“No Free Internet + Expensive Breakfast”

Ranked #86 of 596 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The rooms were clean and there was a nice pool (two city blocks away within the hotel) but this is just not a good value--they make you pay for internet and room service at New York prices. IN fact, everything is New York prices.When I went down to receptionist to ask for a water, they charged me $2.50 for a bottle and there was no store within two blocks of the hotel. I would suggest staying in the city of Hanoi rather than at the Sheraton which is a bit out of the way.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
tetsish, Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear "Justthetrip",
We apologize for the unpleasant experience you encountered during your stay with us. We could have better managed in offering water to you. We will make amends so as to better improve. Thank you for your valuable comments.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Hanoi Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here for the middle leg of our honeymoon over Christmas and New Years.

I have to say that this is one of the worst Starwood hotels in which I have ever stayed. I had 170ish nights last year in Starwood and as a result am Platinum with an ambassador (the highest attainable status; there is one other that can only be granted to you and cannot be earned which is typically reserved for CEOs and the like). My ambassador informed the hotel ahead of time that it was our honeymoon and that we would be staying there. Upon checking in, we were not upgraded and weren't even told 'happy honeymoon.' When I mentioned it, I got an obligatory 'happy honeymoon' and nothing else. I asked about being upgraded (which I shouldn't have to ask. I know the way upgrades work and they should have done this ahead of time, even if it wasn't my honeymoon) and was told they had nothing until the next night, but it was a smoking room. Even though neither my wife nor I smoke we took the room. When I complained to my ambassador, they (meaning the Ambassador Service so by extension, corporate Starwood) told them to send us a cake and a handwritten note both to apologize and for our honeymoon. We received nothing.

The rooms were older but generally acceptable. The breakfast was passable but nothing exceptional. The staff seemed rather indifferent to the guests and not overly interested in our presence, let alone being helpful. Even requesting help getting a SIM card resulted in telling us to go up the street, turn right, and look for the store that sells SIMs. That was it. No store names, type of store, general distance, nothing. The staff in the club lounge was more attentive and smiled more than the regular staff.

The hotel is on West Lake, a good distance from the Old Quarter and certainly not walkable. There are some restaurants nearby that you can walk to, but not too much. There are no real sights close to the hotel so you'll have to go out for everything.

If going to Hanoi, stay elsewhere, like the Sofitel Metropole. We used points to stay at the Sheraton and knowing what I know now, I would have gladly paid $300 a night to have stayed there. That's a tough thing to say for someone like me who only stayed in two non-Starwood hotels last year out of 57 stays because I had no choice.

You get one honeymoon, just one. I assumed that because of my status we would have been taken care of here and had a great experience. The exact opposite happened. If they treated someone who they're supposed to look after and go above and beyond for so abysmally, how will they treat the average customer? I guarantee the Metropole would have treated us significantly better simply for the fact that it was our honeymoon, regardless of whether I stay at Sofitels regularly.

1  Thank seanc724
tetsish, Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear "seanc724",

Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience when you encountered during your stay with us. Being a top notch hotel in Hanoi the service was lackluster and below par standards. I have personally looked into the matter and enforced that adequate service training will be done so as to bring up the level of service to that of a Sheraton standard.

Once again I would like to sincerely apologize. We treasure your business to the Sheraton Hanoi. It is through your valuable feedback that we can correct ourselves so as to continuously excel in our service standards. Please do not judge us on this one occasion. I hope your future travels bring you back again and I will be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi. Please contact me. Sashi.kumar@sheraton.com, and I will like to meet up with you personally. I look forward to seeing you back again in the Sheraton Hanoi hotel.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The serene and peaceful location of the hotel definitely works for me. The rooms were great and room service was good. They could do some upgrading of the menu as I have stayed in both the Sheraton Hanoi and Sheraton Saigon and there room service menu is pretty similar.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
tetsish, Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear "YES_abroad",

We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your valuable feedback. It is through your feedback that we can continuously improve.
We look forward to your future visit to the Sheraton Hanoi Hotel.
Sashikumar

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed for 2weeks in this hotel and its really cozy. Staff is genuine in giving service.

Favorite part of the hotel is the lounge in 17th floor. They served quality food and they have exceptional staff. Special mentioned to Hang Bi and Linh. They made my stay! Cam on! :) (thank you!)

Housekeeping they do a great job! Gym facilities and staff is Very Good! Hemisphere Restaurant... we love the Hot pot!

In general it was excellent. More power to all of you and looking forward on my next visit!

• Stayed: January 2014
tetsish, Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear "ART0513",
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staffs in the hotel do their upmost best to give guest a warm and comfortable stay. Your comments are valuable to us so as to show the staff their hard work do not go in vain.
Thank you.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We checked into the Sheraton on 3 Jan 2014 and were welcomed by friendly and helpful staff. The lobby was spacious, well decorated and there were two ladies playing some sweet music on the Vietnamese instruments.
The rooms were well-equipped, spacious and comfortable. We had a room overlooking the garden as well as the West Lake. The ambient environment and greenery were soothing to tired travelers.
Wi-fi was active everywhere in the hotel and that made communication very convenient.
We loved the breakfast spread. There was a wide variety of eastern and western food, and not forgetting the tasty Vietnamese delicacies.
We loved the hotel and will sure be back again. And if I wish to be fussy there were just a few small complaints. There were no bath-mats in the bathrooms and that might be dangerous to old folks as the bathtubs were slippery. In room 706, the shower area was water logged and it made showering rather unpleasant.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear "SsMm M",

Thank you for your staying with the Sheraton Hanoi. We appreciate your comments on the room and will definitely look forward to improve on it. On the whole, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We checked in on Dec 22nd and were greeted by Hotel assistant manager. We were celebrating our anniversary and were upgraded to a suite with preplaced champange, orchids and fruit arrangement. The SPG recognition was outstanding as was the entire staff. We took in both a body massage and foot massage which were top notch. We ate twice in the Chimes Tapas bar which was cool. Even though it was quiet, we preferred the atmosphere over the club lounge. We had Christmas dinner at Hemispheres Steak house. They try to imitate a Ruth Chris style with steak and side dishes. I would say the 'Steak' piece of this equation needs improvement. All in all, we enjoyed our stay emmensly and are planning another trip for 2014. We will for sure stay in Sheraton as a launch point for our trip to Sapa. Well done SPG!

Dear "John J",

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. All of us here in Sheraton are passionate to providing our guests a warm and comforting feeling. We have noted down on your comment in Hemisphere restaurant and will move forward to improve.
We look forward to your next trip back to Sheraton Hanoi.

Thank you.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Sheraton Hanoi Hotel is a great 5 Star Experience overlooking West Lake. From the time you walk through the entrance and experience the smile of the staff and the ambience of the foyer area. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed. The Restaurant staff make you feel very welcome, with excellent service and one great buffet. Enjoy the experience.

Dear "Graham F",

Thank you for choosing to stay in the Sheraton Hanoi. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were able to feel the Sheraton experience.
Should your future travels bring you back to Hanoi again, we will be delighted to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi hotel. If you are travelling around to other countries, please choose to stay in a Starwood property for a great quality experience!