“Nice views from good hotel”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #84 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
“Nice views from good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Sheraton sits on West Lake so has good views (although grey weather when we were there). It's a good example of Sheraton with fair sized comfortable rooms. Free water provided every day and, although you have to pay to have internet access in the room, there is unlimited access in the lobby. Their steak restaurant is expensive which probably explains why it was empty but their breakfast buffet was great.
We upgraded so we could use the club lounge on the first night - well worth it for the unlimited drinks and snacks which were more like meals.
Would stay again except read our review of the IHG resort next door!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear “Sue G”,

Thank you for posting your review on the Sheraton Hanoi hotel. Thank you for your comments about the good views from the hotel. The rooms are 37 square metres and every room has a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed to help you relax after a long day. As the tap water is not recommended for drinking, all rooms have drinking water supplied. The internet access in the room is currently not free, but we do offer a range of packages that have the internet included in the packages. Each room also allows up to 3 devices to be connected at the same time, which covers your smart phone, tablet computer and laptop. We also have free internet in the lobby area and offer 7 computers for guest use at the link@sheraton. I am sorry to read you thought our steakhouse expensive, the quality of meat is hard to come by in Vietnam as we use only the finest grade meat from the US and Australia, but I can assure you we have some of the best steaks in Hanoi.

Thank you for upgrading your stay to the Sheraton Club. The culinary team worked with the club lounge team to ensure that the food is of high quality. The beverages we serve during the evening also help to unwind while looking at the great views of the lake.
We hope that we can look after you again on your next trip to Hanoi.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Zhenghzhou China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Brilliant, loved it. From check in to check out. Really impressed. I had read some of the reviews prior to arrival and was a bit concerned, Its not the most modern hotel but it has an elegant level of comfort.
The staff are really well trained. The room was immaculate. Service is excellent through out the hotel. Notably the exec lounge and Chimes bar.
Food great a real variety.
I am really sold on the Starwoods preferred guest package and would really recommended it.
And No I don't work for them!

Room Tip: Go for floor 17 or 18
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “SuzanneFRB”,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Hanoi. It sounds like we were really able to impress you during your recent visit! Thank you for your comments about the service, we to ensure that all of our staff are well trained as this will make the difference. The Sheraton Club lounge team always seem to do a good job and it’s great to read they are continuing to win over our guests. Congratulations on going to the new Chime bar, we have given our club lounge guests the option to either the Sheraton Club or the Chime bar to unwind. Our housekeeping team were very happy when they read your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms. They all work very hard to ensure the hotel is clean, sometimes this is not an easy thing to do in Hanoi.

Our culinary team were very proud when they read your comments about the great food and variety. I hope you managed to try the Vietnamese Pho noodles and some of the other Vietnamese delicacies.

Finally, thank you very much for being a loyal Starwood Preferred Guest, we appreciate your support and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome your back on your next visit to Hanoi.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is one of the nicest Sheraton hotels I have stayed at. Service was really good. The rooms were large and quite nice. The view of the lake from our room was beautiful. I like that they have a free shuttle that goes to downtown 3 times a day. We used it several times on our stay there. The only downside was that we didn’t find many good dining options in the area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear “Char667”,

Thank you for your kind words! It’s great to read that we could make this sort of impression. Thank you for your comments about the service at the hotel, service really does make the difference and I am glad that you thought our service was really good. Our rooms are 37 square metres and I believe a good size and the bathroom is quite large with a separate shower and bathtub. The views from the room really give you a feel for Hanoi, you have a great view of the West lake and also a view of some of the new construction that is happening in this 1000 plus year old city. Congratulations on using the hotels complimentary shuttle service, it departs 3 times a day and takes you to many of Hanoi’s tourist spots. I am a little surprised you didn’t find many good dining options around the hotel. There are actually quite a few good restaurants near the hotel, with one of them even making the 50 best restaurants in Asia list.

All of the staff really appreciate your review of the Sheraton Hanoi and hope that you enjoyed your stay in Vietnam and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I visited hanoi for the first time in my life with not great expectations from the hotel. But I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, class, service and the hotel itself. Being a Gold member of SPG, I was upgraded to a room in top floor right opposite the room in which the US president stayed. What a privilege. Lot of joints around for food and the river/lake across is beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear “Sanjaypkothari”,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Hanoi hotel. It’s great to read when we are able to exceed guests expectations. We are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, the hotel often gets foreign dignitaries staying at the hotel and I hope that you also enjoyed the view from the top floor.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to look after you again on your next visit to Hanoi.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We took the limo from the airport and we were wowed by the BMW 7 series which picked us up. It had Wifi and also cold towels and fruit to refresh ourselves with. A smooth, quiet 30-40 min journey to the hotel.

When we arrived in the late evening, we were ushered to the Executive Lounge up at the 17th and invited to enjoy the drinks and canapes while waiting for the room to be prepared. The view overlooks the peaceful Tay Ho lake and it was enchanting at night.

The room which we were given overlooks the same view from the Lounge. The living room is extremely spacious but I think this space can be better utilized. The carpets and fittings look a bit dated but it's a small issue.

Breakfast was very good and the Sunday Brunch at the Oven D'or restaurant was exceptional. It was a little less than 1 Million Dong (48USD) and hotel guests get 10 or 15% off. For that price, there were free flow of wine, spirits, great selection of sashimi, grilled meats(fantastic lamb racks) and fresh seafood, including huge oven baked lobsters! The only gripe I have are that the oysters were bland and tasteless.

Would come back here again as the location is away from the bustle of the city and yet minutes away from great eating places and bars like El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse, Don's Bistro and 88 Lounge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “ChongLip”,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Sheraton Hanoi hotel. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the limousine transfer. We are still trialing the wifi in the car so it’s good to read your positive feedback. It’s sounds like you arrived in the evening at the Sheraton club lounge, so you were able to take advantage of the canapés and drinks as soon as you arrived! The views from the club lounge are great and you truly get a feel for the city.

Thank you for your kind words about the breakfast, we realize that most guests like to eat breakfast so there was a lot of time and effort put in by the culinary team. I also believe that the Sunday brunch is great and for SPG members they are currently entitled to a 15% discount off the food cost and we do have free flow wine included in the price so you would get the discount on this as well. I am sorry to read that the oysters were not to your liking, generally oysters are best in the colder months, but this is something we will have to keep monitoring during the hotter Summer months.

We do have a variety of restaurants and bars around the hotel and from your review it sounds like you had a good time.

Again, thanks for your review and on your next visit to Hanoi please come and try the Hemisphere’s steak and seafood grill in the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

As a first time visitor to Hanoi, I chose to stay in a brand name hotel than trying out other local hotels. The location is good and the view of the lake around is spectacular. It has everything that meet the Sheraton standards except it is bit dated.

The mushy smell linger even at the lobby the moment you step in. The breakfast spread is well balanced for a standard brand hotel. The fitness room is well equipped. The individual TVs connected to each threadmill need to be serviced though. When you change channel, all the surrounding TVs changed channel too - irritating the runner next to you.

Overall a " safe" hotel for a first to visitor.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear “TaiLim”,
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor about the Sheraton Hanoi hotel. Your title is correct, the hotel is a very safe hotel. The hotel has had many foreign dignitaries stay at the Sheraton as it is convenient to not only the city centre but also the airport and industrial areas. The view is great from the hotel and gives you a feel of what Hanoi is like and the surrounding area is seen as quite relaxing and calm compared to the hustle and bustle of down town. The breakfast experience is very important to us and we do try hard to ensure that everyone enjoys their meal. The Sheraton fitness is as you have pointed out is well equipped for those keen or the pool gives you the option to unwind.

Again, thank you for your review of the Sheraton Hanoi and hope that we can look after you in on your future visits.

Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel does the big things right—spacious rooms, delicious food (although expensive), professional staff at the front desk. But it was the little things that were frustrating. For example, my reservation included free internet but when I tried to connect in my room I was asked to select a payment option. Then when I selected one (assuming that I could have the charge removed from the bill upon checkout), I was asked to give my room number to get free internet, forming an endless loop in the system. The internet page recommended calling guest services/front desk if there were problems. But when I called guest services, no one answered. It was 8:30pm and I tried repeatedly until about 10:00 when I just gave up.

The next morning I carried my laptop down to the front desk; one of the staff members tinkered a bit and got me connected to wifi. I carried the laptop to a nearby chair and started to read my email, only to lose the connection. This happened several times and finally I just gave up again.

Another example of a little item that was frustrating: The swimming pool has relatively short hours, so it was not possible to have a swim after dinner or before breakfast in the morning. For tourists the timing might be fine but for business travelers the hours were inconvenient.

People pay American prices rather than going to a Vietnamese hotel because they want international level service. I was disappointed that the Sheraton did not meet my expectations. On my next trip to Hanoi I will choose a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear “Feistygal”,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Sheraton Hanoi. I am sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Thank you for your kind remarks about the spacious rooms, delicious food and professional staff at the front desk.

I do have to admit I am aware of the internet connection procedure and we are currently working on a solution for this. I am sorry to read that guest services did not pick up your call and I have no excuses, we will have to do better. The internet connectivity is also another challenge that the hotel faces, unlike developed countries, we do have internet outages and I am sorry that this had to happen to you.

The pool is open Monday to Fridays from 6am to 10 pm and on weekends from 7am to 9pm. I apologize if there has been some confusion about the opening hours.

We do appreciate your feedback as this gives us an opportunity to improve. I do hope that you did enjoy the rest of your trip to Vietnam and hope that we will have the opportunity of seeing you again.