“Great place on the side of the West Lake”
Review of Don's Bistro

Don's Bistro
Ranked #220 of 2,418 Restaurants in Hanoi
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene, Scenic view
Description: Awarded The Best Restaurant in Vietnam and number 47 of The 50 Best Restaurants in Asia by Diners Club and San Pellegrino, it is a Iconic dining and entertainment destination with a faithful local and international clientele so reservations are recommended. Prices range from mid to high but are great value for the exceptional level of quality. On West Lake (Tay Ho) with beautiful views, fresh breezes, don's Bistro is a comfortable and welcoming fusion of western and Asian décor and flavors featuring a classic yet contemporary International menu of comfort and fine dining dishes from jet fresh oysters to wood fired gourmet pizzas, prime wood grilled meats, Foie Gras, pasta & risottos, delicious Asian choices, vivacious cocktails & a passion for wines, Cuban cigars, and stunning art works. For reservation please advise if you prefer Al Fresco Terrace seating, Smoking or non smoking air con dining rooms or the roof top open air covered Oyster Bar with live music drinks only or dining ok.
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Came to Don's the first time while I was walking around the west lake and heard some Jazz music coming from the terras on the last floor, and came there quite a lot after that while staying in Hanoi.

The place is very nice and clean, with a great view on the west lake, little terras on each floor and nice in door seating, bug terras on the top floor with Live music concerts.
Food is really good and prices are correct, with a good choice of wines thanks to the knowledge of Don himself.
If you pass by Hanoi go and have a drink or eat a bit at Don's, one true place of Hanoi's cool nightlife, and say hi to Don for me!

1  Thank Jimmacfly

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Eating at this lovely bistro proved to be one of the highlights of 5 years of touring Asia. The set menu was excellent and for mine the US steak with mushroom followed by sorbet was hard to beat. The following though exemplifies the customer service that others should aspire to. After leaving the bar & returning to my hotel I discovered I had left my hat behind. After ringing Don, he quickly went into action & eventually tracked down the taxi that took us back. He then organised for the hat to be held at his restaurant for me to be picked up. He would not accept a cent as compensation. Now THAT is customer service.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

We had international guests who wanted to host us somewhere special and so we chose Don's Bistro with the lovely view over the lake and local decor giving a special ambience. We also liked that there is variety in the menu, especially as one of our party was a teenager and at least one other vegetarian. I liked the fact there were international as well as Vietnamese cuisine on the menu, and everyone had very different dishes which they all enjoyed. My Artist's Salad, with fresh vegetables from Dalat, was really spectacular, one of the best salads I have ever had in a restaurant, beautifully presented and really interesting flavours. We weren't sure of what to order for dessert so the waitress offered us a fresh fruit plate, and this was also beautifully presented. Good service, not too obtrusive which can be annoying when wait staff don't have enough to do, but we all got our meals at the same time, which in my book should just be the standard. Food wasn't too expensive; the drinks were much more expensive though and I personally didn't like the choice of wine by glass, but this was minor as overall a good evening that was enjoyed by all. Recommended

Reviewed August 12, 2014

I loved the food. The Vietnamese Fresh spring rolls were awesome and full of flavour. The beef mince with lemongrass and bamboo flower salad was amazingly appetising and super tasty.

Service was good and very attentive.

Highly recommend this place

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The view is fabulous from the second floor dining room.
The menu is far too extensive for the number of diners - we were one of 3 tables and the menu stretches on for pages and pages - there is no way they have all of those options fresh from the market. They must serve predominantly pre-prepared frozen dishes.

Steak - gristly
grilled beef on banana flower salad - beef was cold and gristly

drinks: our cocktails arrived after our starters and we were only 1 of 3 tables. The waitress confessed that she forgot to put our order in.

I hate to be a picky expat but once a restaurant advertises itself as working to an International standard then the service should reflect that. I don't care about the napkin being placed dramatically in my lap - the servers should just put the orders in correctly and bring the food in the correct sequence.

1  Thank WorldTravelMom
Gastro-surfing, Owner at Don's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Mrs WorldTravelMom,
I am sorry the service and beef were not to you liking, on your next visit allow me to offer you a complimentary round to make up for the disappointment, should you wish to return I would welcome you, my number is 0913001359. By The way the dish you had Lemongrass Grilled Beef on Banana Blossom Salad, the beef is USDA Choice chuck from the neck and served as a $9.47 authentic Vietnamese salad which is chilled by nature and the meat has more of a traditional chewiness that Vietnamese prefer. It is not a steak, our steaks are chilled top quality but are obviously much more expensive. Our menu is very extensive based on my travels and what I wish to please people with and we get many guest comments on it very favorably. It is also bilingual and that make it look twice as big, but my Vietnamese guests really appreciate that too. We are fortunate to have a huge culinary team of 35 and huge walkin coolers to ensure everything prepared is beautifully fresh. You assumptions about serving predominately frozen prepared food is sorry, quite mistaken. best regards donald