“WARNING read before booking”

VietThanh Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #529 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Berkeley, California
“WARNING read before booking”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Hi everyone before booking please read this.
Me and my wife was here as part of our honey moon, and since chances for getting scammed is pretty high in Hanoi we went to Thaison Hotel because of the good reviews. For peace of mind we bought all our north Vietnam trips at the Hotel it was more expensive but we thought we at least would get what we paid for…..
We were wrong, we bought trips to Halong (2 night’s Deluxe cabin on deluxe boat) when we got there all the people had paid for deluxe cabin and there were only 2 of the…. The boat was full of roaches and the trip we had paid for was cancelled.
Next were Sapa were they downgraded our hotel so we had no aircon (its really humid so nothing dried) and the room was moldy which my wife have a low tolerance for.
Last we had the trip to 3 Caves and some cycling but the caves were closed so not much to se….
At all of these events we called the hotel and they said we could talk to the manager when we got back and so on that never happened obviously and no refunds were given.
We meet a lot of people in the same mess as us while staying there and if you don’t like screaming at them there is not much you can do.
As a side not we saw 3 rats in the kitchen while there and service 24h means that the staff turns of the lights and goes to bed in lobby while cramming their motorbikes in the dining room.
So for short do not stay here they are crooks and cheats and will trick you out of your money and worse your vacation!
/ Anders

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anders_Falk

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed January 9, 2011

to make a very long story short, without the owner he himself makes up for all the terrible impression his staffs made on me, i would rate the hotel as "terrible" without any doubt. The owner is really nice and try to be helpful in every way, but, the poor guy told me he is running 11 hotels, and is pretty frustrated by the incompetence of his staffs, so...i rate the hotel to be "average" only because of him.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank conniejjh
Brisbane
Reviewed December 29, 2010

What can I say? The staff made our stay memorable. A big thankyou to Ly & Mien for the paper cranes they made for our 2 girls and beautiful smiles each morning! Nothing was too much trouble for all the staff and we have no hesitation recommending this hotel.
We stayed for 4 nights in a family room which consisted of 2 queen beds which, by Vietnam standards, were quite comfortable! The room was spacious and clean with a large plasma tv, bar fridge, air con & ensuite. We had no issues with traffic noise as we were on the 7th floor. Breakfast was a variety of western & local dishes with plenty of options to choose from. We also had access to free internet which was great.
The hotel is 2 blocks from Hoen Kiem Lake and walking distance to many attractions. If you need to travel further, taxis are cheap & plentiful.
We will return!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Right from the minute you walk into this hotel, the staff go out of their way to make sure your stay in Hanoi is great. The rooms are nicely laid out with everything you really need. The hotel is in the old city with many restaurants and sites within easy walking distance. The lake is a five minute walk. It's a nice oasis from Hanoi's crazy traffic.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I was encouraged to book this hotel as the "excellent" reviews far outweighed any negativity. After my stay, I really can't fathom how this hotel has managed to attract such positive feedback and I am inclined to think, like another reviewer, that maybe the reviews are not genuine. I booked two nights here through Agoda - obviously a mistake. We arrived right on time (as we had booked a car with the hotel to pick us up from the airport - US$17). When we arrived we were spun a line about how a guest had got sick and had been unable to leave the hotel and therefore our room was not available. I expect the real story was that they had a walk-in and sold our room and because we had pre-paid they knew we would not go elsewhere. This sick guest is a common ruse used in the hospitality industry. The staff were "apologetic" but they did not seem at all sincere in their apologies. We were put in a room on the ground floor which we noticed (the following day) was used by the night staff. The room was right next to the lift and reception desk. The door to this room opened right out onto the space in front of the lift. When we opened the door to find people standing there they would be startled and we felt like we had absolutely no privacy. Worst of all, the room had NO WINDOW and was like the inside of a shipping container. The room had not been prepared and the towels had obviously been used. The shower in the bathroom was not in a recess. Therefore,when you showered the water went all over the toilet and the vanity basin and so you couldn't even leave toilet paper (let alone anything else) in the bathroom if you didn't want it to get wet. To make matters worse, the drain was blocked and so when showering the bathroom filled with water. As the room was poorly ventilated it had a dank smell. In normal circumstances, I would have expected that the staff would have gone somewhat out of their way to make up for this appalling situation but, as I said, even their apologies lacked any sense of sincerity. I got the impression that as we had prepaid through Agoda and because I had pre-arranged all our tours and did not want to book through the hotel that they just couldn't be bothered with us. On the second day we were moved to a room on Level 5 which was adequate but my opinion of this hotel had already been tainted by the previous day's experiences. The location in the old quarter is indeed excellent. The breakfast was OK but I have had better. In fact the 2-star Saigon Mini Hotel where we stayed in Saigon before flying to Hanoi was far more superior that the Thaison hotel. I would NEVER stay here again and I would join another reviewer in urging caution before booking this hotel. Perhaps we were just unlucky but I too have reservations about all the great reviews.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shoalplan486

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Great place to stay at! Just 5 min. on foot to Hanoi Downtown and Old District. Absolutely worth paying the price. Hotel staff - helpful, nice and proefessional.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I can't honestly recommend this hotel. I felt that the staff were rather unfriendly and had a sneering and casual attitude to their guests. On a particularly hot and humid morning they opened the breakfast room doors to the outside and sat with the fans on themselves while guests sweltered in the heat.
My room was dirty with a big stain on the floor which was not swept at all during my stay of 6 days. The room was only cleaned if I requested it and then I returned to the room to find it unlocked.
I don't recommend booking taxis through the hotel as they agreed a price with the driver that amounted to twice the price that was visible on the meter.
The rooms were noisy as it is located close to a main city highway and I was woken on a couple of nights by exuberant drivers.
The hotel is reasonably located with only a 10-15 minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and the old quarter. The buffet breakfast was quite pleasant. But for the price I would definitely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends