“Excellent hotel”
Review of Silk Path Hotel

Silk Path Hotel
Ranked #56 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel has everything a discerning traveller needs. A good location, friendly staff comfortable rooms and a great restaurant. The breakfast was excellent. It can be a bit difficult for large coach pick up and drop offs due to the busy road out front. Our small coach had no trouble. Stepping out your door puts you straight into the busy motor bike life in Hanoi, you have an easy 20 minute walk to the lake. The served the best coffee in Vietnam I had tried.

Room Tip: Back rooms would be quieter, but front rooms have a view of the busy Hanoi life.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I'm so glad you had a wonderful stay with us! Our staff is dedicated to making sure each guest has the most enjoyable stay as we can provide. We are happy that you found that our hotel had all of the things you needed for your stay. Also I will pass along your comments to our Restaurant staff and commend them on achieving your comment on the best Vietnamese Coffee and encourage them to keep up the good work.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel Hanoi on your next visit to Hanoi.

Silk Path Hotel Hanoi

Write a ReviewReviews (2,395)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a very modern hotel in the Old Quarter in Hanoi. It's near Hoan Kiem Lake, the Old Quarter, and easy walking distance to many, many restaurants, bars, shopping, a night market, etc. The restaurant was very nice with great service. The rooms were adequately sized, not as spacious as other hotels in Vietnam that we stayed in, but for being in the middle of a big city, it had plenty of space (definitely bigger than some New York City rooms I've stayed in!). The staff were super friendly. One of the women who worked in the restaurant suggested a great Pho restaurant and taught us a little Vietnamese pronunciation. The breakfast was good as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I'm glad that you found Silk Path Hotel to be a good base for your adventure through Hanoi. The hotel is located relatively centrally to most of the attractions in Hanoi's Old Quarter, many of which are within a 2km walk.

We are also pleased that you found our service satisfactory. Our staff are dedicated to providing the best service they can to each of our guests. They will be pleased to hear that their efforts are being noticed.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope to be able to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel on your next visit to Hanoi.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked the Silk Path after recommendations from Tripadvisor and was not dissapointed.
We scheduled an airport transfer from Hanoi airport to this hotel and the driver was friendly and we felt extremely safe in the vehicle - The transfer price was a bit expensive (50USD for 2 people), but our check in to our hotel was smooth and easy and the staff came to our room to show us how to use the shower, the lights and the blinds (all very fancy!)
Room faced inward to a lobby but that was fine - as it allowed us to get away from the hustle and bustle that was vietnam for a few days.
The room was small, but well equipped with good wireless access and good pressure on the shower. The only thing that was a bit, um, embarrassing at first was the fact that the Bathroom has a frosted glass window that faces into the room... while this might be fine for couples - when sharing with a friend or relative (which I was the former), it can be a bit awkward when you turn and realize there's a naked body standing in the window showering!
Now, although there was no way for them to know this - it's more just a tip for travelers - however since there were 2 single beds in our room it might be a suggestion to put up a curtain that can be drawn when showering?
all of the concierge staff knew our names, and everyone was really friendly - Not all of them spoke a ton of English but that's to be expected. They are really trying, so that's really good.
Breakfast in the hotel was yummy and plentiful, but we chose to go elsewhere most of the time (since there are so many great cafes close by). the first night we had dinner @ the hotel and it was great - and the service was impeccable, however they had a flute player there and while she played well - it was just too loud for the area... so loud that when we went back upstairs, we could hear it in our room!

If you turn right and go down the road about 10 mins walk you'll get to the lake, but before that, take your first right down the street by the hotel, and there are some great little shops and a few good cafes to have breakfast at.

Overall a great stay - and would definitely stay there again if back in Hanoi.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise - higher rooms, or rooms that don't have a window facing the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Silvergrl
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I am glad to see the at least you had an overall good stay with us. That is something our staff work very hard to achieve and I am happy we were able to meet that goal for you.

While I have talked to my superiors on your issue with the showers we have not come to a hard conclusion on which method to employee to avoid situations such as this. I have been assured that the engineers are working diligently to solve the issue.

Again I would like to thank you for leaving your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel on your next visit to Hanoi.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I used the Silk Path as a base whilst travelling throughout Northern Vietnam. Each time we returned we were welcomed by pleasant staff who were only to pleased to help. On the days we were travelling they allowed us to store bags and use bathroom facilities to freshen up after long train or car trips.
Breakfast and bar facilities were great, good service plus family friendly. Location was fabulous walking distance to local shops and restaurants, with recommendations made by the hotel for excellent food.
Checkout was simple, overall a great stay.

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Rob B
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As always our staff was delighted to greet you and help you during your stay with us.

Thanks again for your kind reviews and I hope to be able to welcome you again to Silk Path Hotel on your next trip to Hanoi.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Overall we were pleased with the hotel. Positives: decor, amenities, cleanliness, breakfast buffet (good choice but a bit expensive), friendly and helpful staff. Location is good in that it's central to get to old town, cathedral area and Hoan Kiem lake, plus within walking distance of Ho Chi Minh complex and Hanoi Hilton Prison. But if you're more interested in being in the heart of the old town, it's about a 15 min walk away, factoring in the crazy traffic. Although breakfast was good, we also found puku cafe just 5 mins round the corner to have good value breakfasts, a third of the hotel price.

Staff were also really helpful in letting us leave our main bags whilst we went for any overnight trip to Halong Bay and in arranging to get a jumper back to us that we left in our room.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris H

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Although I understand that the prices in our restaurant are more expensive than some of the ones you might find outside, the food within the hotel is safer than most of what you run the risk of on the streets.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Another reviewer mentioned being outside the regular age demographic. I am of the "backpacker" age and dressed like so. However, the hotel staff provided us with top notch service. When we had to leave for the airport before the breakfast buffet opened, they put together a takeaway food package. By the way, the breakfast buffet is excellent and includes delicious western food. All other interactions with the staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Justin M
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for you comments! I'm glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our staff is diligently striving to make sure each guest has the best stay possible with us. We are happy to say that we achieved this goal with you.

I will pass on your comments about the food, the Chef and his staff will be pleased.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel Hanoi.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

As the title suggests, our experience at the Silk Path Hotel was less than expected. Being outside the regular age demographic (much younger), we felt we were treated below the usual standard of a 4 star institution. For example, we did not receive any of our "my-time" benefits and were not explained the running of the hotel (room service procedures, breakfast locations, luggage storage, etc.).

The location was questionable. Situated in the heart of the old-town, it was not the safest place for two young girls travelling. In addition, our room was also infested with ants. We alerted reception to this issue on numerous occasions and while bug spray was made avaialble, little else was done to correct the situation. In a 4 star hotel, guests should not have to Aeroguard (insect repellant) themselves before going to bed. Most disappointing was our conversation with a customer service representative the next day; we were informed that it was a "seasonal" insect issue and were not offered anything to compensate our discomfort and distress (not even a drink).

Positives were the decor, breakfast selection and bell staff. Just a heads up for those travelling in platonic relationships, the shower is completely transparent. This made for uncomfortable situations while travelling with my sister.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stef T
Daphne D, Guest Relations Manager at Silk Path Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments! I apologize that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us to the fullest and that you felt unsafe in Hanoi’s Old Quarter. While there is petty theft and badgering in the Old Quarter, I’m pretty sure you can say that about any big city. Hanoi’s Old Quarter however, is a relatively safe place for tourists such as yourself to go and stay. The security guards at Silk Path Hotel work diligently to make sure our guests are as safe as possible in the hotel.

As to your situation with the ants. I am the person you spoke with and unfortunately it seems that we had a breakdown in communication. When I had spoken to you on this issue I had been informed that our staff had already taken care of the issue. I had not known that the issue was on going and that you had been spraying by yourselves. As I had mentioned to you before the ants were seasonal and appeared in the Vietnamese “warm winter.”

Again I apologize for the miscommunications and for your troubles with us. I have checked with the other parties within our hotel and we are working on a solution to this issue and also for other issues of a similar nature. We hope to welcome you back to Silk Path Hotel in the future to gauge our progress.