“Terrible staff at Cake shop!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Hanoi Hotel

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #84 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Terrible staff at Cake shop!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I had a gift voucher to take a complimentary cake at Cake shop. One day before yesterday, i reserved a cake and make appointment to take it at 6pm. But yesterday, I was busy at that time, so I came at 3pm. And the attitude of seller was unbelievable! I told a name to check. They said: "Wrong name!" I said they pleased to check my name and my phone number. They said unendurable: "We just check once, you have to know reserved name". I said that i couldn't go at 6pm, "Can I take the cake early?". They said: "Came here, if we have a SUPERFLUOUS cake, you will take it". I'm a guest, not a BEGGAR. I told them to give back my voucher, and tear it in two at the hotel entrance. I used some services of the Sheraton such as: Oven Do'r, buffet at Songhong ballroom. But the staff at cake shop is really really really terrible. Dont want to come back one more time!!!!!!

Stayed March 2011
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear “Do_Thanh_Nhi”,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I have personally looked into your issue with the cake order. There was a mix up with not only timing but with place of pickup, for which I am truly sorry about. To stop this happening again, the hotel has changed procedures and will no longer have cakes available for pickup at different locations. I apologize for the attitude of the staff member that served you and this has been addressed.

As you have pointed out, unfortunately the cake was not ready at 3pm as we were expecting you at 6pm to pick up the cake. Our pastry chef was actually still making the cake when you arrived, so it would be fresh for you for the 6pm pick up time. Our staff did a poor job in explaining the status of the cake and instead offered you another cake that was ready.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance in the future
paul.tsuji@sheraton.com

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first

- your Lobby is at 17th floor
- your breakfast/dinner snacks are at 17th floor
- internet is free
- and I always get a nice Suite

But when ou aren't SPG Platinum and you have to use the extremely crowded ground-floor lobby/restaurants... No, sorry! It's terribly full with airline people, tourist groups...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HONkiev
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear “HONkiev”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for the candor of your comments. From time to time, the hotel does get busy with various travelers from all over the world. The lobster buffet at dinner is popular with outside guests and can at times also make the hotel crowded. The hotel team do their utmost to provide great service to all guests.

The Starwood Preferred Guest program is a loyalty program that rewards frequent travelers and as you have pointed out, the SPG Platinum status have many benefits. If you book a Club or Suite room you will also be entitled to access the same benefits.

Frederiksberg, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

Stayed 1 night at the Sheraton in Hanoi with my husband and son. It takes approximately 40 minutes from the airport to the hotel. Also during traffic time.

We stayed in a normal room (No 1124) which was located on the 11 floor. The room was quite old fashion but it was clean and functional.
The room was quite noicy. You can hear what is going on next door.

The price level at the hotel is OK. Hotel is located a bit out side of the centrum. I thought it was OK location as a tourist

Breakfast was really nice and you could get everything that you would expect from a international concept hotel.

We received quite a lot of different document send to the hotel, and it was not an issue for the business centre there to handle it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear “loa380”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. All comments are much valued and appreciated. The hotel is located on the picturesque West Lake and is one of the closer hotels to the airport. I personally acknowledge the rooms are not the most modern rooms in terms of design however we take pride in the cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel. We are glad that you could get all of your documents delivered to you through the business centre and we appreciate your positive feedback about breakfast especially from the chefs and the service staff.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

This hotel prides itself of being business friendly, but it is not. They have a small lobby with computers where the staff is unpolite and got upset as I was unaware printing was a paid service. In addition to this, many computers had technical issues, one keyboard did not work, the mouse on the other one was broken and the last one kept disconnecting from the web. For having a basic internet service, they could certainly do better to call themselves a business hotel. The room service works only until 11 pm from what I understand which is another inconvenience.
The breakfast here is really good and overall the hotel is close to the Lake, but transportation is difficult and more expensive to this hotel than to nearby Sofitel. The taxi needs to go through back roads instead of the main lake connector.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KEDTraveler
Dear "KEDTraveler",

Thank you for your comments and for your candor regarding your stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. I am sorry to learn that our staff were unpolite to you about the printing service and that there were technical issues with the computers at the link@sheraton. The link@sheraton is supposed to be an area in the hotel where guests can gather and use the internet for free to connect to friends and family. We have no excuse for the hardware related issues you faced, but they have now been fixed. The internet connection however is a constant challenge and in Vietnam there are times when the internet connection does drop out. We are constantly working with the Internet Service Provider on the connection issues.

The In Room Dining is available 24 hours a day and we went through all of the hotel guest rooms to ensure that there were no menu’s or sections missing. I apologize if you did not see this section in the menu. I acknowledge the location of the hotel is slightly further out from the city centre than our competitor, however the cost is less than U$1 more.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the breakfast buffet in the hotel, the kitchen team are working hard to improve the standards and it is great for them to read your comments. Thank you again for your time in writing and posting this review. I value your feedback.

Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed a the Sheraton Hanoi in January and February, using it as our base while traveling throughout the country. From the first check in on, our experiences with ALL of the staff were excellent. We especially enjoyed the upgrade where we had use of the 17th floor complimentary drinks and food, with great views and interesting travelers to talk to. The rooms were clean, comfortable, with a spacious bathroom. Mornings included a complimentary breakfast buffet, that should make anyone from anywhere happy. Food quality was excellent. Location was good, and it was nice for walking and enjoying the sights. Make time to check out the Health Club, with yoga class, massages, sauna and pool.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eieionan
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear “eieionan”,

Thanks for taking the time to fill in a tripadvisor review. We are delighted to know that the staff at the hotel helped you have a memorable stay. Thank you for your positive comments about the club lounge, and also the guest rooms. Breakfast is one of the added benefits of the club lounge and we are glad that you enjoyed it. Our kitchen team have been working hard on food quality and it is a great motivator to the team to read your positive comments.
Our health club has a membership program in place so it is important for us to have aerobics, yoga classes and other exercise programs to ensure our members are happy, we are glad that you had the time to use the health club facilities and take some of these classes. As you have mentioned the location of the hotel makes it great to stroll around the lake area for a walk to see another side of Hanoi life away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Thank you for your warm words regarding your stay at Sheraton Hanoi. It was our pleasure to welcome you – and I do hope that you will return to Hanoi in the future.

Lodz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

The hotel meets the expectations of the four-star hotel. Rooms with traditional decor and standard equipment. Room and bathroom spacious and clean. Bathroom equipped with both bath and separate shower. Service friendly and helpful (checkin at 9 am without any problem). The hotel is located outside the city center (approx. 2 km) - taxi for about 3-4 USD. Breakfast very good - great selection and excellent quality. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear “MariaLodz”,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. All comments are valued and appreciated. The hotel is not located in the hustle and bustle of the city centre but is located right next to a beautiful lake in the Tay Ho district. We appreciate your comments about the service team and please to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast experience.

Warm Regards.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

When we arrived at the Sheraton there was an overwhelming smell of stale food and the hotel was noisy and chaotic. The bedroom also smelled fusty and damp. These smells always hit me when I returned to the hotel and I found it most upsetting.The staff were always helpful and polite at all times but my stay was ruined by the fact that the hotel needs an update and a re-think.
Never Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruth Ziff

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
tsujip, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear “RuthZiff",

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of The Sheraton Hanoi. Your comments are valued and appreciated. During your stay the hotel was quite busy and we apologize for the lobby area appearing chaotic as this would have been from guests returning from their travels. I am sorry that you had an upsetting stay from the fusty smell. The hotel has an open lobby that is located next to our very popular restaurant that serves Lobsters and other seafood delights and this can sometimes come across the lobby area when the restaurant is busy. I personally went into the room you stayed in to see if I could find out the cause of the odor however when I checked the room there was no damp or fusty smell. It is great to read your thoughts about the staff being helpful and polite and we all thank you for your kind words. I am always grateful for the feedback so that we can review, learn and improve. I personally remain at your disposal I sincerely hope you will contact me paul.tsuji@sheraton.com