“Always crowded”

Ranked #56 of 2,258 Restaurants in Hanoi
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
“Always crowded”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Another terrific little restaurant in the old quarter. It was always crowded, had very good food and extremely good prices.

Visited October 2012

• Vietnamese first
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“Interesting!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

They captured us from the street and made room on the sidewalk our family group of 7. The food was average plus but the servers were very positive. Must be a great place since some folks in a Bentley parked their car on the corner and went inside for lunch. Good drive by meal.

• Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
“good value and service, but you get what you pay for.”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Yes, the food here is cheap. I think that's the only positive characteristic I can give it. It's a friendly place for tourists as the servers speak english and the menu is also written in English.

However, I've had better food at chinese take-out places back in the USA. I'm not sure all the rave reviews about this restaurant. I can only assume these people are unfamiliar with Vietnamese cuisine and are enamored with the price point. The fresh springrolls I ordered were terrible - mainly just noodle and carrot (carrot? in a spring roll??) Perhaps the biggest offense was that the bun cha - which is supposed to be savory grilled pork patties - was fried! You can easily find better bun cha following your nose down the streets to the charcoal stations grilling pork. The thit kho to (caramelized braised pork) was more of a stirfry than a braise.

Overall, I'd say this is more like generic, cheap "asian" food akin to something in a food court or take-out joint. Sure, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank heydana
Newcastle, Australia
“Best food in Hanoi!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

During my short 4 day stay in Hanoi with my partner, we managed to visit this restaurant three times!
The food is AMAZING! You can select dishes out of the kitchen, all of which look and smell great. Long neck tiger beers accompanied every meal we had - for less than $1USD, plus the food was incredibly cheap as well.
We almost walked past this place, but when we saw all the foreigners eating there we knew it must be good. You must come here you will not be disappointed!

• Visited September 2012
Coventry, UK
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We happened upon this place trying it because it was so busy. Ive since found it recommended in most guidebooks and I can see why. Although I rarely follw these recommendations because they can be so outdated!
This place is an absolute gem and massive! The ground floor part goes back quite a long way, but when we were there we were taken through the kitchen, up some stairts, up some more stairs, through some random dark route that I wasnt even sure I was in the same building before being shown into an empty room that I thought was the staff room. Within minutes there was another couple, then a group then another family and we went from being alone and slightly scared in a room to being squashed up sharing a table with complete starngers!
The food is awsome. The waiter we had was a real flirt..with my 14 year old son..so his emabrrassment was worth it. Staff are just so friendly and touchy feely and nothing is too much trouble. Although what you order and what you get may be two different things it comes with such a smile and all tastes so good it didnt matter.
If you are looking for intimacy or privacy dont come here. If you are looking to linger over a leisurley dinner dont come here. If you want excellent affordable food, dont mind literally rubbing shoulders with strangers and love the hussel of people and noise and chaos then this place is a true gem. The only place we ate in twice and with so much choice of earteries thats saying something.

• Visited July 2012