“Not up the SPG luxury standards..” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Hanoi Hotel

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #83 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Vancouver, Canada
“Not up the SPG luxury standards..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at Sheraton Hanoi for 3 nights and being a SPG platinum member, we were upgraded to a suite. We had a good view of West lake.

Pros:
The beds are very comfy and feels like heaven after a long day of touring the city.
The main lobby breakfast was great. Lots and lots of selections. From pho, to pastries, to cereals, to yogurt, to salads, to fruits etc. I want to commend the staff in helping me heat up my croissants every time.
There is a shuttle service that runs 3 times a day, I believe, to a few places in the city. The taxi ride to the city is around $6USD so still very affordable if you like flexibility.

Cons
Hotel is aging..some revamping of the hotel is seriously needed.
The club lounge breakfast was a disappointed with limited options. I've been to a few Sheraton chains where the member's lounge breakfast was at least on equal footing with the regular. Having spent all those nights at SPG hotels to achieve membership, we'd expect that if you offer member's breakfast, it should at least be decent.
Another big negative was allowing people to smoke in the lobby area.
One night our electricity tripped. We called to ask electrician to fix the problem. We waited for at least 20mins before the electricity came back on...No idea why they took so long to resolve the problem.

This hotel was more like Sheraton Four Points than Sheraton..I usually love SPG hotels but

Overall, good hotel but not luxurious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear “teresa_asa”,

Thank you for spending the time to write a review on tripadvisor. As a valued SPG Platinum member it’s good to hear that you were upgraded to a suite room. I am sorry to read your cons about the hotel. The club lounge breakfast is not as extensive as the full buffet breakfast, however we do give the option to all of our club lounge guests to eat at the full buffet restaurant. It’s great to read that you did enjoy the buffet breakfast at the Oven D’or restaurant, we do try to cater for everyone and this means quite a large diversity of food. It’s also fantastic to hear that the staff in the restaurant went the extra step to ensure you had warm croissants everyday!

I myself do not smoke and I understand your comments about the smoking in the lobby area. At this stage smoking in the lobby will continue, but we will be reviewing this regularly. I have no excuses for the electricity taking 20 minutes to be repaired, we must do better.

Glad to read that you enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, there are a few key things in the hotel and having a good night sleep is one of them. We get a few comments about the shuttle service and it is quite handy, as the shuttle service will also drop you off to some of the attractions in Hanoi. The taxi ride into the city is also not far and quite cheap.

Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Hanoi in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

After roughing it to Sapa valley and back on the night train we decided to stay at the Sheraton Hotel in Hanoi. One of the only hotels we could find that would allow a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children under 11) to stay in one room that had a swimming pool. We joined the Sherton Club where for $100 USD p/n extra we would get free wifi and access to the Club lounge on the 17th floor which was open between 5:30 and 8pm every day. The lounge provided free food and alcohol during this time which included Scotch, vodka, Baileys, Assorted beer, softdrink, Red and white wine and an arrany of food from assorted cheeses to sushi, Crab cakes, chicken strips, seared scallops and more. This was a nice treat after a long day of sight seeing around Hanoi.
We were allocated a room on the 15th floor which was spacious and extremely comfortable. the pool area is wonderful, a few tiles missing here and there but still wonderful. The gym is well equipped but my lazy gene kicked in and I didnt quite make it onto the treadmill. Instead i relaxed by the pool. The hotel is located by the west lake which is away from the hustle and bustle of the old quarter however for us$5 you can get there in under 5 minutes. I would reccommed this hotel to any family travelling struggling to find a hotel that will accommodate a family of 4 with a lovely pool to relax and unwind in. The buffet breakfast was beautiful, extensive and caters for most tastes. Highly reccommeded for families and business people as a good value quality hotel.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Club membership. Well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ingridb58
Dear “ingridb58”

Thank you for your comments and review on tripadvisor. I love Sapa and the whole train experience but like you, I also like to relax a little and unwind. Our normal rooms do not fit a family of four, but our suites are big enough to accommodate and the extra U$100 for the suite and club lounge benefits is good value.

As you have mentioned the Sheraton Hanoi is located just outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre and is quite close to the hotel. The missing tiles around the pool have now been replaced and after a long day of sightseeing, the pool is a good option. Thank you for your comments about the buffet breakfast selection in the hotel, I believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day so a good breakfast is essential.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to look after you on your next stay to Hanoi.

Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Pros:
1. More peaceful location way from the hustle and bustle. We felt relaxed returning here in the evening
2. Inexpensive taxi ride to the Old Quarter and site seeing locations (Hanoi is not that big as a tourist)
3. Friendly Staff
4. Comfortable Room and Bed
5. This turned out to be a big one: Quiet, relaxing, kid friendly pool area. My son is 6 and after a day of touring we would hit the pool for some fun. There were always other kids to play with and the area is quiet, relaxing and clean. This amenity turned out to be priceless for us.

Cons:
1. More expensive than you need to pay to stay in a nice place in Hanoi
2. It's a much older hotel which you can see in the lobby and bar area
3. Food and drink prices were a lot more expensive than the going rate
4. They allow smoking in an open area in the lobby

Overall it was a good, family friendly experience.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any upgrade offers when you check-in
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear “pdoebel”,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We also believe that the hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of the city and only a short taxi ride away to the major tourist areas. Thank you for your comments about the friendly staff, it’s great to hear they helped make your stay more enjoyable. All rooms have Sheraton Sweet sleeper beds and we realize that this is key to having a good nights sleep. I note your feedback about the price of food and drinks and thought that our prices were competitive with other 5 star hotels in the city, however I will have another look at this. I myself do not smoke so I do understand your point of view, we are looking at this issue and we may change this in the future.

Thank you for your great comment about the pool area. Summer can be very hot in Hanoi and to be able to have a swim after a long day of trekking around Hanoi is good whether you are an adult or a child. I do hope that you would be planning a return soon and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a tired hotel that needs some cosmetic works. Overall, some staff were polite and some were not (inconsistent) . Nice location with the lake around. We had a training session here and it was a mistake to have chosen this hotel. There were so many horrific incidents we encountered during the week long session due to another large event that happened during our "small event", hence lack of attention. The bar was scary - there we a lot of "lonely businessmen" looking for local girls. This hotel is a disgrace to starwood.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear “MTG010”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. I was sad to read your remarks. The staff training is important for us as our associates are a very important asset so I was disappointed to read that there were inconsistencies. This is something we will have to work on. We have reviewed your comments taken down notes in order to improve further.

In the event that your travel schedule does bring you back to Hanoi, I would be delighted if you would contact me personally – paul.tsuji@sheraton.com. My team and I would greatly value the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Warm Regards

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Typical hotel chain hotel. Tired 5 star property that could use a bit of make up. Rooms looked old but still comfortable. Bed was good. Staff polite & efficient but not really active. Location was good for us as we were on business and it was near to our local office. The lake is a really nice surrounding for walks in the morning and you are a bit out of the noise and pollution of the old quarter. Breakfast buffet was above average with countless choices and good coffees.
Drawbacks... Internet not FOC in room, they stated check-in time at 15.00h upon confirmation of booking and do not the mistake of going to the bar for a drink. Few customers, lots of suspicious men-became-women in front of the entrance. This is a disgrace for a starwood property, wonder why they allow such scenario to happen?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear “Shunima”,

Thank you for spending the time to post on tripadvisor. It is very kind of you to highlight our comfortable rooms and good bed. I agree that the location is good as the lake is a nice part of Hanoi slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, but still only a short taxi ride away. Last year we did a project to improve the coffee in the hotel and it is good to know that the teams hard work has paid off.

I am sorry, to read your comments about the bar, we are planning to renovate and will be starting in the next few months.

Thank you again for your feedback, the team and I remain at your service.

Hotel Managers
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The hotel is not bad, but in my opinion it can use an upgrade. It looks and feels a little dated compared to the other two Sheratons I stayed in while in Vietnam. The free wifi in the lobby and the Link computers are a plus. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was yummy with a wide selection to chose from. The only downside is that its a bit far from everything. Its about a 10min drive from the Old Quarters (The main city area). You can take the free hotel shuttle to Old Quarters (it departs 4times a day @ 9am, 1pm and two other times I forget) or you can take a taxi for about 60-100vnd depending on where you get off. The other option is to take the public bus that stops by the main road of hotel. I think bus # 31 takes you right to Hoan Kiem Lake for about 5000vnd (.25cents usd).

Tips: Minibus from the airport will take you to Old Quarters for 40vnd pp. From there take a taxi for about 60-80vnd (the hotel is North of the city). To catch the minibus, walk out of the airport groundlevel and make a right. Walk down and get on the minibus that is filling up (The minibus leaves once its full). The cheapest way with a small bag or backpack is take the local public bus #17 to the very last stop. From there. take a cab for 60vnd heading north on the same road you just got off on. You can get the public bus stop by walking out the 2floor of the airport and turn left. Then walk straight down the end of the ramp. Taxi is a fix rate of 380vnd.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cra8zy
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear “Cra8zy”,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay in Hanoi while staying at the Sheraton. In the lobby we have a link@sheraton and this is a great way to keep in touch with your family and friend overseas. When our team at Oven D’or restaurant read your review about the breakfast, they were all extremely happy that you enjoyed the yummy breakfast. You are very adventurous to catch the bus in Hanoi, it must have been quite interesting. I As you have noted, the hotel is approximately 10 minutes away from the old quarter area and the cost is approximately VND 100,000 roughly U$5.

We hope you enjoyed your travels and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is my second stay here and it really is a great hotel. Staff are friendly, food is fantastic and all the facilities of a 5-star hotel are present. Rate is also very good. The location is a little away from the historic downtown area, so you are not in bustling part of town. It's a 10 minute taxi ride away and only about $4 so no great hassle.

The rooms are getting a little dated, but are very clean and everything works.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear “CraigandSculli”,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review. I am very pleased to know that you stayed with us twice during your stay in Hanoi. We do have many different offers and our breakfast and internet package is always popular. Our staff is what makes the hotel. Your kitchen team were ecstatic to read your comments about the fantastic food as they work very hard to improve. As you have pointed out, the hotel is slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the old quarter, but the hotel is a great place to relax after a long day of work.

Thank you again for your time in writing and posting this review. We value your feedback.