“Run down room, good location”
Review of Golden Wings Hotel

Golden Wings Hotel
Ranked #313 of 620 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Run down room, good location”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked a standard room without a window as we were only there for one night after a trip. The room seemed very run down. The walls were grubby as was the bathroom, when we arrived there was hair in the plughole. The wifi didn't work as we were on the ground floor but there was a dodgy looking ethernet cable hanging out of a hole in the wall and the plug next to it didn't work so you couldn't charge the laptop whilst online. The thin walls and door meant that the sound from the reception area could be heard easily at night. The breakfast buffet in the sister hotel was one of the poorest we have had in Vietnam. We had a slight issue and when we raised this with the young gentleman on the desk he became very agitated, quite angry and rude towards us. If you stay here we would suggest you pay more and have a better quality room, but based on our experience we would never stay here again and would not recommend that anyone else did.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the golden wings for about a week at the end of August 2012. I found the people there to be most helpful and happy to assist in anyway.

Hang ,Jessica, Steven and the other employees really looked after me and made me feel welcome and at home.
The accomodation was really good. Room seviced each day and for the price I don't believe anyone could complain TV , ensuite, clean linen , towels etc.

Steven arranged all my tours at competetive prices so i didn't have to shop around for best prices.

I know that i will be going back to Hanoi and i will definately stay with these guys and girls again.

I hope you give the Golden Wings Hotel a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Regards Paul

Oh yer i negotiated to have breakfast and it was a buffett which kept me going till mid afternoon.

Room Tip: If elderly see if you can get a room close to ground floor as some stairs are quite steep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul b
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed there with 2 other friends for 3 nights and we loved it. Not a 5-star hotel, but everything seems to be so perfect. Big clean room, bathroom with bath tub, TV, fridge, free wifi & internet at the lobby, and the best part is you actually get a balcony overlooking the hustle bustle of Hanoi city.

Strategic location, right in the city center, short walk to all the cool restaurants and bars, even souvenir shopping areas. we took a Bai Tu Long junkboat 1-night package to Ha Long Bay, and the agent's office is just a block away. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all travelers and friends. cheers~

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have balconies, so you can easily smoke outside.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Haikal_Hazman
Changes daily
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Golden Wings and Golden Wings II are 2 separate properties on opposite sides of Ma May St in the old quarter. Great location, attractive properties. I booked online and got a great rate ($12 where I believe the hostel down the street was $8 or more fo a dorm). Lucy was a big help in helping me book a trip to Ha Long bay (2 day/1 night). However. A problem arose when I returned. As part of the Ha Long planning, Lucy informed me that she would save my room and my rate for when I returned to stay another 2 nights. When I did return, she was not at work and her colleagues told me my room and the rate were no longer available. I was told the manager put the wrong rate online and that I had to pay the updated rate. They tried to show me online, and I also looked up another property near by to show the price difference. I insisted that I be given what was promised, finally offering to go stay at another place. And here's the thing: ONCE I offered to leave, THEN the ORIGINAL room was made available at the original rate. Clearly they were trying to up sell me in a not so subtle fashion. I have been in SE Asia long enough to know that this is not uncommon, so I was not very upset, but this type of behavior would not be tolerated in many parts of the world.

Take nothing away from the place and the rest of my dealings with the staff. I would give the place a 5 rating if not for this one experience. I still recommend the place, merely be vigilant in your negotiation.

Room Tip: Golden Wings II has an elevator and breakfast, GWI does not, but you can go over to II for breakfast...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
leicester
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for three nights, booking two originally and added another one after arrival. They arranged an airport pick up which was a welcome relief to see after a long flight. Before going I emailed Mrs Tam often with various questions and she was very helpful. We had train tickets delivered here, booked another journey from here via the hotel, and everything was done with a smile. Our room was lovely, simple and clean, and had a well stocked choice of drinks and snacks in the room if we wanted it. Internet use was easy and free. My only negative, which I was in two minds whether to mention as it seems so petty would be that on the second day I noticed my shampoo and conditioner bottles were almost empty having been full upon arrival and used by me only once. We laughed about it, but if you are particular about your brands you might want to keep them hidden...Someone here has a penchant for toiletries! Still a great hotel, and good value right in the centre and a stones throw from some lovely bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: Our front facing room was a little noisy early morning so if you need your sleep opt for a rear room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoLeicester
Cork
Reviewed September 4, 2012

On the surface the hotel seems nice and the staff very friendly HOWEVER this is far from the case. They are extremely pushy, continuously trying to sell overpriced trips with their only focus being to get as much money out of customers. The rooms were fine and brekky had a good variety but flies and ants were crawling all over the food so we only had fruit there.......

We had a nightmare experience with them which began with one staff member trying to sell us a trip to Sapa. He proceeded to gives us a long sales pitch while continuously ignoring our questions about the price. We eventually established that the trip cost US$140 which was US$40-US$50 higher than the price quoted at a number of other agents at which we had made enquiries. He said that the trains were heavily booked and told us he'd enquire about availability for us. He confirmed availability and we told him we'd think about it and let him know later. We returned to the hotel about 30 mins later and he asked us to pay for the trip saying that he had booked it for us and it could not be cancelled. He did this without us ever confirming. While eager to do the trip, we were not happy with the price and reluctantly agreed to pay US$115 each as we feared he'd do something with our passports. The sales pitch indicated that the price was to include: bus transfers to and from the train station from this hotel in Hanoi, train tickets - 1st class sleeping carriage, all food and accommodation at homestay in SAPA. Personal expenses and beverages were the only excluded items for the trip. In addition, we enquired numerously about the return time as we had an international flight from Hanoi airport @ 9.00 AM the morning we were to arrive back from the trip. We were promised that we would be back in Hanoi for 5.00 AM and he confirmed this throughout the process as it was a big worry to us. Overall the trip was enjoyable but the promises that were sold to us unravelled quickly once it commenced...
1. We ended up getting a different train than that of all the others on our tour and appear to have been put in a lower standard carriage with locals even though we were promised to be in a first class carriage with other tourists.
2. The hotel rang our tour guide in the middle of our trip to inform us that we would not be getting transfers from the train station back to the hotel when we got back to Hanoi. (This was the first we had heard of this). The person on the call was extremely rude and aggressive and hurled abuse at both my girlfriend and I and ended the conversation by hanging up. We were left on the side of a mountain not knowing if there was going to be a transfer to the hotel for us when we returned to Hanoi even though the hotel knew we were under pressure to catch a flight. To add insult, both my partner and I spoke to the guy making the call and he told me his name was Andrew and my girlfriend that his name was Steve!!! Gas Man!!!
3. Once again, our return train was again different to that of the others on our tour. Their train was to leave at 8.15 PM and arrive back in Hanoi at 4.45 AM. We were booked on the 9.30 PM train which was stopping at every station (about 20) on the way to Hanoi and was to get there at 6.55 AM. We only established this when we were given our tickets on the day we were to return. We immediately rang the hotel and they informed us that they could do nothing. They then informed us that they'd arrange a taxi to collect us from the train station and bring us to the hotel to collect our luggage and then onto the airport. I asked the obvious question as to who would pay for this taxi and I was informed that it was for me to foot the bill. Another fight ensued and eventually we were told that they had now arranged for us to get the 8.30PM train arriving at 5.00AM in Hanoi & our tickets would be at the train station. There was no such train and it transpired that we were booked on the 9.00PM train to arrive in Hanoi at 5.15AM (so the ticket agent told us). The train didn't actually arrive in Hanoi until 6.40AM.
4. No transfer to the hotel was at the train station for us when we arrived and we had to make our own way costing us yet again. When we got to the hotel they tried to appear all friendly again and added further insult by asking again what time our flight was!!!!!!!!

As a result of the train fiasco and the dishonest staff members at Golden Wings, we missed our airport transfers and the hotel refused to reimburse us for this cost... We were caused a great deal of stress as we barely made the flight.

On a side note to our experience, they initially quoted us US$20 per person for Airport Transfer and eventually reduced this to US$12 per person. However, we spotted on the Lonely Planet that an Airport Shuttle run by Vietnam Airlines cost US$2 per person and went hourly from the City Centre.

We also observed another poor couple getting harassed by the staff one morning at breakfast. They had just arrived on an overnight flight and were escorted to the breakfast room being told that their room would not be ready for another 30 mins even though we had overheard the receptionist tell another staff member that all vacant rooms had been cleaned!! The couple were bombarded with a sales pitch from another staff member for at least 30 mins offering tours to Sapa, Halong Bay, the Perfume Pagoda and an Open Bus ticket. All prices quoted were far in excess of what we’d paid with other operators. We tried to interrupt to advise the couple but the staff barked at us and ushered us out of the room.

If you do decide to stay here (WHICH I WOULD NOT ADVISE), you should avoid getting any tours from this hotel and avoid the guy we dealt with at all costs. We are unsure of his name as he kept changing it but he was the main English Speaking Staff member, very well dressed – Always in a suit and shirt and very slim…

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mamager, Manager at Golden Wings Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Value Customer,
Thank you very much for your stay at our hotel and your review feedback.
I am sorry for troubles you got in your trip due to holiday reasons and my staff`s fault which I have known until you tell story.
I would like to tell you some truths here, from your case, so that you can have a general look for all story.

1, The time you traveled in Vietnam is Independent National Holiday, the cost for everything raised up while the quality was not improved. I myself also got a lot of troubles during holiday trip with family due to National Holiday.

2, We usually offer guests 3 kinds of tours (standard class, superior class, deluxe class) corresponding different price for each type. As we often tell to our customers “Cheap is not good”, they use our service and trust that they are being cared as our family. The price $140 for Sapa tour which you established at first is superior tour class. You can book tour from other agents on street with price cheaper but you cannot ensure the quality of tour such as meal, accommodation, tour guide, etc. The price maybe under standard tour and they will have no responsibility to you if there any problems cause during your tour then after the trip, you can get more stress than.

3, The train ticket had to be booked early because the demand of traveling on holiday days particularly increases. If you did not booked/ ordered early, you would miss the chance to visit Sapa. Therefore, the guide might be afraid that the train ticket will not available for you when you reconfirm to him, he decided to book train ticket for you by himself. He had an unprofessional action that caused you uncomfortable. I am sure that he has learnt a lesson after this.

4, About train carriage, the ticket is for cabin 4 soft sleepers, having A/C, first floor and second floor so you will share 2 sleepers with other people maybe local people or tourists. This arrangement is made by the train station, we cannot control it. We can only ensure that you have soft sleeper cabin with A/C. Because there are only few trains on route from Hanoi to Lao Cai and return so both tourists and local people will share in one train.

5, I had tried my best to change train ticket for you so that you could return earlier from Lao Cai and had enough time to catch your flight. Your original train departs Lao Cai at 9.30pm and will arrive to Hanoi at 6.00 am. I tried to change the earlier train for you. At first, they did not allow me change train ticket for you. After that they changed their mind and changed to earlier train (depart Lao Cai 8.30pm to Hanoi at 5.15 am SP4 ) Train time SP4 , with a charge of $10/ ticket. Because the urgent situation, I made agreement with them so that you could leave Lao Cai earlier. I did not inform you about it because this was my staff`s fault. Unfortunately, the train had to delay 30 minutes later because holiday reasons which I could not control. I really regretted about it, I could not do anything to help you leave earlier. I can assert that if you book Sapa trip from other agent on street and have problem with train ticket, they will not help you change to earlier train.

6, At the level of standard tour (cheap price) the transfer service from hotel to train station and return is not included. This is the reason why on the day you return from Sapa, there is no body come to transfer you to hotel from train station. But in some urgent case, we are pleased to pick up guests from train station. My staff was not clever enough to handle your worry that caused your stress.

Moreover, I would like to explain to you about transfer airport price from airport to hotel. The fare $20 from airport to hotel and $15 is the fare for departure from hotel to airport is the cost for a car (4 seats car which can take 2 – 3 people). The car is hotel private car for safe and good quality. The fare based on the kind of car, not based on each person. You can take taxi from airport but there are a lot of cheat taxi there. They can agree with you the cost of $12 for transfer. However, after that they can transfer you to another hotel and tell lie that your hotel you booked is full or has any problem. They also can cheat you because they know that foreigners don’t know well about VND value. At first, they agree cost of transfer $12 then when you arrive, they will tell that they only accept VND, and the amount of VND you pay much higher than $12.
You can take shuttle bus by Vietnam Airline but it takes time and you have to pay for taxi to go from the Old Quarter to Bus Stop.

We often provide customers useful information for their trip in Vietnam. If guests arrive early and room is not available, we will offer them welcome drink and wait 30 minutes for cleaning room. If the room available at the time they arrive, we will help you check in early no charging to take relaxes and have conversation with them later. We always tried best to bring guests comfortable and hospitality as family.

Many thanks & Best regards.
Manager.
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Mixed feelings about this place. The location is really good, that's a big plus. On our first stay we unintentionally bargained a room for $ 15 a night and the room we got was really good, it wasn't until our second stay that we realised that we had had an upgrade the first time around. The good rooms have a window (or a balcony if you're lucky), a cosy interior and a nice bathroom. It's all quite chic really for what you pay. On our second stay we had a room that only had a fan to leave some air in (no window) and the bathroom was very awkwardly situated in a bending staircase. We were a bit unlucky with the fact that the power was switched off that night after midnight for maintenance. In our case it meant the room turned into a pitch black sauna with no natural light coming in or fresh air. This wasn't the hotel's fault, but it would have been nice if they had offered us another room for the night. There were rooms with windows available and free. So: nice hotel, but only for the more expensive $ 25-30 rooms.

• Stayed July 2012