“Charming hotel”

Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel
Ranked #94 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
“Charming hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our first nights in Vietnam were at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel and I can say it´s a comfortable and cosy hotel, with facilities and good wifi connection, as well as helpful and kind staff. An appropriate introduction to a fascinating country.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear ainalma,

many thanks for your kind comment.
I can only encourage you to come back to Vietnam to see how fast it grows.

best regards,
Vincent Delsol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This trip I had had several problems from schedule to my health. The hotel helped me out at all. Ms Huyen, the front desk manager, and her team quickly made a new reservation without penalty charge ( for previous non-refundable booking). Especially, Ms Nga and her bussy restaurant 's co-workers did even more: cooked a special food for my treatment diarrhea which I terrible got and had to make alot of works with the clinic Vietsing at the same street!
I cant say thank enough to all of them, hope to see you soon at beginning of 2014!

• Stayed July 2013
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear DosNguyen,

thank you for this very nice comment which has been transferred to the teams.

We look forward to welcome you back in 2014.
best regards,
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Right, it is a tough country and a lot of tourists (and local people) has a several story of being robbed or trap and so on... Even myself but probably less than other. I am not naïve, not at all!. But I believe in miracle of just a smile and a kind way to ask for a little help anywhere in the world. I it is, on my point of view, especially true in Vietnam. It is not a secret, I love that country maybe it makes the difference, I don't know but today, at Mercure Hanoi, Miss Mo and the Mercure team give me a new reason to enjoy the real kindness of people here to be helpful for the one who know to respect and smile! It was not a big service, just a little help. I will not tell because I don't want every bother them with that kind of little services, but be sure than if you are polite, smiley and respectful they will know how to help!
Thanks again ;o))

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Yong'an, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two nights during our dragon boat holiday in Hanoi. The hotel is not In The old quarter, which I chooses deliberately to avoid the hustle and noise in the old quarter.

Free wifi, simple but adequate breakfast (they have pho, a local rice noodle, very delicious), the travel guide I found in the room is also very useful.

The reception can speak good English. There will be always people helping your open the door.

The room is a bit small in asia standard, bathroom only have shower. When I asked for slippers in the room, they said only higher room level having slippers, which i found strange. So do not forget to bring your own slippers if you book a basic room type.

The restaurant Quan An Ngon is very near the hotel, 500 meters maybe and they have very good Vietnamese food and English manu. ATM is just beside the front door.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michellegaojie
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Why is there no "good" in Tripadvisor. Jumps from average to very good...

Mercure La Gare is a good hotel. Better than average, not yet in very good.

I travel often to Hanoi for business, and I have adopted Mercure La Gare as my headquarters on my visits.

Its location is excellent for me: I can actually walk to most of my meetings.

Excellent bar and not bad a restaurant. Actually, if you are a wine lover, as I am, I will recommend this hotel. It has a Da Loc wine shop downstairs and the hotel offers -rarity in Vietnam- wine tasting menus, where you can try two or three different wines. That is a privilege.
To have a bar downstairs allows you to work on your laptop in an open environment along the day. Not so easy in Hanoi!

I have witnessed the staff improving their service significantly. On previous occasions I have seen my comments taken into account, so I compliment staff management for their continuous training.

What limits the hotel category (and obviously it is what holds down the price to a very good value) is size. It is a small hotel and everything: from the rooms to the corridors, elevators and restaurant, feel crammed. Some items such as doors, carpets and walls would thank a renovation, paintjob or wash; Hanoi's winter humidity is not aging them well.

However. Those shortcomings do not affect my impression of a good comfortable stay while I visit Hanoi, and I will keep on using their installations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Carlos D,

Thank you for such a nice review on Mercure Hanoi la Gare. I'll inform the head of departments about the quality of the trainings.
Your remarks on the improvements to be done on the maintenance part are taken in account.
I am very happy and proud to hear that our hotel is your headquarters in Hanoi.
I am going to contact you personally so I can meet you during your next stay. I would be very pleased to do so.