hundreds of budget hotels in Hanoi in the same price range that provide a much better hotel, a proper sumptuous buffet breakfast, and better rooms.
To be fair, it's extremely cheap and most of the rooms (not the 5th floor) are good value. This hotel is just so run-down and lifeless in comparison to hundreds of other budget places in town, I can't imagine why you wouldn't pay a few dollars more to save yourself money and hassle in the long-term. They also did my laundry once which ended in little white pieces of something stuck to all the clothes...

Room Tip: Try to avoid the 5th floor. The hotel faces 2 sides, so if you're a light sleeper be sure to ask...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo