“An average hotel”

Ranked #88 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Houston
“An average hotel”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

The receptionist at the check in was not very courteous as I had expected for this 5 star hotel. As a Starwood Preferred guest I expected it to be treated way better. As I was checking in, we ran into some problem with my credit card when they ran the deposit. Even though my booking was prepaid as required when I made the booking at the hotel website, they still insisted that I had to have a deposit. I explained to them that there may be some errors with the bank card processing, and I will later to ATM machine to make withdrawal so i can make the cash deposit, they still insisted on keeping my passport. That was very embarrassing for me, a frequent guest. They could have offered me to go to my room first since I just got there from a very long and tiring trip in Northern Vietnam and would resolve the deposit issue later. The room decoration was ok but the stay was not relaxing at all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear “Nathantran”,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of The Sheraton Hanoi. Your comments are valued and appreciated. I have looked into what happened during your stay and I am sorry that we were unable to live up to your expectations. The hotel policy is to have a deposit for the room night and miscellaneous charges that may occur during a guests stay. The way that this incident was handled should have been done in a way that reduced stress and embarrassment. I have personally had a discussion with front office to ensure that we handle these issues in a way that reduces the impact to guests. Front office is an important aspect of the whole guest experience and I am sorry to have let you down. If your travel schedule ever brings you back to Hanoi again, my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back and to restore your faith in the Sheraton Hanoi.

Warm Regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great hotel as compared with the surroundings & the town. $20USD extra for a great breakfast with an internet package was a good deal. NO robe in the room. Cool(50+C) this time, had to get a space heater put in the room for lack of heat. A short cab ride or a very long walk into town. Night cabbie tried to rip me off coming back to hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Dear “CaptErnie”,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hanoi. We are glad that you think the hotel is great compared to the other hotels in Hanoi and that you enjoyed the breakfast and internet package. I believe that the hotel has a good breakfast and we have recently increased our internet speed throughout the hotel to 12Mbps. All rooms should have a robe and I apologize for this inconvenience. The room temperature is something that I acknowledge has happened and I am glad we could provide you with a space heater to ensure you were comfortable.

Some taxi drivers are unscrupulous and I am aware that this can sometimes ruin a trip. When departing the Sheraton Hanoi, we use Hanoi CP to ensure that our guests do not experience any fraudulent behavior.

I hope you will have another opportunity to come back to the Sheraton Hanoi shortly.

Warm Regards,

Tel Aviv
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This hotel is a real 5 star hotel and is in accordance with all what the Sheraton line is supposed to propose. I have received there a perfect service, all the people I turned to were willing to assist me, even if for the most complicated or bizarre request. The room was a perfect 5* class, the breakfast is amazing, the connection internet very good at the Lobby, the ambiance is warm and I really liked to stay at this hotel. This is the second time I come and hopefully not the last time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Dear “Murielz”

Thank you for taking the time to write and share this review. I value and appreciate your comments. It is kind of you to mention our service and the ability for us to accommodate all of your requests during your stay. I shared your comments with our team and they were all appreciative of your praise.
The engineering and housekeeping staff were very grateful of your kind words regarding the room as they work tirelessly to clean and maintain the hotel. The executive chef was also very happy to hear your praise about the breakfast at Oven D’or restaurant.

We are aware that internet is very important to guests. In the lobby and at the link@sheraton the internet connection is free for patrons in the hotel and is currently the fastest internet connection in a hotel in Hanoi.
I am glad to know that you like the Sheraton Hanoi and that we were able to live up to your expectations.

I hope that we can welcome you back at the Sheraton Hanoi again for your future visits.

Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 24, 2010

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in that was meant to be 5 star, but it felt more like a 3 star hotel which I stayed in as a teenager. The staff were unfriendly, did not speak English well and really did not try, were VERY unhelpful, our rooms were not clean, food was ok, running pirated version of Windows.

In contrast to another 5 star hotel that I am staying in right now in Nga Trang, I am just enoying my stay here in Nga Trang so much better. I changed my hotel stay in Nga Trang as a result to my stay in this Sheraton in Hanoi.

I will never recommend the Sheraton and nor will I ever stay at the Sheraton in future. The worst hotel and as this was a family holiday we were so much looking forward to, just arrived from Sydney - LONG flight, and be greeted by inadequate and rude staff.

Your staff need customer service training, your rooms should be more clean and be more helpful!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Reisio
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear "Reisio",

Thank you for taking the time to write and post these comments on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience at the Sheraton Hanoi. I am never proud to know that we let a guest down, but I do value your feedback. I have shared your comments with the hotel team at our daily briefing.

I understand that we cannot turn back time and there is little we can do now to make up for your disappointment. I personally remain at your disposal to make this right, and I sincerely hope you will contact me paul.tsuji@sheraton.com or alternatively I can call or email if you are kind enough to provide me with your contact details.

Regards,
huntington beach
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel on 11/23 to 11/27/10. We were tired coming from HongKong because it was flooded with pool of people. But this hotel service, cleanliness and location made everything worth while. Their staff was well trained with excellent service. Their food was superb compated to the Four Seasons in Sherwood, CA (last time we stayed there was 06/10).
Their room was so clean, we upgraded to the Ambassador suite and it was so beautiful. We loved it there and will come back next time. This was our 2nd stay with them but we felt more at home this time with their wam and excelent customer service. Keep it up Sheraton!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Sheraton, Hanoi's staff is their main strength. They make you so comfortable right from checkin through checkout. Room service is excellent and they won't let you down on anything you ask. Day starts with an excellent breakfast with great variety and delicacies across different cuisines.

Rooms are neat and clean, very comfortable bedding and washroom well equipped. High internet speed helps you do web conferences connecting any part of the world. Data download speed could be as good as 1 MBPS. They too have the Business Centre for you other business needs.

Travel desk takes care of your leisure activities as per your requirement. Ambience in the pub is too good and Health and Spa section has professionals serving you with gym instructions, massage to keep you in shape.

However, two points that slightly made me dissatisfied are - no wifi internet in rooms (but its available in lobby). Other one being - the dining area is right in front of entrance. When you enter the hotel you could smell the food (especially sea food, which I dont like much). But if you can get over it then its an excellent invite to satisfy your appetite.

Location of the Hotel is closer to the airport however keeps you a bit away from the proper city that makes you commute approx 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic.

Overall its a great place to be - for business trip, leisure and pleasure. I love going there again and again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Dear "PVBANGERA"

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We were very happy to read your comments regarding breakfast and inroom dining. The kitchen team have been working on ways to improve and this is great positive feedback. We note your comments about wifi in the guest rooms and are hoping to have this available before the end of 2011 and the bed you like is the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and I believe it to be a very comfortable bed. Overall I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Sheraton Hanoi in the future.

Warm regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Stayed 8 nights and then our last night upon returning from Cat Ba and Sapa. They kept our large bag for us while we went to Cat Ba and Sapa and had our room ready at5 am on our return which was most appreciated. During our stay here we were treated with the best in hospitality, nothing was a problem. The staff are exceptional, we had a couple of favorites of course who made you feel like a true VIP. Buffet breakfast outstanding as was all the food and reasonably priced for what it was. We had a special package deal but were treated no different then the people paying top price. I would spend the extra to stay here again.The management are doing a great job.It is a bit out of the way but we walked to the old quarter most days and they have a free shuttle bus available as well .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear "fitnfifty"

Thank you for spending the time to write this review. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your warm words, it is very much appreciated from myself and all of the team here at the hotel.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to the Sheraton Hanoi.

With Warm regards