Book In Advance
Tours from Blue Butterfly Cooking Class tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from $28.00
from $23.20
from $22.00
More Info
All reviews market tour local market chef hung spring rolls buy ingredients private class cooking course banana flower salad delicious dishes cooking experience vietnamese food learning how pho bo picked up from our hotel a lot of fun learned how wet market
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just finished my first Vietnamese cooking class, and what a memorable experience it was!!
Tinh (The restaurant manager) takes the class along with a his chef. They are both lovely and make it so much fun. The class starts with a quick market tour, which was very interesting got to see all the local food markets and even pick up some ingredients for cooking.
We cooked three dishes during the class Green Papaya salad, Hanoi Spring Rolls & Lemongrass Chicken all beautiful, there was honestly enough food to feed five people so I took alot of it back to the hotel with me! It all tastes absolutley divine. Can't wait to go home and cook an awesome Vietnamese meal they even show you how to do some fancy decorations (Carrot flowers and Tomato roses which is a nice touch) I will need to practice that! Thinh even called me up at the hotel to make sure I arrived back ok...very lovely guy. Highly recommend this to anyone thinking of taking a cooking class while in Vietnam :)

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We just finished a cooking class with Mr. Tinh who is an incredible man. He is the manager of the restaurant and cooking Instructor. Right from the start we were greeted and provided with coffee and water. Then we did a very informative market tour where we got to try many new foods and learned so much about Vietnamese food and culture. Then we went back and cooked 3 delicious dishes that tasted better than any of the local restaurants did, and ate until we were full. Mr. Tinh ensured we were always happy. He is such a humble and knowledgeable person. He has learned 6 languages including English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, and of course Vietnamese. This class is an MUST if you are visiting Hanoi. Thank you Mr. Tinh!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This class was ok. The tour of the market was interesting. I was solo on the tour, just me and a guide so I was happy with what I learned and they seemed lovely. When paying they ripped me off 100,000dong claiming I paid them with a 10,000dong note but I know they were lying I had just been to the bank so had no small notes on me. I just agreed to avoid argument. Was a disappointing end to a good tour.

4  Thank Hanko2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We did the standard 3 dishes everyone seems to get here (papaya salad, springrolls & chicken stirfry) and while this was pretty basic it was fun. It was just the two of us so a little awkward but plenty of time and attention.
There was only one pit so we didn't feel like we both got to really cook this meal.

Downside was the 'market tour', this really involved buying 1 papaya and a few rice sheets. I didn't see a market, just a few separate stalls and within very short time we were back at the restaurant.

Not a very professional place, the 'kitchen' was just a table in the restaurant installed for the occasion, but overall there was a local and true feel about it which was nice.
Compliments to the chef for speaking good English and for managing to exchange some of his own skill. We enjoyed 'our' food very much in the end, and will be trying it again at home.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband, who doesn't cook, and I went to a cooking class at the Blue butterfly and had a great time. We were taken through the food markets to bye our ingredients and then spent a couple of hours preparing and cooking a great 3 course meal. Best still we then got to eat it all.!
The staff from chef to translator were wonderful and very professional. A must if you want to see the markets and then cook dinner.We would definitely recommend this cooking class.