“Hotel with a Service”

Ranked #97 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed February 23, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was in Hanoi for two days with my family with two kids, and stayed in the larger Deluxe room of 35sqm. The room was large, very comfortable and clean.

Despite the fact that the hotel is facing the railway station and a busy street, there was hardly any noise in the room. The bed for the parents was very comfortable and for the kids a good quality mattress was put on the floor, they slept fine.

Even though I read a lot of other reviews complaining about the bathroom, we had no problem with it. There is a large glass wall that is long enough to avoid the rest of the bathroom to get wet while showering, Maybe this was particular to the Deluxe room.

Service in the hotel was stunning. We had the best breakfast of our whole trip in Vietnam, with great French croissants, good coffee and everything you'd expect from a breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is quite conveniently located and in a 10 minute walk you are in the old town with all historical sites to visit. We did our visits on foot.

Next time in Hanoi no doubt we will stay in the Mercure again.

Room Tip: Definitively go for the deluxe room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arcee72
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are only really suitable for one small person. We arrived late in the evening to find the room with one bed which we had requested was actually twin beds fixed together in some way. This would not have been such a problem if the room had not been so small and each side of the "bed" had had a beside table and a lamp. We did talk to the management and this problem was eventually rectified but it should have been thought through earlier. Small does not describe the shower room however...think minute. The shower itself had no door or curtain so it constantly flooded the outside area. However the worse crime of all was that the glass door between the bedroom area and the toilet had a huge gap in it making activity in the toilet area very public. What madperson designed this!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear TrueBrit_10,

I would like to thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience. I am upset to hear that our product did not meet your needs.
Our standard rooms are of 20 square metres and these are the smallest rooms in the hotel. Indeed some of the rooms have beds that we can zip together. They are as comfortable as the kind size beds and allows to satisfy most of your Guests’ needs as we have overmatresses to cover the zip.
The showerroom have been upgraded in march in order to solve the problem of flooded floor.

I do apologies for the inconvenience that you have experience with us. Let me assure you that not all the Mercure hotels have the same design. I hope that you will have a pleasure in staying in one of our 700 Mercure hotels round the world.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are ok as expected of Mercure. I had a "Superior room" but the shower area seems to be missing either a glass door or at least a shower curtain. So water gets splashed out when bathing - although cleaning is not my problem but still i prefer my toilet dry area to be dry.

I had a slight issue with getting a taxi to Noi Ba airport. The night before, i spoke to a nice lady called Nguyen Sang, she asked my plans to the airport and i said Mai Linh. She said ok good plan. The next morning, i went to the front desk to ask for a Mai Linh taxi, the lady serving me was Thu Thao. But before she could answer, a guy by the name of Xuan Nam came over enthusiastically and offered to help. He said Mai Linh were very expensive, easily 400-500 dong, suggested a fixed rate Hanoi Airport taxi at 350. After some hesitation, i agreed. But within 2 mins the bellboy came over and said there is no Hanoi Airport taxi at this hour and theres another taxi at the door waiting for me already. It was another taxi brand i wasnt comfortable with. So i declined. And i was left alone on my own - maybe a penalty for not taking up this taxi at the door. From experience, i usually stay away from other taxi groups as much as possible.

I later went back to the reception and looked for Thu Thao and she suggested to get a Mai Linh taxi. Within 3mins it was here and i had a great fixed rate trip to the airport. Just felt the incident made me feel like i almost got scammed. Albeit non intentional.

Thu Thao deserves credit for her honesty and helpfulness.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank SporeSamSeng
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had two nights at the la Gare in Hanoi. In general it was a very pleasant experience; a clean and well presented establishment. The highlight for me was the pho: best I had in Vietnam! The lowlight was the bathroom in our room. The layout was unappealing, cramped and inpractical. If it was a recent refurb; I think the hotel management were ripped off! Staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors were overheated and rooms at the rear were away from the traffic noises.
1  Thank TravelBug3166
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Hotel is opposite of the Hanoi Central Station and close to the HCM Mausoleum. It is a very clean and nice Hotel - what you expect from a good Mercure / Accor Hotel. The Hotel is sourrounded by small shops and good restaurants. You also can go to a coffee shop near instead of taking the expensive breakfast.

1  Thank diskOS
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear diskOS,

thank your for your comment. I can understand that you're a Accor/Mercure regular guest.
As you were able to compare, our breakfast offer esceeds the regular Mercure offer, and I decided to improve the quality of the items instead of increasing the variety with low quality products.

Thank you again for your comment and the whole team will be happy to welcome you again to the hotel.
best regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights while taking day trips in the area. The hotel is part of a french hotel chain group, so it has a more international decoration style. Our room was to the back and i did not hear the trains coming in at all, but heard from friends that they woke up every morning at 5 am. The bed was huge and super comfortable, the bathroom was small, but very modern and I found the showers ok and not as bad as some other people described it. The breakfast buffet is great with a lot of choices and you can oder a la carte eggs and vietnamese soups. The bread and croissants were awesome. the bar is good and they had some nice but expensive wine choices. I very much enjoyed my stay there.

1  Thank uschi05

Dear uschi05,

thank you very much for your comment. Mercure is a midscale non standardized brand from Accor with 700 hotels around the world. You may know some of our other brands in the US like Novotel (midscale) or Sofitel (upper upscale).

I'm very happy to read that you had a great moment with us and I'll make sure the whole team is made aware of your comment. The beds are the premium bedding and follow our Mercure standards. It is definitely very appreciated by our guests.
The offer for the croissant and morning pastries has been changed in January and I'm glad that you found them "awesome".

However, regarding the prices of the wine, we'll change our wone list at the end of February and we've included a wider choice of "by the glass" wines. On top of that, we're going to change our Hapy hour concept after the Lunar new year and offer the same deal as the beer to the wine: Buy 1, Get 1 free.

I hope your experience with Mercure will make you choose one for your next trip.
best regards,