“Nice rooms and friendly staff...”

and 1 more site!
Hanoi Liberty Hotel
Ranked #261 of 624 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice rooms and friendly staff...”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

After reading the reviews we were a bit afraid about not taking the tours they offered. However, after booking both the Halong Bay tour and our open bus ticket at another hotel we could stay:). Not one single bad word or anything from the staff. Allthough we did not meet the infamous 'manager'. We did get a 10% service charge on our tab. But we wanted to give a tip anyway beacause the hotelgirl arranged a simcard and some other stuff too for us...
The room was really nice and clean!

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mfreriks

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2010

The hotel itself was fine for the money- $21 for 1 night and they picked us up at the airport after we were touted at Vientiane airport. However, the guy who runs the show pushed very hard to sell us one of his tours and kicked out 2 other rooms who didn't buy tours the morning we left, not nice. Fine if you only plan to stay one night and don't want a tour, but be wary

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

pape city
Reviewed December 26, 2010

the liberty hotel is a spring board for an overpriced halong bay tour.
free pick-up at the airport, although, we paid the driver $2 each (standard) all the while you have no idea where the driver is taking you (i.e., i had the impression that the fake vietnam airlines i.d. badge meant it was a vietnam airlines shuttle).
upon arrival at the liberty, the inn keeper touts everyone for a $15 dolla' room. refusal to do so gets you the 'what, my hoe-tew no good nuff fo' you' response. we took the room but used the hotel's fast wi-fi to research the hotel on trip advisor. we read the previous stories so made it clear that the price was $15 incl. tax and breakfast. no problems. we got the hard sell on the halong bay tour almost instrantly. we refused. the following day, after the 10th 'no', he wanted to be paid for the room + 10% tax + shuttle bus fee and at a crazy exchange rate. we got out with paying the $15 bill only but had to leave immediately. luckily we pre-booked the asian ruby hotel -- a much nicer establishment.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is a scam. The hotel is 17$ but the staff are OVERBEARING and only want to sell you 3day Halong Bay boat trips. If you don't book they'll boot you out.
We were approached in the airport in Laos (Luang Probang) and thought we'd check it out because of the free airport transfer- but it was awful. It was nothing like the pictures- no widescreen, no computer, no big beds and lots of room-all lies. And the eggs were the greasiest eggs I've had in all of Asia. Oh and the lobby computers were meant to be available for guests but the staff were constantly on them and the characters were all changed so they were virtually not usable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Short version: We were booted out at 9pm after one night because we refused to book a two night tour to Halong bay through the hotel. The owner said he didn’t like me from the beginning and that “everyone will hate you.” I did nothing wrong in my opinion except refuse a two day tour which I didn’t want. I even overpaid by $2 just to get out of the hotel that night without a fight...

Long version: we were approached at the airport in Luang Prabang by a rep from Liberty hotel. He had pics and a list of things the hotel offered. The hotel offered virtually none of these things. We DID get a free pickup from the airport if we agreed to stay at the hotel - $17 US per night. We agreed to stay even though the room was little more than a closet with a really tiny double bed (as you can see in photos here). There was a TV and a fridge and air con, so it wasn’t all bad for $17 a night. Plus, it seemed quite clean (i.e. no roaches, etc). I was just a little annoyed that the pictures we were shown were of a completely different hotel, and I asked where that hotel was. I was told that the hotel in the pictures was $50 a night. After refusing to book a 2 day tour through Liberty hotel we were told at 9pm we had to check out the next day as our room was booked already. In 4 months traveling south east Asia that is the first time this has happened to me in LOW SEASON. The owner informed me he didn’t like me and that I made him angry the first night because I said the hotel didn’t look like the pictures. Yeah, fair enough, because the pictures were of a different hotel. We left that night and found several brilliant hotels for around $22-27 US per night. Check out A25 or Rendevous….both within 50-100m of Liberty. Not only will I be posting this on Tripadvisor.com, but I’ll also be filing a complaint with the Vietnamese Hotel Assoc. as recommended in Lonely Planet. I talked with this fellow 4 times the last day – 11am, 1pm, 5pm, and 9pm. He chooses 9pm after I’d finally decided I didn’t want the tour to tell me I had to leave. Then he tops it all off with “I never liked you, and no one else will like you.” Well, no…No one will like me when I’ve been lied to and then turfed out at 9pm…it puts me in a bit of a bad mood. No? Otherwise I’m totally reasonable and even overpaid $2 to cover a 7up from the minibar without any hassle since we left at 9pm (but that was his choice, not mine…I just couldn’t be bothered to argue with this owner anymore). I’m sure others would have just left without paying a dime…

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWAJ123
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Chose this hotel as offered free pick up from airport. Got room for 15 dollars each
Only 6 rooms. All rooms modern with tv, fridge, air con. Said there was wifi - but it doesnt reach top floor. During monsoon rain, the roof leaked onto the bed. We changed rooms next day. Rooms on front of hotel are very noisy (well it is hanoi afterall). Breakfast was good though.
We booked tour to Halong Bay with this company. Should have been 129 dollars each and we got it down to 100 each. When came to paying we were charged a 10% government tax that no other vietnamese hotel (7 hotels in vietnam) has charged and was not mentioned at any point until check out so cancelled out any of the good prices we had been given....and was 10% tax on the tour as well as the rooms....you have been warned!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Never ask any service from this hotel!
I asked them booking 5 train tickets for us at 7/22/2010 (Hanoi to Hue 8/17/2010 depart at 23:00). I checked in to this hotel at 8/15/2010. When I checked out from this hotel and tried to pick up my tickets at 8/16/2010, the reception personnel said that the tickets were locked in the drawer and only the manager had the key to get the tickets. He guaranteed that he could give me the tickets when I backed to Hanoi from HaLong Bay at 8/17/2010. I finally got my tickets at 8/17/2010 night but with a price 10% higher than the price (a price already including some good commision) they promised to me. I had to accept their extortion otherwise I will not be able to catch up my train. Another guest of this hotel told me that a similar situation also happened to her. I guess that this hotel used to use this trick to cheat their guest out of money.
The reception personnel called a taxi for us to the rail station and asked for a rate of 40000 Vietnamise dongs. I agreed to take the taxi although I knew the regular taxi rate from the hotel to the rail station was aroung 14000 dongs. I expected that I can get a better service from the taxi driver who was called by the hotel. Unfortually, I was terribly wrong. The taxi driver robbed 200000 dong from me and ran away. I should pay the driver before I got off the taxi. Paying money outside the taxi giving the driver a chance to rob my money.
The other bad things: The outlook of the rooms are much worse than the photos shown on their website.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family