“Good service, dated hotel.”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #90 of 587 Hotels in Hanoi
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Good service, dated hotel.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I was hoping to take advantage of the club room benefits but didn't get a chance too. There was no welcome in the room or note from the GM like the Sheraton in HCMC. The hotel is dated but the service is good. The prices are also reasonable by booking at SPG.com

The buffet is good and the tapas bar offers reasonably priced meals. Internet is a bit spotty and slow.

Be carefully of taxi gouchers. It is recommended taking the hotel taxis. An average trip shouldn't cost more than 100,000 dong to the city. Some taxis rig the meter to charge almost 400,000 dong. You can always threaten to talk to the police or have a hotel staff member help you.

Try Bun cha, a coffee with egg and weasel coffee made from weasel poop. That's right, weasel poop (don't worry), they wash the grains well.

• Stayed March 2013
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear “whslc”

Thank you for taking the time to post this tripadvisor review and to share your comments. The service is the most important aspect in the hotel and for you to say that we did a good job is great to read. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the buffet at Oven D’or and the tapas at the Chime bar. Our culinary team work hard on the food and your words are encouraging for the team. I have to admit the internet is something we are constantly working on but can be a challenge in Hanoi.

It sounds like you had some issues with taxi’s, the hotel taxi’s are safe and metered, however coming from the city back to the hotel, there are some unscrupulous taxi drivers. Hanoi city is a large place so the cost of the taxi may vary depending on what part of the city you are coming from, but from the old quarter the cost is approx. 100,000 Vietnamese Dong. I hope that our staff were able to assist with any issue you may have had.

Congratulations on trying the “special” Vietnamese coffee. I haven’t been game enough to try it, but I here that the weasel eats the coffee and then it is picked up on the way out, cleaned and then processed to make the coffee. It certainly would make a novel gift.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Hanoi and at the Sheraton and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel was a little bit out of the main area but this was a good thing as it was peaceful and cleaner. The hotel does run a free mini bus to popular attratctions. This was the only hotel that we had a seperate shower and the bedding was good. The room also had a decent hairdryer that was not in the bathroom. Food at Breakfast was a good mix and of a high quality. Coffee in the Lounge excellent. This was a better Sheraton that my last stay and good mix of TV in the room which can be helpful if you have jet lag.

Room Tip: We were at the back overlooking the river and were upgraded.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Montgomery16”,

Thank you for spending the time to write a tripadvisor review. As you have pointed out, the hotel is not located in the middle of the old quarter and is located right next to the picturesque West Lake. The old quarter is a 10 – 15 minute taxi ride away and costs approx. U$5. Good for you for using the free shuttle bus service! The shuttle bus runs daily 3 times a day at 9am, 1 am and 6pm and stops off at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi Tower, Vincom Tower and Hoan Kiem Lake where the water puppet show is held. All of the hotel rooms have a separate shower and bathtub and it is quite a large bathroom if I do say so myself. Thank you for your comments about the bed, this is a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and is very comfortable.

Your comment about breakfast is especially pleasing. I think that breakfast is the most important meal of the day so having a wide selection of high quality items is important. The coffee is also something that I am quite happy with. The majority of the beans are Vietnam grown so it helps the local farmers out.

We hope that you enjoyed your trip to Vietnam and on your next stay, hope that we have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Sheraton Hanoi gave very presonalised service and the staff are very sincere in wanting you to genuinely enjoy your stay. There have been some enhacements since our stay 2 years ago and the rooms are now a mix of the older furniture which is in good repair and new carpets, drapes, tv's etc. Huong in the Club Lounge looked after us extremely well and the lounge offerings are better than most Sheratons.You can also choose ot have your club longue experiance in a new wine bar. The hotel is well located for morning walks around the lake, is a little closer to the airport that many others whihc makes it convenient and the gardens are well maintained. The overall experience is of a proud staff who go out of their way to help. Although there are better hotels in Hanoi they are not at this price so I ould hioghly recommend the Sheraton Hanoi in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Club Lounge is very good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RossY415
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear “Ross Y”,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. It’s great to hear that you are a repeat guest to the hotel and more importantly that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about our club lounge and associates. The club lounge staff do a terrific job and relaxing after a long day looking out over the lake and other scenery is a good way to spend the start of the evening. Congratulations on trying our new Chime bar, we are enhancing the club experience by offering the guests a choice of venue to relax and unwind. The walk around the entire lake is actually a few hours, but to get a feel for Hanoi, it’s good to have a stroll and see some of the sites.

Thank you for your great comments about our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hanoi on your next visit.

Kent
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wonderful position away from the hassle and noise took up offer of upgrade to club lounge good value and Thu (hostess) lovely lady as we're all the staff. Had a complaint concerning restaurant and it was sorted straightaway with a very sincere apology, it,s easy to be good when things are going great but it,s how you deal with complaints that sets the okay from the very good. I would stay again here without a moments hesitation

Room Tip: Go for upgrade if offered £35 a night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear SunbatheKent”,

Thank you for posting this review on tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. The hotel is located away from the honking horns and the interesting traffic. I am pleased to hear that you took up the offer to the Sheraton Club lounge, our lounge does have an excellent view over the lake and our staff do their best to ensure everyone is well looked after. I am sorry to hear that there was a complaint about a restaurant, but that our staff were able to deal with the situation in a good way.

Again, I would like to thank you for posting this review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi on your next visit.

BC, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is one of the standard Sheraton hotels with good comfy room, nicely decorated lobby, especially for the Tet New Year, a decent restaurant for breakfast, and in a quiet area. We were on a package tour, so the off centre/downtown location didn't bother us too much. There wasn't many places to visit within walking distance around the neighbourhood that are of interest, except the flower market which was active from 2-6am. But we were told that it wasn't safe to walk there at that time of the night, especially when we were not familiar with the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear “conifers”,

Thank you for spending the time to post a review on tripadvisor. Tet (Chinese New Year) is a special time in Hanoi where there is a lot family celebrations. The city centre gets very busy just before Tet with many families preparing for the family festivities. The hotel celebrates Tet not only with decorations but also by celebrating with the staff on this special time of year.

I am sorry to hear that you did not see some of the interesting things around the hotel, but hotel does have a couple of pagoda’s within walking distance and it is interesting to see some of the fisherman catching the fish around the lake. The flower markets are also interesting however as you have pointed out, they are very early in the morning.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share and post this review. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Hanoi

Hong Kong
Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are plenty of better hotels in Hanoi.

Why does an international 5 star hotel in Vietnam have just two spare electric sockets, both of which only accept UK plugs? It's ridiculous. To make it even worse, the on/off switch is in a non-standard place (at the top), so that when I plugged in my own adaptor it switched off the power. How stupid is that?

My room was also very dark (not enough lights provided), though fortunately I didn't spend much time there.

The bathroom is quite large, but the positioning of the shower next to the toilet is another minor annoyance. More than once I nearly collided with the (open) shower door. I've been in plenty of far smaller bathrooms that don't have this problem.

One more thing - the swimming pool is hidden away in an inaccessible corner of the hotel along dark corridors and you have go via the 4th floor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheProbe
Dear “TheProbe”,

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Every hotel room does have an international power board in the room for multiple devices. The power boards are located in the desk drawer and I apologise that you were unable to find the power boards.

I note your comment in regards to the lighting. Whilst I am never proud to know that we have disappointed a guest, I am always grateful for the feedback so that we can react and improve. I am grateful for your comments and apologise for your experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My family & I spent 4 days over Christmas at the Sheraton. As always we were greeted with a smile and made feel very welcome. Our granddaughter also had a special welcome from one of the head chefs . I can only review on how we were treated and on what I saw. The staff at the Sheraton have a special way of making you happy, we have never found anything to be a problem for them and all requests given with a smile even a roll of sticky tape to put up christmas decorations in our rooms for our granddaughter. Miss Mai Vu & her staff can be very proud of themselves they are the reason we always come back. Its great to see the same driver every year on the shuttle bus and he remembers you. The food is top notch. Also tried out the new tapas bar what a great place to unwind and relax no loud pumping music . As you can guess this is my special place in Hanoi and I will always return for a day or two or more when I visit Vietnam again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear “fitnfifty”,

You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review on Tripadvisor. I’m delighted that you had chosen to spend the festive season with us and that our staff were able to look after you and your family during your stay in Hanoi. Our culinary team work hard to ensure that the food is of a high standard and as you have pointed out, our service team go the extra step to ensure you had a great stay.

Thank you for trying the new “Chime bar”, it’s a good addition to the hotel and has an excellent range of tapas as well as the great thin crust pizza’s.

I would be delighted to know if you should plan a return trip to the Sheraton Hanoi. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family again.

Warm regards,