“Impressed with Impressive”

Hanoi Impressive Hotel
Ranked #42 of 606 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Impressive Hotel was exactly what I was looking for in a hotel. I'd booked my first 3 days in Hanoi at the Impressive and my last few nights in another hotel. A couple of months before my trip I emailed both hotels just to confirm bookings, room etc. Michael at the Impressive replied promptly whereas the other hotel didn't reply at all. So I cancelled my booking at the other and decided to spend my last 3 nights at the Impressive as well. I emailled Michael several times about different things - transport from the airport, stuff re my friend who was arriving later in the evening from Cambodia. Michael always replied within 24 hours. That to me was a good indication of the hotel. That and the reviews. I wanted a hotel a bit like the Cheers bar ( remember the American show ) -where everybody knows your name . When I arrived in Hanoi, there was someone there to meet me who took me to the hotel. As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by name by the day manager Antoine . Then I knew I was at the kind of hotel I wanted to be at. I ended up staying there 8 nights all up - with a Halong Bay cruise and Sapa trip in between. Firstly, the staff were very friendly and attentive. The desk staff spoke very good English although the porters not so well - but that didn't matter. The staff really were second to none, they were great. The breakfast in the morning was very good with small yet nice variety of goods on offer from fresh fruit, breads, eggs cooked how you wanted, pancakes, pho, juices, coffee. I personally don't like too much choice for brekky. All up I was in 3 different rooms. Each one had a balcony overlooking the small street the hotel was on and had a view of the cathedral. I had one night in Room 803 which had a big balcony and the best view of the cathedral. My last 3 nights were in Room 601 which had a full size bathtub - good for a relaxing soak after a long day of wandering around Hanoi. The rooms were of a good size, as were the bathrooms and very clean. Location of the hotel is great, close to the St Joseph's Cathedral which is a good reference point when finding your way around or finding your way back to the hotel. It is also close to Lake Hoan Kiem. The hotel organised trips as well. Antoine organised our trip to Sapa - the overnight train, accommodation etc . All went smooth, no problems. We got everything he said he'd organised to the nice hotel in Sapa, transfers, guide. The hotel also organised a day trip for me which was good. This is a great hotel and would recommend it. If ever I go back to Hanoi I would definitely stay at the Impressive again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Hanoi Impressive Hotel is a small hotel in the lane running down the side of the Cathedral. It is on the western side of the old town abutting the French quarter. The location could not be better. The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mark f
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a delightful little place, in a lovely little street.The staff and service were excellent, the room beautiful, the breakfast tasty, and the atmosphere exactly what you want. The location is good (a short walk from Lake Hoan Kiem) and the price was brilliant value for money. After racking my brain for something that isn't gushing, I remembered that the desktop computer in the room needed repair (it wouldn't boot up) that was beyond the capabilities of the porter - but who needs a computer in the room these days? Actually, if the computer wasn't there, it would free up a power point or two for recharging all the stuff we take with us now.
Also, front desk staff had probably the highest level of English I've found in all the VN-ese hotels I've stayed at.

Room Tip: A "Suite" is still just a normal hotel room, but it was a good size room, especially consi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at The Impressive, Hanoi three times in the last 2years and on each occasion have been hugely impressed with the service and comfort. This recent trip was no exception and Michael the manager has recently renovated the rooms and made the bathrooms (though small) well up to the standard of more expensive hotels. Michael and Diep the receptionist are unfailingly helpful and the experience is more like staying in a friend's home. The free wifi comes complete with your own pc which is a welcome addition not available in many places. The breakfast is a mixture of western and Vietnamese cuisine and again very good. For anyone wanting a comfortable and welcoming hotel that is right in the middle of the old quarter - all for a very reasonable price,the Impressive is by hard to beat!

Room Tip: I had a 3rd floor room overlooking the street but a view out on to trees which seemed to muffle any...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Hotel Impressive. The room and bathroom were clean, and the breakfast buffet had a nice selection of Vietnamese and western food. The hotel had a nice location in the Old Quarter, near the lake, shopping, and lots of restaurants. The staff went above and beyond and provided excellent service throughout our stay. They were especially helpful with recommendations, planning excursions, and giving directions. We highly recommend the Impressive!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Loved our stay in this mini hotel, excellent location great views from our balcony of the city, the church, the craziness below. the rooms were beautifully decorated good size, clean, large comfy beds Good Wi-Fi, all basic utilities. My partner loved the Phoo at breakfast. Staff were wonderful extremely helpful and fun! Helped make our stay in Hanoi very enjoyable. excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhonda p
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Impressive in name and in every other category.We have just spent three days here in Hanoi and we can thoroughly recommended this hotel to people wanting high quality service and a comfortable well located hotel. From organising our tours to both Sapa and Halong Bay to the wonderfully friendly staff and the great breakfasts, it has been Sensational. To paraphrase a once famous Countdown host on Australian TV...if you re coming to Hanoi ..do yourself a favour and stay here !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple