“A comfortable place to stay in busy City”

Hanoi Fortune Hotel
Ranked #464 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, Australia
“A comfortable place to stay in busy City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

The Hanoi Fortune Hotel is certainly one of those hotels which I will continue to stay whenever I visit Hanoi. Whilst I have been lucky enough to stay at some very fine hotels, this one is right at the top of the list. Rooms are also very nice and the maid service is exceptional. Whilst many hotels will service your room during the day and turn down your bed at night. In fact this pretty much sums up the hotel. Anyway, In reality, it’s only a 5-10 minute walk to the centre of Hanoi 10$ or $15 by Sans Souci ride to everywhere else in the Old Quarter Street. Staff are what you would expect in a top star hotel – very professional and friendly. Whilst there are many fine hotels in Vietnam this one impressed me very much and I will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

I've come back from 7 days trips to the north of Vietnam. Halong bay, Sapa and Hanoi are my mostly loved destinations. I cruised on Bhaya junk in Halong bay, sleeped in Chapa botique hotel in Sapa and Hanoi Fortune hotel in Hanoi( Phudo formely name). I was recommended these from my friends who live in Bangkok.
I almost satisfied with everything here except sometime noisy in the night. The rooms are very clean and spacy with nice wall decoration. Breakfast is excillent with vietnammese cuisine, i loved "Pho" and some kinds of cake(don't remember the names) here. The staff are so friendly, especially Mr.Son and Mr.Dai are very helpful for my trip to Halong bay, Sapa and Hanoi getting around trip.
continue my trip to Phuket from Hanoi and very happy for my trip in Vietnam. Thanks to all friends in Vietnam.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank john_phantom
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

We were traveling to Hanoi in our Honeymoon, and I spent countless hours doing research about where to stay and what to do. I contacted the hotel via email and asked questions that were answered in a timely manner and very detailed. The Hanoi Fortune Hotel (formely known as Phu Do Hotel) was a great experience. The cost is unbeatable and the rooms are very spacious. Do remember that if you get a room with view of the street, that it will be noisy at times (but not during sleeping hours). It is centrally located. The staff was very curious and answered all my questions (they can also recommend the best place in the Old Quarter to eat Pho). Do be ready to walk up large stairs (there is no elevator). They have wireless internet and two computers in the kitchen area. There is also a bank half a block away as well as many good restaurants. They also have a Desk assigned for turist information (I would ask them about prices of different activities in and around Hanoi before you book with anyone else...e.g. Halong Bay).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foghesino
Mount Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

Right from the start was the super friendly staff. Arriving late in Hanoi at about 1am, I called to let them know.  We were told that their hotel staff was waiting for us outside at the international airport destination and just advise them when we got luggage. To our expectation, a nice driver welcomed us and helps us with the luggage. At the time arriving hotel, we were quickly arranged in a reserved room. Our rooms were lovely and cosy with a comfortable bed.

As we were new to Hanoi, the staffs were willing and happy to assist us whatever asked. When asked about the directions to a place, we was informed the nearest way to get the spot we wanted to go.

Nice hotel and excellent staffs!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Derby, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

Safe, clean rooms and a great location in the middle of Hanoi's madness, I'd recommend the Fortuan. We stayed for a week or so and went off to Halong Bay on one of their tours and left our backpacks for 3 days with no problems. The breakfast was interesting but always filling and they had some English language TV channels which were nice. The place was also fully air-conditioned, I'm no fan of spending time in your hotel when you are travelling but Hanoi is so tiring that you will need a rest, this is as good a place as any for it.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maccaderby242
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed there 2 nites. This is a very basic hotel strictly for room and breakfast only. It is has a very unimpressive facade. The HSBC ATM sits more prominent than the hotel entrance. The family kept asking me why every other hotel we pass by while walking in the old quarter looked better than ours...well at least from the outside.
The lobby and common areas are equally unimpressive. No lifts, so if you get a room starting with a 3**, you shd be prepared to climb some 5 flrs thru a dark and almost dingy stairway.
In the rooms, you'll be greeted with old furniture, but you will find everything neat and clean. Except for a wallpaper, there's really very little effort to make the room more pleasant. Other than the fact that things work in the bathroom, there is really nothing else to say about it. Old fittings and water pressure in showers can do better. Not even a shower curtain between bathtub and water cistern and you'll end up wetting the entire place including toilet papers in the small & barely functional layout. The bathroom is certainly not a highlight in this hotel.
The windows face the stairwell, and so do ventilators and aircon compressors.
Some service staff do try to be enthusiastic but I found the desk managers too biz like.
This is definitely a budget hotel with little distinguishing features other than its good location and modest pricing. We kept telling ourselves all these is ok for 2 nites and what we pay.
Not a place I would recommend to others or go back too. Many others in its price range to try.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sunmoon18

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Hanoi Fortune Hotel
Basic Accomodations + Friendly Scammers (Tour)
We booked this hotel based on the reviews. We sent a request for a reservation via their website. Right away, there was confusion on the dates and the type of room requested. After the 3rd email, I felt comfortable that we had the arrival dates, room type, and pick up time at the airport.
After being up for ever flying 14 hour flight from SFO to HK, then 12 hour layover, then arriving in Hanoi and waiting for our baggage for 1 hour, we were looking fwd to heading to our hotel. Our first frustration came when there was no taxi from our hotel at the airport. We had to deal with the airport counter trying to charge us $30 USD…which we quickly declined. There was a mini bus option $8 but a long wait until they fill up and then finally we were able to get a taxi for $15.
When we arrive at the hotel, the front desk quickly greeted us and seemed to know who we were. We complained about the missing taxi service at the airport. They smiled and said oh sorry sorry…maybe our taxi is still waiting for you. You should have called us etc.

Our room was on 3rd floor - very basic and clean – two twin beds, private bath, ac, internet. Our window looked to the hallway. No more than 2 stars.

Pros
+$25 a night, Room very clean and quiet, We did not hear any street noise and very quiet inside the hotel.
+AC and Free Wifi
+Breakfast included with many options: vietnamese spread pho ga (chicken),ham, spring rolls, fried rice, stir fry noodles, eggs cooked to order, fruit, coffee, juice, etc.

Cons – Tour service – Friendly concierge – smiles all the way… promising great quality bookings etc. -Halong Bay tour for $60 – this one was actually just okay.
-Flights – this was booked through Vietnam Airlines – we paid the hotel and they didn’t charge extra
-Hotels in Hoi An and Hue – THIS IS WHERE WE FELT SCAMMED
-Transportation from Hoi An to Hue – THIS IS WHERE WE WERE SCAMMED
We asked the concierge, Mr. Dai to help us reserve hotel for us at our next destination Hoi An and Hue. I gave a list of hotels I wanted to reserve to check on availabiltiy. In front of me he called one by one each Hoi An hotel and then said all were booked. He assured us, “Don’t worry, I will find you a hotel with good ratings on Trip Advisor.” He also offered to get us transportation from Hoi An to Hue. I was very specific…I want a private driver so that I can make stops and take pictures. Mr. Dai did not recommend and said that we could get a mini bus just as fast and half the cost. Okay great..
Long story, here’s the scam part…Mr Dai wrote up a voucher for the Hoi An / Hue Hotel and transportation. We had to pay in Hanoi. All seemed great until we arrived at the hotel, we overpaid. Mr Dai charged us $35 for each night when it should have been $20-25 each night. It gets worse…we never had a private driver…or mini bus. Mr. Dai put us on the worst local bus transportation from Hoi An to Hue. NEVER GET ON THESE LOCAL BUSES…they cost about $3-5USD. We had paid Mr.Dai to arrange mini bus for $50 for 2 people. We really feel scammed. We were promised one thing and then given another. We basicalled got screwed really bad and its probably our fault for trusting the friendly smiling scammers. Song, Minh and Mr. Dai…all were out to just get the most $$ out of us.

If you stay at Hanoi Fortune, rooms are basic, clean, quiet, good breakfast and location in Old Quarter. DO NOT use their tour service and get screwed like we did.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple