“Friendly staffs”

Ranked #262 of 604 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“Friendly staffs”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed at Liberty Hotel for only one night and purchased the Halong Bay tour there. The room is clean but a little small but I wouldn't expect much more at the price. As previous reviewer mentioned, there were mosquitoes at night.

The owner and the staffs were friendly and offered me some helpful information. When I came back to HaNoi from Halong Bay and SAPA, they allowed me stay at the restaurant to wait for the night bus and used there Wifi freely.

Overall, I would recmmend the hotel if you want a clean and cheap place to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Lomuar

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed June 20, 2010

my girlfriend and I planned to stay at the liberty hotel for 3 nights. after we were picked up (late) at the airport we somehow made it to the hotel alive. granted all driving in Hanoi is crazy but this guy welcomed us to the city by texting and driving on the highway.
we arrived at liberty at which point they told us our room was unavailable because the person staying in it before us got sick and needed to stay another night (if you are reading this and fit this description I will believe this story). they walked us to their sister hotel The Rose and guaranteed our rate wouldn't change.
we stayed in a $35 per night room which claimed to have a refrigerator, computer and warm water all of which the room lacked. the room is surface clean but has years of dust built up in harder to clean areas (especially the shutters and under the bed). the room is benedryl pink with flourescent lights half of which don't work. the tv is propped up half by a makeshift desk and half by the broken refrigerator.
the staff seems nice but i believe the other reviewers who were scammed. don't stay at the rose or liberty you can get much more for your money elseware.

• Stayed June 2010

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Sydney
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I'd like to say that we had a fabulous time at the Liberty Hotel, however in the end, that was far from the case.
to cut a long story short, we booked a tour for 2 adults and a child under 4 (at 30% the adult rate). I didn't twig until after we left on the tour that children under 5 are free in Vietnam. So. we paid for all our son's meals on the tour (which were supposedly included) and he sat on our laps on the minibus (which, i might add, was the most crammed into a moving car i've ever been). Upon return, I voiced my concerns and was told that it was the hotel in Sapa (that the tour included) that was at fault and that they would soon sort it out for me. Later, the tour operator rang to ask if he could come up to our room and explain the situation (we had been relocated to the Rose Hotel - their apparent other hotel - while we were away on the tour). I told him instead that I'd meet him downstairs to discuss. what followed was not what you'd call a civil discussion, but I did eventually get all my money back.

Such a shame that these people are dishonest. I can't help but feel that they set out with good intentions, but money got in the way somewhere along the line.

As an endnote, check out all the bogus reviews they've added to tripadvisor about this hotel. Each is a first-time reviewer, each using the same broken english. Really bad business.

Please don't stay here. It could ruin your holiday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Travevietnam, Owner at Hanoi Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2010
Dear valuable customer.

On behalf of the company preface we are extremely sorry you and your family with your inconvenience. However we would like to discuss what happened during the tourism in Sapa: We had emergency meeting for the travel company today is Sunday June 20 GMT 15h.00 lost by what was the understanding from the meeting this afternoon, we received comments about the company cored us for information for you not clear and incorrect information.

Under regulations of Viet Nam domestic tourists for children under 5 yld as follows:

+ Airplane 75 %

+Train free
+ Free domestic travel
+ Bus free
+ Hotel free

Under the provisions of the loan, we've already returned 30% for the total amount you paid- just for fair and owned you, also your family: an apologize. We are just hope, you still give for us a change for fixing our foul. Thank you for your review.

On behalf of the board Liberty hotel

Hotel owner: Tran
Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2010

You can tell they're really trying, but unfortunately they really fall short of the mark. The staff, especially Rose, was very nice and hospitable. Apart from Rose, I don't think any of the other reception staff speak English, and they were a little unprofessional (which I guess is not their fault as it is just the "Vietnamese way" of doing things).

We handed over our passports on check-in and an hour later my partner went downstairs to reception, only to find it unattended and our passports were lying in open view (and reach) on the reception desk of anyone who came to recption. My partner wasn't too happy about this, as you would think if a hotel requires you to hand over such important documents that they would at least take greater care of it. So that was our first incident of unprofessionalism.

The staircase leading up to the rooms is absolutely tiny and narrow, so not suitable for large suitcases. The rooms were very clean (one of the cleanest I've stayed at in Vietnam), but unfortunately there was a major mosquito issue. Turns out the window in the bathroom is only covered by a cloth, no glass or fly screen, so at night all the mosquitos flew in.

The rooms are also extremely small, which Rose apologised about but added that despite this, the facilities are very modern (which was very true).

The "restaurant" where you have breakfast is actually just a makeshift back room with a dining table put in it. It fits about 6 people at any one time so if more than 6 hotel guests come down for breakfast you may have to queue up!

Probably the most scariest experience for us was when we checked out. We happened to check out on a day when one of the non-English speaking staff was on duty, and we asked to pay by credit card. The staff then said the EFT machine wasn't working so he would like to take our credit card to a "neighbouring" hotel to use their machine. We were left speechless about this, no one in their right mind would hand over their credit card to a stranger so they can go swipe it at another hotel's machine, so we asked to come with him instead. He agreed, and the neighbouring hotel turned out to be a good 20min walk (Rose Hotel), by then it was midnight and dark so my partner and I were getting quite nervous as to where he was taking us, but we did finally get there. When we got there he converted our hotel rate into Vietnamese currency using a conversion rate of 19,100 dong/$USD, which I found quite high given the day before the rate was exchanging at 18,900, but we saw him call up the agency and that was the rate they quoted him over the phone (whether he was speaking to a phantom person on the other end is anyone's guess) but we had no choice but to pay the amount. We decided to be safe we would pay cash in the end as we simply didn't trust this guy and his friend at the Rose hotel. They seemed a little annoyed that we decided to pay cash in the end instead of with our credit card, but didn't argue further.

To this day I still don't know if we were scammed or not, but I think to be safe I wouldn't stay in this hotel again, even if it was cheap and location was great. I would definitely pay a bit more for peace of mind.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Having booked the Hanoi Liberty some months in advance and confirmed the booking the day before AND had the hotel arrange our pick-up from the airport we turned up at 10:30pm (in the hotel car) to be told our room had been sold to someone else!!

This was communicated to us along with a range of lies about the airport pickup and our flight being late (which it wasn’t) and being directed to another one of the owners hotels (which turned out to be the wonderful Rendezvous hotel which thankfully was not owned by the same business – yet another lie by the Liberty staff).

Having viewed a room at the Liberty I would consider the Rendezvous to be a considerably better option and it’s 50m round the corner.

Avoid this hotel if you want any guarantee of somewhere to sleep. Totally untrustworthy business.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank talltaff
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I arrived early and there was no english speaking person at the reception. However, they called the manager and he explained me when I could check in and told me I could tak breakfast in the mean time. I like their hospitality. The room I got was also ok. Rather small though. I went out and when I came back in there was water leaking for the ceiling on the bed and floor. So I was relocated. Well, they relocated me in my absence (this was weird). Later they gave the room to other people. The new room was not that good. That night I was on my own and it is weird to have 2 single beds. There was no window in the shower, and mosquitoes in the room. Well, a clam boo worked, but... The room was quiet, so that was very positive.
The next morning I had a discussion for breakfast bcus they said I already had had one. This leaves me with a bad impression of the hotel, which was for the rest of my stay rather nice....

• Stayed May 2010
Sydney
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I asked a few hotels for rates in Hanoi and originally decided on a different hotel. I ended up at Liberty after they e-mail be back with a special offer. They provided free hotel pickup (which was really scary cuz the driver decided to read a letter, drive and talk on the mobile while swaying between several lanes at abnormally slow speed and then spent the rest of the time with his hand on the horn.)

Fortunately the driver's behaviour was not an indication of the hotel's good service. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Unlike most of the other hotels we stayed at in Vietnam, there was no issues with the air conditioning- it was nice and strong. The LCD tvs were a good addition too. breakfast was good too, i think there were 8 choices to choose from and I always picked the chicken pho- yummy.

Good points:
- cheap
- friendly service
- good air conditioning
- good breakfast, one of the best we had in Vietnam
- LCD Tv
- hotel booked my halong tour with Columbus Cruise at cheaper price than I could've gotten on my own, they also threw in free showers and breakfast for the day we came back from sapa and had a few hours before our columbus cruise.

Bad Points
- rooms were super small but considering the cheap price, still good value
- the driver who picked us up was psychotic
- whoever they used for their laundry service did a pretty bad job- some of the clothes smelled afterwards- prob because they were not dried correctly....not fault of the hotel though

Overall I would recommend this hotel if you want a nice clean place with good service and decent breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010