“Not Up to Standard”

Ranked #96 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Darwin, Australia
“Not Up to Standard”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

As a chain hotel that we have used before this stay was very disappointing! The hotel smelt of Sewerage, food that should have been refrigerated was not and it was so cold that I sat in the room under a blanket. The review we completed when we left as met with a response from the Manager Vincent DELSOL that it s expensive to keep a hotel heated. Never again!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Mr Grice,

I have taken your comments following your recent stay with us into great considerations. Please let me express again my most sincere apologies for the obvious upset and inconvenience caused.
I take on board your remarks regarding the smell of sewerage and I am happy to inform your that, even if it is very rare that the smell appears, and that it comes from the street, we are actively looking for a solution to this situation.
I would like to assure you that the hygiene is of primary importance for us and the breakfast buffet meets all the requirements.

All our rooms are equipped of an individual thermostat to ensure the comfort of our Guests. You can increase or decrease the temperature or switch off the AC. I deeply regret that the room temperature did not meet your expectations.
Unfortunately, there must have been a misunderstanding in our email exchanges as, no matter the cost, we keep the room and hotel temperature at 24 degrees as per our standard. For the explanations means only, in a tropical country, keeping a hotel at such a temperature costs more than heating up.

I do hope we can restore your faith in our hotel and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back. I hope to welcome you personally next time you are in the hotel.
Best regards,
Vincent Delsol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Nice Staff. The happy hour rules were confusing, and the breakfast not up to usual Accor standards. (I am a platinum member of Accor scheme). Nice quiet room on level 7. Stayed three nights in all. A safe choice, seemed to be aimed at the French market.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Denbru2919,

thank you for having taken the time to share your comment which has been transferred to the staff.
As a matter of fact, we're currently simplifying the rules and offers of the happy hours. The new ones have been validated no later than this morning (13th of March).
As a platinum member, I do hope that we'll have the opportunity to see you again. I'll stay available if you ask for me at the reception when checking in.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is located in a very nice place with easy access to transportation.
The room is small with nice furniture and a very comfortable king size bed.
The set menu of the restaurant is just about average and the food is below average compared with similar hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Riba_100,

thank you for sharing your experience with us and I'm happy to read that the king size bed was very comfortable.
Our standard rooms are20-22 sqm, our superior rooms are 25-28 sqm and our deluxe rooms are 35sqm.
I'm sorry that the quality of the food didn't satisfy you and would be happy to have additional information in order to improve the quality.

I hope to have the pleasure to meet you in person if you come back to Hanoi.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel with my wife. Clean and quiet hotel. Staff is very nice and speak a good english. You can find a wine shop in the hotel building, and hotel clients have 20% of discount. Located clos to the main train station, and 5 mins from city center. Breakfast buffet is sufficent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 274856PvP
Dear 274856PvP,

thank you for your nice comment which has been transferred to the team.
I hope that your experience with us will make you choose a Mercure hotel for your next trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great value hotel. Rooms a reasonable size, and location is very good near train station / Pacific Place / old town. Good breakfast, and if weather permits, worth sitting outside and enjoying the street scene.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the bigger room, worthwhile and still excellent value
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear NicDD1,

thank you for sharing your experience at the Mercure Hanoi ... and some tips.
As a matter of fact there are only 2 hotels in Hanoi with street terrace including ours.
They give you the opportunity to enjoy and experience the life of the city.

I hope your stay with us will make you choose one of the Mercure in Australia for your next trip.
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed in Hanoi for business and I stayed at the Mercure Hanoi La Gare. I would say there is nothing special about it, it is an average Mercure room with the guaranteed average Mercure level. I booked for a standard room but they upgraded me to the next level category because I have the loyalty card. The room was quite spacious, reasonably clean, reasonably comfortable but quite noisy because it was facing the street (and the hotel is located at a cross road so quite a few motorbikes are running around all night long). I would therefore advise the future Mercure Hanoi La Gare guests to ask for a quieter room which would face the courtyard (although I have no idea if the other side is quieter or not). The breakfast was in line with the Mercure level, you have everything at an average category. I have stayed in the past in other hotels in Hanoi which are not as well known as the Accor brand but definitely much better value (cheaper price and better). There is a fitness room but I have not had any time to try it out.

Room Tip: try the rooms not facing the street
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear CricHongKong,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Hanoi la Gare for your stay in Hanoi and taking the time to give us your feedback.
Indeed, the rooms facing the garden are more quite then the ones facing the street. I would recommend the garden facing rooms for noise sensitive Guests. Though we have some guests coming from frenzied environment who asked us specifically for rooms not being on the backyard. We are always trying our best to satisfy all our guests' requests.
I hope to welcome you back in the hotel as we are improving ourselves continuously.
Please do not hesitate to contact my office directly, if you decide to give us a second chance.
Best Regards,