“A haven away from the Hanoi traffic”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #87 of 593 Hotels in Hanoi
Hobart, Australia
“A haven away from the Hanoi traffic”
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Good quality hotel away from the city centre which we found an asset - no street noise and levels of traffic on the local streets that could be reasonably negotiated on foot. Breakfast buffet (the only meals we ate in the hotel) is of very good quality and range of flavours - cereals, fresh fruit, traditional western cooked and a large variety of Asian options. Service standards throughout were of a high standard and all the staff we encountered spoke good english.

The hotel is located on West Lake shore that provided a good view from our room. Lobby area has 6-7 PCs that provide free internet connection. Pool area was a little disappointing - the pool is small and the bar area has been closed. Concierge staff were very helpful and advice regarding places to eat were spot on.

Hotel sponsors or runs a small number of taxis (they carry Sheraton logos) so there was always a taxi waiting on the hotel forecourt when we wanted one. Concierge staff always asked our destination and directed drivers accordingly. We stayed 4 days and used 10-12 taxis from hotel and had no instances where we thought the driver was trying to take a longer route to boost fare - in this regard all taxi fares are extremely inexpensive.

There are a number of restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel catering to tourists - western fare rather than local and priced accordingly, but still less than the hotel restaurants. In the local area we ate at the Mandarin (walking distance) and Bobby Chinn's (a very short taxi ride) which were expensive, compared to the old quarter and other restaurants we tried, but they provided superb quality of food and service and great value by normal westen standards.

Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will stay there on our next visit to Hanoi.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear “annieandbob”,

Thank you for your kind comments about the Sheraton Hanoi. If you are not accustomed to the street noise or the traffic conditions it can be quite an experience. The hotel is located in the more peaceful West Lake area away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, but still only 10-15 minutes away by taxi. It’s good to know that there were no issues with the taxi’s. The taxi’s from the hotel are all fine and even if you are in the city trying to catch a taxi, a good rule of thumb is that any taxi with a hotel logo on it should be ok. Our concierge and bellmen are good at ensuring that our guests do not get “taken for a ride”.

The 7 computers next to the lobby lounge is the link@sheraton. We realise that not everyone will travel with a laptop, but still wants to be connected. The link@sheraton is a way for us to help people stay connected.

I am glad you liked our breakfast, we have been working on this and to get your positive feedback is very encouraging. As you have pointed out, there are a number of good restaurants around the hotel to choose from with different types of cuisine.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. Thanks again for taking the time to write and share this review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Hanoi.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel looks quite nice and grand - although I do share one other reviewer's comment about the breakfast area being in the same place more or less as the check-in - kinda strange. There's also free wifi in the lounge area that works..! Not sure why Sheraton haven't started offering free wi-fi when the Intercontinental next door already does it!

Moving on, check in was alright. I was somehow told to wait 30 minutes prior to my check in - understandable as they stated the check in time was 3pm and I came in at 9am! Was grateful to be given a room even this early so I could get some much needed rest for awhile! My room was also upgraded to a club room floor minus all the other amenities - no complaints there!

Also some other reviewers commented about how the staff often try to sell them room upgrades which includes free breakfast(what..??? it's not included????) and free internet in the room. I find this practice strange(maybe it's typical in Vietnam?) - but in most other hotels I've never encountered anything like this - but I think this might have irritated some guests who just want to check in immediately after a long flight rather than be pestered with some upsell questions. Some guests like myself, would have wanted the Internet, but not the breakfast (I plan to leave the hotel at 6.30am.. that's the time the breakfast starts too! A pity!)

Club room floors - looks nice and spacious. I got one with a city view I think - not really a deal breaker but I guess would be nice to get the lake view. Room is also clean and spacious, the bed is comfy as can be. Nice flat screen TV with some cable channels.

Location wise, this hotel is situated next to a lake. Its a nice decent lake but it is not the kind you would swim in though! Not me at least! Its also about 10-15 minutes away from the downtown -and there are decent taxis waiting near the entrance of the hotel. Very convenient!

Other than that it looks just like your typical Sheraton - its not bad and should be alright with most people with not too high expectations :)

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view probably! The city view is kinda boring. Photo of city view attached.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear “Kenpoh”

Thank you for taking the time to write and share this experience at the Sheraton Hanoi.

As you can imagine, it’s sometimes a challenge when guests arrive early, in this instance 6 hours, but I am happy to know we were able to accommodate you with only a 30 minute delay.
The room rate booked was room only, there are other packages on sale that include internet, breakfast etc. Packages do cost a little more than the room only but are much better value than if you would have to buy things individually. I take on board your comments about travelling after a long flight.

As you have pointed out, the hotel is located right next to West Lake. Some locals do go swimming and fishing in the lake, it is interesting to see how the locals live.

The hotel is located about 10-15 minutes away from the city and as you have pointed out, we do have taxi’s available right in front of the hotel.

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton for your trip to Hanoi. My team and I remain at your service.

Kind regards
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed as a package with a Ha Long bay tour. On arrival the bell hop chastised the taxi driver for trying to charge over the fixed proce fare. Check in was good. I declined the upgrade offer as we were only staying one night. Lunch was buffet style and excellent (try the flambe mango). Interesting local shops, and an excellent massage spa within walking distance. The usual WiFi etc. The lake was visible but not easy to get to.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear “GerryNZ_11”,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor for the Sheraton Hanoi. I think we all appreciate that being taken for a “ride” by a taxi driver is not a pleasant experience and it’s good to know that our staff were able to stop the taxi driver.

The culinary team are happy that you enjoyed the food on the buffet, the team are working hard on the buffet and yes, the mango flambé is good. I am a little surprised about access to the lake, if you go out the main entrance of the hotel and turn left, the lake is in front of you. There are many local attractions around the hotel and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share and post this review.

Warm Regards,

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The Sheraton Hanoi is located by the West Lake, some 15 min by taxi from the city center. This is a quiet neighborhood, where many expats and locals live.
We had booked a transfer through www.hanoiairporttransfer.com and we were glad to see the sign with our name at the airport arrival. We paid US18 (one way), which was cheaper than the hotel charges.
The hotel service is good and we didn't have any problems at check in. The room is big and bed very comfortable, with choices of pillows. The bathroom is also big, with separate bath tub and all amenities including nice good thick bath robes. There's also coffee/tea maker and complimentary daily bottle of water. The only thing that doesn't match the room/hotel standard is the big old tv and not a big flat screen tv, but that didn't matter really because we stayed the whole day out (it's more the impression that you get when coming in the room). We stayed at a high floor with good views from the lake although not staying at Club floor.
The breakfast is very good with lots of options for western and asian taste and stays open until 10:30 for those who like to sleep in.
We didn't make use of the swimming pool due to the weather/typhoon in October. There's also a beautiful garden near the pool and lake.
There's wifi in the lobby/cafe area which we made use of every night.
We didn't try the hotel restaurant, so can't say anything about it but there are some restaurants around it. We went twice for dinner at Vine Wine Boutique Bar & Cafe, which was very good though not cheap. The food is western with a few vietnamese dishes but if you want a break from asian food, this is a good place just around the corner from the hotel (walking distance).
The hotel has a shuttle bus to some sightseeing places, which we didn't make use of. Instead we used the taxis parking in front of the hotel entrance and didn't have any problems with them. The concierge helped a lot with directions and recommendations. You can get the taxi company's phone number from the concierge and be stressed free (I read and heard a lot of complains about taxi drivers from tourists).
If you want a quiet place to stay at outside the city center, this is a good choice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear “theworldismyhomeblog”

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review on tripadvisor. As you have pointed out, the hotel is located in the serene West Lake area away from the city centre by a 15 minute taxi ride. Thank you for your comments regarding the service at our hotel. The room size is 37 square metres and since your review we have now replaced all of the old TV’s with flat screen TV’s.

The kitchen team were thrilled with your comments about breakfast, many of our guests are Asian but like myself have become accustomed to Western cuisine and having a bit of both Asian and Western is beneficial for all. It sounds like you have already found a couple of good restaurants around the hotel, there are many more just waiting to be discovered.

There is free wifi in the lobby area and we are currently working on getting the whole hotel wifi as we know that a lot of guests have smart phones and tablet devices. We are looking at getting this project completed before the end of the year and are in fact testing the in-room wifi now. The hotel also has a link@sheraton where you can connect with your friends and loved ones if you didn’t bring alone your own computer.

It’s a pity you didn’t get to use the shuttle bus, it is a great way to get your bearings, but there are taxi’s always in front of the hotel and willing to take you to where ever you want to go. There are some unscrupulous taxi drivers if you are in the city, but the best way to avoid these taxi’s is to get a shop to call you a taxi rather than hop in a taxi on the street. Our concierge team know Hanoi and are great if you don’t know the exact address.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Hanoi. The team and I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is located next to Intercontinental Westlake Hanoi. Both hotels are located about 10 mins taxi ride to downtown Hanoi. So if you want a bit of peace and quiet then stay here. There's not much to do near this hotel though there are some nice restaurants.

There is a nice chinese restaurant in the hotel. The breakfast buffet is located on the lobby which I find a bit weird. You get guests checking in and out and they can see you eating. There is no wifi in the whole hotel which I think in this day and age is not acceptable.

I paid extra for the Club Floor but they managed to give me a room on the 4th Floor as that's the floor with best wifi reception. I was amazed at the condition of the room. Its dark and smell unclean. Then I noticed the pipe in the bathroom was leaking all night. So I request for a change of room which they did and moved me to the Club Floor. Some of the rooms on this floor where wifi is available.

The gym is good. Try and get higher room as you will be able to admire the view of the Westlake and the city. Bed is big and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank R L
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear “R L”,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor and for your positive comments. The hotel is not in the city centre but by the picturesque West Lake and as you have pointed out approximately a 10 minute cab ride to the old quarter.

We appreciate kind comments about Hemisphere restaurant. Hemisphere restaurant is actually Vietnamese but as some of the cuisine is very similar between Northern Vietnam and China, the restaurant can be mistaken for Chinese.

I am surprised to read that you could not connected to the wifi. The lobby area does have free wifi and there are always people in the lobby enjoying this benefit. I am sorry to read your comments about your room on the fourth floor, we know that we have work to do and I value your comments.

Great to know that you had time for a workout, I know that being on the road can sometimes make it difficult, but the fitness centre is open 24 hours for guests in the hotel and can be accessed by using your room key. I am happy that you liked the view from the hotel rooms. You get the impression of what the city is like and how it’s changing with some high rise buildings popping up between some of the more traditional buildings. All of the beds in the hotel are Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and glad to know you managed to get a good nights sleep.

Thank you again for taking the time to share these comments. I hope that we may welcome you again to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Orange County, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel was amazing. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Once they found out it was our honeymoon they started sending surprises to our room every night (bottle of sparkling wine, deserts, nice cards…)

I would recommend paying a little extra and staying on the Club level. The complementary breakfast and cocktail hour was remarkable. Cocktail hour was not only amazing drinks, but enough good food to make it our dinner.

The hotel also offers a complementary shuttle that will drop guests off and pick them up at all of the major tourist locations.

Room Tip: Get a club room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wrightkendram
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear “wrightkendram”,

You are very kind. Thank you for your warm words and for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. It is kind of you to highlight our staff. I agree that paying the extra money for the club lounge is well worth it. Our club lounge staff do a great job and work hard to ensure our guests have a great stay.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the club lounge benefits and the food. Our kitchen staff work hard to maintain the quality. There are many options to eat in the restaurants in and around the hotel, so while the club lounge food is delicious, I hope you had an opportunity to taste some of the fantastic local cuisine in and around the hotel.

It’s also great to hear that you used the complimentary shuttle service. It is a great way to see some of the local attractions in Hanoi. The shuttle departs the hotel three times a day to Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi Tower, Vincom Tower, Hoan Kiem lake in front of the water puppet show.

I hope you had a fantastic Honeymoon and we are thrilled to know we helped make your honeymoon a memorable experience. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Mumbai
Reviewed October 14, 2011

After I reach the hotel at 10am, Ms.Ding, the check in staff finishes all formalities then cons me into an upgrade for USD 50 extra, which I accept and sends me to a standard room. When I get back to cancel the upgrade, they clearly state that checkin will happen only at 2pm. I leave my baggage with the bell desk and go about my business and upon my return at 8.30pm, I am told that I have to go through the check in process one more time. After repeated requests the Duty Manager is called for and he then finally resolves the issue, but the GM Mr. Mathew, despite repeated requests to his staff, was never presented and am sure that the staff there kept him from knowing what happened.
On asking for a comment card, they offered me a plain piece of paper.
TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! Even teh bell desk boys were embarrased at what they witnessed.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake facing rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gmjava
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear “gmjava”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this tripadvisor review and to share your comments. I apologize if your stay was not satisfactory. Our staff were trying to accommodate your early arrival at 10:36 am. The hotel had high occupancy on the day of your arrival the 13th of October and we were unable to accommodate you for an early check in for your room type booked. The front office staff did offer to up-sell you to a club room, as you had accepted the up-sell offer on your prior stay. The room you were originally offered for the up-sell was a club room and is on the same floor as your prior stay and was the same room type.

As per your request we cancelled the up-sell and as the original room booked was not ready, we were unable to issue a key for the room. The front office staff are required to ask for photo identification for any person requesting a key. This is to ensure the safety and security of all our guests in the hotel. Apologies if this caused any inconvenience to you.

The hotel staff do contact me if there are any issues in the hotel and I did hear about what happened the following day. However I was not able to see you the following morning as you departed early on the 14th of October.

In the event that your travel schedule ever brings you back to Hanoi, please do contact me on paul.tsuji@sheraton.com. My team and I would value the opportunity to restore your faith in the Sheraton Hanoi .