“Rats in ceiling on top floor!”
Review of Golden Wings Hotel

Golden Wings Hotel
Ranked #317 of 628 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Actually quite a nice hotel to start and people seemed very nice, they had only 1 room available on the top floor which was fine at $20 got to the room and the guy said it may smell as has just been painted.. did not smell too bad so stayed. after checking in bit of harassing to do tours but we had already done halong bay. then in the room we discovered there was no cable/English channels on tv which is fine can live without it. We informed reception and they said maby rat has chewed through cable so will try sort next day, only 1 towel in bathroom. so just relaxing in room with no telly on my boyfriend in the shower I hear scattering/thudding on the ceiling and then squeaking must have been rats, we phone reception to see if there was another room because we were not comfortable knowing there was rats right above our heads but there was not we said we don't want to stay, went to leave and get our passports and they did not believe us that there was rats we asked for our passports and they wanted us to pay for room even tho we had been in no longer than 2hours, he said i knock off $5 cos there was no cable and smell of paint we said were not staying why do we have to pay they said we used shower so that cost $15, tried to argue in the end we just payed it and then had to pay another $20 in another hotel that night. They seem nice to start but was frustrating they did not believe us and still had to pay.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank BeckyT5
There are newer reviews for Golden Wings Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

All in all it's ok. Had a room with window and balcony right in the old quarter, but it was all quite small. As soon as we checked in we were also asked about excursions. Or no. Before we checked in and even cpuld say a word, basically. The deluxe rooms though, are not very deluxe. If you get a really good deal withthem you can go for it, it's not at all bad or filthy, but for that price there are a whole lot more and better options closeby.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank xhuxhmaxhuxh
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked a standard room without a window as we were only there for one night after a trip. The room seemed very run down. The walls were grubby as was the bathroom, when we arrived there was hair in the plughole. The wifi didn't work as we were on the ground floor but there was a dodgy looking ethernet cable hanging out of a hole in the wall and the plug next to it didn't work so you couldn't charge the laptop whilst online. The thin walls and door meant that the sound from the reception area could be heard easily at night. The breakfast buffet in the sister hotel was one of the poorest we have had in Vietnam. We had a slight issue and when we raised this with the young gentleman on the desk he became very agitated, quite angry and rude towards us. If you stay here we would suggest you pay more and have a better quality room, but based on our experience we would never stay here again and would not recommend that anyone else did.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the golden wings for about a week at the end of August 2012. I found the people there to be most helpful and happy to assist in anyway.

Hang ,Jessica, Steven and the other employees really looked after me and made me feel welcome and at home.
The accomodation was really good. Room seviced each day and for the price I don't believe anyone could complain TV , ensuite, clean linen , towels etc.

Steven arranged all my tours at competetive prices so i didn't have to shop around for best prices.

I know that i will be going back to Hanoi and i will definately stay with these guys and girls again.

I hope you give the Golden Wings Hotel a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Regards Paul

Oh yer i negotiated to have breakfast and it was a buffett which kept me going till mid afternoon.

Room Tip: If elderly see if you can get a room close to ground floor as some stairs are quite steep
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul b
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed there with 2 other friends for 3 nights and we loved it. Not a 5-star hotel, but everything seems to be so perfect. Big clean room, bathroom with bath tub, TV, fridge, free wifi & internet at the lobby, and the best part is you actually get a balcony overlooking the hustle bustle of Hanoi city.

Strategic location, right in the city center, short walk to all the cool restaurants and bars, even souvenir shopping areas. we took a Bai Tu Long junkboat 1-night package to Ha Long Bay, and the agent's office is just a block away. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all travelers and friends. cheers~

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have balconies, so you can easily smoke outside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Haikal_Hazman
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Golden Wings and Golden Wings II are 2 separate properties on opposite sides of Ma May St in the old quarter. Great location, attractive properties. I booked online and got a great rate ($12 where I believe the hostel down the street was $8 or more fo a dorm). Lucy was a big help in helping me book a trip to Ha Long bay (2 day/1 night). However. A problem arose when I returned. As part of the Ha Long planning, Lucy informed me that she would save my room and my rate for when I returned to stay another 2 nights. When I did return, she was not at work and her colleagues told me my room and the rate were no longer available. I was told the manager put the wrong rate online and that I had to pay the updated rate. They tried to show me online, and I also looked up another property near by to show the price difference. I insisted that I be given what was promised, finally offering to go stay at another place. And here's the thing: ONCE I offered to leave, THEN the ORIGINAL room was made available at the original rate. Clearly they were trying to up sell me in a not so subtle fashion. I have been in SE Asia long enough to know that this is not uncommon, so I was not very upset, but this type of behavior would not be tolerated in many parts of the world.

Take nothing away from the place and the rest of my dealings with the staff. I would give the place a 5 rating if not for this one experience. I still recommend the place, merely be vigilant in your negotiation.

Room Tip: Golden Wings II has an elevator and breakfast, GWI does not, but you can go over to II for breakfast...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for three nights, booking two originally and added another one after arrival. They arranged an airport pick up which was a welcome relief to see after a long flight. Before going I emailed Mrs Tam often with various questions and she was very helpful. We had train tickets delivered here, booked another journey from here via the hotel, and everything was done with a smile. Our room was lovely, simple and clean, and had a well stocked choice of drinks and snacks in the room if we wanted it. Internet use was easy and free. My only negative, which I was in two minds whether to mention as it seems so petty would be that on the second day I noticed my shampoo and conditioner bottles were almost empty having been full upon arrival and used by me only once. We laughed about it, but if you are particular about your brands you might want to keep them hidden...Someone here has a penchant for toiletries! Still a great hotel, and good value right in the centre and a stones throw from some lovely bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: Our front facing room was a little noisy early morning so if you need your sleep opt for a rear room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple