“Fantastic experience, a must do!”

Blue Butterfly Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Ho Chi Minh
“Fantastic experience, a must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

My friend and I had an excellent time attending the Blue Butterfly cooking course with Tinh. The morning spent at the market was really interesting and was an opportunity to sample local cuisine and fresh foods. The actual class was really fun and informative, the staff were lovely, and Tinh's knowledge and expertise was great. Really great value for $35, the food was beautiful and staff were really friendly. Highly recommended!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A MUST DO! What a wonderful afternoon ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

My partner and I are visiting Hanoi on our honeymoon and were booked into Tinh's cooking class as a wedding gift from close friends. What an amazing day we had! We were so lucky to happen to be the only ones in the class this afternoon so we had a very special experience. As others have mentioned, the market experience is fantastic and the food we cooked was delicious- we especially loved the spring rolls, the BEST we have ever eaten! It was a hot, sweaty day in Hanoi but Tinh kept us well hydrated with complimentary tea and coffee to begin with, then cold bottled water throughout the afternoon. The classroom/kitchen and the restaurant itself are air conditioned and comfortable. Food hygiene and safety is of an excellent standard and care is taken to use bottled water throughout the cooking for foreigners wishing to avoid any tummy bugs! We had a truly wonderful day, an absolute highlight of our trip so far- and because there were only 2 of us, Tinh afterwards took us out for some guided shopping and for traditional coffee and beers- so our 3 hour tour became nearly 6 hours!! Tinh is such a friendly and happy man who obviously genuinely cares very much about providing his guests with the best experience he can- this class far exceeded our expectations and is an absolute MUST DO for any foodies visiting Hanoi!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must for everyone who is into cooking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Since the course of the class is already well described in other reviews I will focus on my personal highlights: although I was the only one who had booked the morning class that day, tinh and his chef took fantastic care of me! You get to try a huge variety of different things on the market already, so I was kinda full once we came back to the restaurant - and don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint :)
While chopping up all the different ingredients, tinh shares some knowledge about vietnamese cousine and talks about the differences to other asien countries. His chef is always good for a laugh as well although he doesn't speak english. Tinh is very interested in his guests and therefore easy to talk to. Also, don't be surprised if he asks you to teach him some German after the class... :)

All in all, it is a lovely experience especially if you are into cooking anyways! You'll definately gain some knowledge and take new inspiration back home with you - thanks a mill to the two of you, it's been so much fun!

PS: If you don't wanna pass by the restaurant to book the class, you can reach tinh directly on his mobile: 0912575489

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great cooking experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

My family and I had such an excellent and memorable time at the cooking class! It costs 35USD per pax that includes local market tour and drinks (coffee, tea and water).

Mr Tinh picked my family and I up from our hotel at 9am and brought us to Blue Butterfly restaurant to enjoy some Vietnamese coffee. When we met up with the other group, we took a tour down to the local market where he introduced vegetables and fruits that were commonly used by Vietnamese people. We got to grate green papaya by the streets, try local fruits (lychee, mangosteen, mangoes and many more) and even the exotic food such as duck embryo and wood worms. Mr Tinh was very knowledgeable, attentive and extremely encouraging when it came to trying new food items that were popular in Vietnam.

After getting the ingredients, we returned to the restaurant and began the cooking process. The chef came out and was very proficient in his work. He taught us well and was quite a humorous guy. After 2 hours of chopping, preparing and cooking the food, we sat down and enjoyed our own cooked meal! We even received certificates after the cooking class.

All in all, it was a great experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely worth trying out if you have some time to spare in Hanoi.

3 Thank drugslits
Hanoi, Vietnam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

I took this class based on recommendations from tripadvisor and it was a great experience. Instead of repeating many of the things the previous reviewers said, I want to express what a competent guide Tinh is. As I was the only one taking this morning's class he carefully tailored the tour to the market to my interests and knowledgeably answered my many questions. He was also very personable and made me feel at ease, which was wonderful for a shy solo participant like me. If you have the chance to take this class call Tinh directly on 0912 575 489 if you want to make sure you get an English-speaker on the other end of the line.

Visited May 2014