“Home away from home”

Splendid Star Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I am living in Thai Nguyen, north of Hanoi, and come to Hanoi every fortnight to experience the hustle and bustle of the city. I normally stay at the same hotel on Ma May but decided that I would try out a new hotel for a change near the cathedral. Best decision I made. I love this hotel.

The location is fantastic. The cathedral is peaceful and beautiful and it is a very short walk into the heart of the old quarter and Ho Kiem lake. The hotel is on a quiet street just next to the cathedral away from the crazy traffic and motorbikes which makes it even more appealing. The breakfast was delicious and the room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was really comfy (believe you me ...this matters when you sleep on a hard mattress every night)...I had the best night sleep. I had read the previous comments on this site about Martin and the other delightful staff and was intrigued. I was not disappointed. The people in vietnam are friendly and very generous anyway but Martin went out of his way to make you feel special and always ask how you were or if you needed anything. I was travelling with a heavy case and when I checked out he gave me a lift on his motorbike and went and fetched my bag separately. He did not have to do this but clearly goes out of his way to help you. He is very sweet.

I will definitely come back here when I next return and recommend this place to my friends when they come and visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Annie M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,238)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I have just stayed here, there are a lot of hotels fighting for the business. I would happily recommend the Splendid Star Grand. As previous reviews, it's down a little side street, so taxis would drop us at the Cathedral, 2 minutes walk away. The staff would help with bags, so don't worry. They organised a private city tour for us both - $150 all in, a full day with entries, lunch and a guide. We had Mai who was fantastic - her English was great. She showed us things you wouldn't get to see on a bus tour. If you can afford the little extra, then do so and get a private tour, email the staff here to organise, I got their email from their website. They offered to arrange our Halong Bay tour too, but there were so many choices, we did this ourselves.
They will arrange taxis for you and your transfer to/from hotel. We used a company via our tour operator, there was a small problem and they helped to resolve it straight away for me.
They do laundry at $2 a kilo- you can get it cheaper but only fractionally and it was very easy. Room service prices are good too, but there was a fridge in room. Safe too.
The hotels and operators take US Dollars, but the shops and street vendors take the Dong, so you will need all Dong or a mix.
The hotel give you on arrival a little map and a list of recommended places- this was great, helped us out loads- the busy streets are a bit daunting at first. We used the Green Mango and POWO cafe - would recommend both.
If you can go for the room level above basic, which is what we had - room was great, bathroom a little rough round edges and window didn't close- they had security bars up but it went against the air conditioning of which we had our own unit in the room - with remote control.
We did a Visa on arrival -this was no problem. Tip, if booking a trip to Halong Bay which I would recommend, majority of operators will organise your visa on arrival free, we didn't know this. Halong is a 3 1/2 hr drive but would say 'do it' it's just beautiful, a 1 night trip was good enough to experience it, we left all our bits at the hotel, a bit pricey- paying for 2 rooms for 1 night, but the ease of this was great, took a lot of stress out of it.
Their breakfasts were great- one of best we experienced in Vietnam.
Watch our for bugs- I was bitten quite a few times, husband too, but I reacted in blisters! Not sure our bug blaster could compete against open window.
Great hotel, good location at reasonable cost.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chuffie_echo
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great location, great rooms, great service, but most of all: AMAZING staff, always helpful! They helped us to plan our trip to Halong Bay, helped us with getting around the city and made us just a very pleaseant time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

While I don't suggest that this hotel is five star in terms of amenities, it deserves five stars for the service and accommodation provided at very reasonable prices. The location is excellent - central yet on a quiet lane ensuring a good sleep. The staff are amazing - very helpful and friendly and Martin is a real character. The rooms are clean and comfortable. For the price we paid, we felt it was an absolute steal. It was the cheapest place we stayed in 3 weeks in Vietnam but we were very happy with our choice.

1  Thank COL333
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I found the Splendid Star grand hotel very clean, the staff very friendly, and the location was great, good walking distance to all the main attractions in Hanoi.
it was tucked down a narrow, street, so had a 1minute walk, from where the taxi could drop you off, but being off the car section made it quieter.
Some great cafes to eat in close by, as well as a great massage place two doors down.
the cathedral is close by, so the bells did walk me up one morning, but other than that it was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Neenlovestotravel
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What can I say....we were very tired after night train from Sapa. Martin gave us a room to crash/go to shower even though it was very early. When the real check-in time came, he provided us a Honeymoon Suite upgrade! which was totally awesome room. Round big bed with flowers on it, balcony, very clean, fast internet, our own jacuzzi, great tv channels. I was so happy with our stay and the friendly service that I would recommend this hotel to everyone looking for a great but still cheap stay. I've been to couple of hostels in Hanoi and this was definedly the best experience.

1  Thank h4b4nero
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went to Hanoi with my dear in May'13. I choose this hotel through airasia to go program. I have been read and compare few hotels, I am glad that I was make the right decision:)
We reached at hotel before the check in time, but the staff was so friendly and served us the welcome drink and fruits. And they knew we were tired, then upgraded us the room and arranged us check in to the room.
The room is clean and comfortable. We have 2 queen size beds, the room is equipped with desktop and free wifi. Room is big with small balcony is face to St Joseph Catheral Church.
Most of the Vietnamese are don't know to speak English and luckily our hotel staff can speak well in English. And I have learn Vietnam words from them too.
The location is great. We can reach most of the tourist places by walking distance.
I love the breakfast too. They served with set meal with juices or hot drink.
I love the Staff, Service, Room and everything there!!!! Definately, I will be back again:)