“Service above and beyond - but be aware it's in a restauraunt”

Blue Butterfly Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Service above and beyond - but be aware it's in a restauraunt”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Market visit was a great experience and having a local guide on friendly terms with the market sellers is priceless. Tinh is very easy going and great for a laugh which made me feel at ease as a solo traveller. He was more than happy to store my bag, help me find my next hotel and even fixed the leather strap on my watch for nothing when I asked him where I could go to have it done.

The chef was great too, but as he didn't speak English, Ting acted as a bit of an intermediary once back at the restaurant which made it a little awkward at times.

One of the cheapest classes around at around $40 including as much food as anyone could want, coffee and taxi - great value for money, but bear in mind the cooking occurs in the restaurant dining area.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hanoi, Vietnam
“WOW! What a great class!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The morning started with a cosy taxi ride to the resturant. We had some wonderful coffee then a trip to the markets with lots of information on the way. We got to sample some of the local fruit and met a little baby! Very pleased to have Mr Tinh with us in the market, we got so much more information than if we went alone. Back at the resturant, the chef was great with my 11yr old son, and Mr Tinh was very helpful with my daughter, both very paitent and good humoured. We cooked loads of food! This was very good value for money, would highly recommend this class.

Visited October 2013
“Value for money - excellent”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The morning started with the hotel pick up by Mr Tinh, then coffee at his restaurant followed by a tour of the street and wet market to collect ingredients. Excellent explication of fruits, veg and other exotic delights with the opportunity to taste some of them. Back to the Blue Butterfly restaurant to prepare. 3 course lunch in traditional style with a master class in knife skills and presentation. Mr Tinh and his team are great hosts and we thoroughly enjoyed our morning.

Kailua, Hawaii
“Great Cooking Class”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Tinh shares a wonderful cooking class. We got to see a lot of the local areas we might have missed on our own. The price of his class was very reasonable and was longer than we anticipated. He even picked us up from our hotel, and took us to buy some coffee to take home after the class. He gave the extra effort to make it memorable. If I go back to Hanoi, I will take another class from him so learn even more!!

New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Great fun!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Mr Ting and his marvelous chef will ensure you have a fantastic experience. My friend and I spent a morning being guided around the local markets, trying every type of fruit under the sun and being introduced to some of the incredilble edibles that you will sample during your trip to Vietnam if you are lucky. Then back to the restaurant for the class. On our day it was just the two of us and really we could not have been more spoilt! we were shown how to finely juilliene veggies safely with huge knives, make carrot and tomato flowers, fabulous salad, spring rolls ( my all time fav) and a delicious stir fry. My veggie pal was shown how to make probably the best augergine dish I have ever tasted. Lots of laughter and wonderful dining at the end...invite some freinds to help you enjoy it. Just the best thing I did in Hanoi! Thanks you guys.