“Great hotel!”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #86 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Nice classic hotel with good bed (the best)! Big bathroom with seperate shower and bath. Breakfast was also good. Big swimming with service and a nightbar (was not so super but better than nothing). We did not like Hanoi (you must have seen it) but the Sheraton made our stay super!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NataschaR

Reviewed October 25, 2009

A very typical Sheraton, they all look the same. We arrived late and got 2 connecting rooms. One was an upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite on a Club Floor. Ordered room service for kids and later ourselves and was brought quickly by a very nice and friendly staff member. Beds are very good, rooms are spacious, separate shower / bath, everything is there. Hotel was very busy, a lot of conferences, business, etc. it doesn't really have a cosy feel but it was only for one night and all facilities are there. Pool is a little dated, but comfortable in a garden setting. Large gym and separate changing rooms which could use a good clean, towels everywhere, hairs on the ground, filthy towels in front of the shower floor, and 2 staff members just sitting there. While all other staff was extremely helpful, they looked out of place. Fantastic large breakfast buffet with everything you can expect, was included in our rate. Had one small issue. We had booked a rate which included a 4 pm late check-out, but when we arrived they told me that was impossible because hotel was fully booked. I replied, I didn't imagine all rooms were taken by 4 pm since many people are arriving late (especially on Sundays), so I was hoping at least 1 room would be available until 4 pm. Turned out they had allocated our rooms to people arriving at 1.00/1.30 pm. Told them I found that a little weird considering our rate, why not allocated our rooms to somebody arriving later in afternoon / early evening and meet all requirements. Our flight wasn't leaving til 8 and we wouldn't be home until midnight with 3 young children. Came back the next morning and they didn't know anything about a 4 pm check out, had to show them the confirmation and in the end we could keep one room until 3 pm. Logistically things could have been better. Concierge was very helpful, got us a nice limo for a taxi rate.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank 1andTwins
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We've stayed at the Sheraton Hanoi a few times, mainly when my hubby is attending a conference held at the hotel itself. Having stayed at other Sheratons, I am afraid that the Sheraton Hanoi misses the mark when it comes to service from the reception desk.

To be fair, most at the reception desk are helpful. For instance, when we told Hoang (I think that's how his name is spelt) that the bed was just too soft for us (I have a bad back) he sought to "find a solution". Housekeeping was prompt in coming to our room to install a bed board. After the bed board was placed underneath the mattress, we still found it too soft, and we decided to turn the mattress ourselves rather than bothering them again. After that it was fine.

Reception was also helpful with the little nitty gritties like getting a map, which was given promptly upon request but without a smile.

We had a problem on checkout - a problem we had encountered at an earlier visit. For some reason, somewhere between reservation and reception, Sheraton Hanoi seems to transform a two-person booking to one.

On this visit, we had booked the room for two but they kept insisting it was for one. On an earlier visit about four years ago, we had the same problem and they had to call the travel agent to confirm that it was for two - not one as in their records. On this visit, it got further complicated because the person attending us, Effendi, who was unsmiling and almost surly throughout our interaction decided that the operation was too complex for him and passed us to another reception staff to whom we had to explain the whole thing all over again.

On a bright note, we loved our housekeeping staff who did a good job cleaning the room and tidying up our flotsam and jetsam each day. Even when we were in the room, they did their work efficiently and non-intrusively, but with a lovely smile and cheerfulness sorely lacking at reception. When I bumped into the housekeeper and complimented her staff, she asked me for my room no and immediately addressed me by my name. Again reception can learn something from housekeeping.

The door staff were also lovely, smiling and greeting as we re-entered the hotel, so were the boys who helped us in and out of our taxis and told the cab drivers where we were going. Another example that reception could emulate.

Gym staff were also very sweet and helpful, although the gym equipment needs updating. However, if you are just looking to burn some calories, it is adequate - it's got a couple of ellipticals, treadmills, bikes and steppers, as well as weight machines.

In all, I did enjoy my stay at the Sheraton hanoi even though spoilt by our dealings with reception on the last day. I rated the overall service three, simply because of reception. Excluding our experience with reception, I would rate it four.

The hotel is in a lovely area by Ho Tay - which is about 20 mins away from the city itself. It also has a lovely little garden.

Although not in the city centre, there are quite a few places to eat and drink within walking distance. Walk straight down the driveway - and across the hotel is Segfredo cafe - very good coffee, polite cheerful staff, and serves food. To your right are Vines restaurant, a mini-mart that stocks up pretty much everything a tourist/expat would consider important, and a French-style bakery/deli that serves food including a rather nice chacuterie platter.

Turn left from the hotel and walk along the lakeside. At the end of the walkway, if you turn left you'll get to Don's (which is directly opposite across the lake from the hotel) which has good food. Don was the chef of the Vines and just started this restaurant this month (Oct 2009). Food is fantastic (servings are enormous), service is great and the view of the lake is amazing. Turn right at the end of the lakeside walk, and almost immediately left to get to the main street (avoiding six million honking motorcyclists and motorists), continue walking another five mins or so and you''ll come to Syrena mall which has on the ground floor a highland coffee (good coffee, average food but cheap), a Japanese restaurant and a gourmet food shop called Annam, and on the second storey a supermarket.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank youarehere
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I recently stayed at Sheraton Hanoi and my experience was wonderful. It is about 30 minutes from the international airport and located besides the West Lake (the biggest lake in Hanoi, as one hotel staff told me).
Very friendly and helpful staff and I must say that I love the uniform, very unique and attractive. Service was second to none, cuisine was delicious and decor was lovely. As a businessman, I have experienced many world-class hotels and can truly say that Sheraton Hanoi is truly exceptional.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Jimmy_Tan
Matteve, General Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2009

Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for posting your excellent review on Sheraton Hanoi Hotel.

We are very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at Sheraton Hanoi and our services meet your expectations. It is important for us to share your review with our associates to make them aware their services have been recognized by our guests and your words will certainly inspire them. Our entire team would like to say thank you and we look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should there be anything we can assist you with in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 20, 2009

Stayed here for 3 days thru a tour group. The room had a great view of the lake and a huge bathroom and comfortable beds. Staff were friendly but more reserved as compaired to HCM City. Quiet area and close to the flower market. The one negative point is the fitness center. It is difficult to get to from your room ( go to 4th floor, exit to the exterior, pass the tennis court, go inside another lobby area and take the elevator back dowm to the first floor!) Free business center. Overall, a good hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is the most comfortable hotel that have ever been with the top of the pretty choice for travelers as well as business man.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Rose1411
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I chose this Hotel due to the brand name. Never again! The restaurant food was good, but room service food was very ordinary. On the plus side,the staff were all attentive. I hate sitting on the toilet, staring at mouldy grout. Arrrg! Bland and forgettable. Last time in Hanoi I stayed at the Metropole. I called in to have a look , and it was the worst thing I could have done. It was like checking out a menu at Maxims, then going back to dine at a tired old McDonalds. When in Hanoi, chose the Metropole.

• Stayed: August 2009