“Thank you Tony and staff at Rising Dragon II for a wonderful holiday - you're fantastic!”

Rising Dragon Grand Hotel
Ranked #142 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Victoria
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Wanting to escape and chill out from a horrendous year at work, and after travelling through Vietnam with friends in 2008 with Hanoi as the highlight, I decided to revisit Hanoi in 2009 for nine days and explore the city on my own. Being on my own, I wanted to stay somewhere nicer (the hotel from the 2008 stay was a bit of a dive) and have a good room with a window and lots of light, and a couch that I could relax on and read or watch DVDs at night.

I came across the Rising Dragon II after someone had recommended its sister hotel, and after plying the manager Tony Nguyen with a hundred and one email questions, all of which he very patiently and helpfully answered, I booked the hotel. I couldn’t have made a better choice! The friendliness and service of staff alone is enough to highly recommend the Rising Dragon II. They go the extra mile and really help to make your holiday a great experience.

Tony in particular should be cloned! He is quietly spoken, not in the least bit pushy, and with outstanding customer service skills. He went out of his way several times for me. After telling the hotel staff that a cookery class that I’d been to had been terrible (never book a class at “The Blue Butterfly Restaurant”), Tony then sought me out and offered for me to spend time with the Chef at the hotel restaurant and for me to also have a meal with all the staff – at no charge at all. It was a genuine offer and an offer that he was in no way obliged to make, or would profit from. He’s a wonderful person who goes well beyond what he needs to in order to make sure people enjoy their time in Hanoi.

The other hotel staff – including Anne Ha, Thuy, Trang, Anh and Ha – are also terrific. One evening while I was eating outside at a pho café two blocks from the hotel, an American became very aggressive after his card had been “eaten” by the ATM next door. There was someone inside the locked bank and the American kept bashing on the glass and yelling and swearing at him to give him his card back. The language was the worst I’ve heard and even if the Vietnamese people around me didn’t understand what he was saying, they were still stunned at the raucous scene he was making.

He left and came back ten minutes later with a young woman who he kept yelling at while demanding (and still swearing) that she find out the bank manager’s name and call the police. I felt very sorry for the young woman and was then shocked to find her at the reception desk when I went back to the hotel shortly afterwards. I was even more shocked to find the abusive American sitting down with Tony and a group of other men near the desk! Apparently he had stayed at the hotel for a month but was now staying somewhere else. So even though he was no longer staying at the hotel and despite his appalling behaviour (plus the fact that his card was taken due to his own fault) – the staff at the hotel were doing absolutely everything to help him get his card back that evening!!! This was a case of going way beyond the extra mile but just indicates how helpful all the staff are. (I certainly wouldn’t have tried to help this appalling man!)

I loved my room at the hotel – the Dragon Suite, which was well worth the extra money I paid to have it. It was kept spotlessly clean. The bed and couch are typically Vietnamese, ie. hard, but that never stopped me from having a good night’s sleep (as they say, a firmer mattress is better for you). The pillows though were the best I’ve ever had - I wish I had the same for my own bed! The view is mainly of another hotel being built but I liked to look over the balcony and watch what was happening on the street.

The hotel is in a great location, only ten minutes walk from the lake and one small block from the most colourful street in Hanoi – Hang Ma – with its beautiful lanterns and wedding decorations and other paper products. In Hang Ga itself around the hotel are lots of shops selling cards with paper cut-outs, while the next intersecting street sells bamboo products. It’s a fantastic area to stroll around and I spent hours just doing that.

Hanoi is also great to see as a motorbike passenger – you just need to close your eyes when it comes to those really hair-raising moments such as when the driver turns head on into oncoming traffic! You haven't really lived unless you've experienced a motorbike ride in Hanoi! Again the ever helpful staff at the hotel flagged a motorbike driver down for me when I asked them to do so and negotiated a price for him to drive around the streets with me for an hour. Although the driver can’t speak English – I highly recommend him. Just ask the hotel staff to ring Phap on his mobile number 01235774488. I went out for three rides – the last one being at night. When I told the hotel staff I wanted a ride at night, without me even asking, they did an itinerary for the driver so I could see the best evening sites. The trip took nearly two hours rather than one and so I paid him double the agreed price. He looked at me surprised and then tried to give me some money back – a rare experience!!

I absolutely loved my stay in Hanoi and I have to thank the staff at the Rising Dragon II for playing a major part in making my trip so enjoyable. I can’t recommend this hotel enough and I just hope the hotel and staff are still there when I return some day. Don’t bother booking anywhere else – you can’t beat the Rising Dragon II!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank GGMP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed December 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Rising Dragon 2 Hotel, located in the Old Quarter of Hanoi City, from Friday 13th November for 7 days.

We consider ourselves reasonably seasoned travellers, and are in total agreement that the Jewel in the Crown of our trip has to be our hotel – the Rising Dragon 2 (RD2). What can I say about RD2 and its staff that can truly reflect the absolute sincerity, efficiency and pure-hearted hospitality and consideration they bestowed upon us?

Tony (Toan) Nguyen, the hotel manager, is indeed greater than the sum of his parts! The commitment and professionalism he brings to his role as hotel manager goes beyond what is absolutely necessary, and his devotion to his clients’ every comfort and well-being is unparalleled. Together with his staff, an excellently assembled team of dedicated people, we have to say that this has been the most rewarding holiday experience in our lives to date.

Our Vietnam holiday (consisting of 3 tours) was entirely organised by Tony before we left the U.K. We were impressed by how efficient and speedy with which it was conducted, never ceasing to be of assistance to us via Skype or email. On arrival, you are further blown away when, getting out of the courtesy car outside the hotel, you are greeted (by name) by every member of staff on duty! We were greeted with such warmth and affection that it was a truly humbling experience. After we checked in, we were led into the restaurant where we were offered a welcome drink. Then Tony himself came and talked to us for as long as we liked (adding that extra personal touch) until we were ready to retire to our rooms.

The Superior rooms, in short, are spotlessly clean, modern, beautifully elegant in its simplicity and décor, with all the usual mod-cons you would expect from a high-class hotel, such as wood flooring, AC (hot and cold), large flat-screen TV mounted on the wall opposite our bed, two big plump pillows, extremely comfortable bed, clean fresh towels, very good shower and a good flushing Western toilet, safe, fridge, complimentary bottled water on a daily basis and adequate wardrobe space for your clothes. An added bonus was indeed the desktop computer and free internet access which is found in every room in the hotel!

Breakfast was included in the price of US$35 per night, with a very decent varied spread, from Western dishes such as fried eggs, omelettes, fried bread and toast, to oriental dishes such as noodle soup, fried rice and vegetables and fried noodles. In addition, there were plenty of fruits, juices, tea and coffee. If you are a coffee lover, then you will find the coffee at RD2 an absolute delight, as the coffee naturally smells and tastes of caramel!

Tony and his staff were extremely helpful in suggesting places to eat, tailoring, entertainment and any other queries you may have on visiting their city. Their concern for our safety went as far as booking us a taxi to take us from the hotel door to have dinner at the highly recommended restaurant, Quan An Ngon, in order to avoid us being cheated by taxi drivers. Then once we finished our meal, we called the hotel who arranged for a taxi to pick us up from the restaurant back to the hotel. Whilst in the taxi returning to the hotel, we received a call from the hotel, making sure that we were safely in the taxi.

Our first day at the hotel was a short stay, as we had arranged to visit Sapa that same evening, leaving at 8pm. The hotel was gracious enough to provide us with a room on the 9th floor for the day, free of charge, to freshen up and repack our bags for the Sapa tour. We were able to leave our suitcases at the hotel at no extra cost. On returning from the tour, we were allocated a room on the 4th floor. Both rooms were equally good.

So, what negative things can we say about the hotel, just to keep this review balanced? Em, …..

Granted, the rooms are a bit on the small side by Western standards, and granted, being such a newly refurbished hotel, a couple of small issues that COULD be raised such as the internet in our rooms being a bit slow; on the 9th floor, the power in the shower dropped compared to that on the 4th floor, and the TV reception needed looking into. BUT the quality of the staff and the hotel itself far outweighed these minor problems, and they did not at all affect the utter enjoyment we had in staying at RD2.

All three tours during our stay in Vietnam were arranged by Tony, and in doing so, made it very flexible. We were required only to inform him that we wanted to go to Ha Long Bay (or the Perfume Pagoda) the following day by 8pm the night before, and the tour would be booked. So if we were too tired from our excursions, we were not obliged to join any tours until we were ready to do so.

The days where we were not touring was spent at a Spa, newly opened and close to the hotel, recommended by Tony. We were not disappointed! The SF Salon and Spa was a very classy, clean and modern establishment, and by Western standards, very reasonable and affordable priced packages. The staff members were all very friendly and professional. Another “not to miss” experience if you are visiting Hanoi!

Now, just a few words about the three tours that we joined:

SAPA (Easy Trekking 2D 1N): To reach Sapa involved a 10 hour journey by night-train each way. We travelled by first class, which consisted of an air-conditioned compartment with 4 bunked beds and a bottle of free mineral water each. The price of booking through Tony was surprisingly cheaper than any tour operator we were able to find on the internet! Unfortunately, our stay was in foggy conditions - subzero temperatures at night and at best hovering around 3 degrees Celsius by day. But be warned – this is not for the occasional walker, as it involved an approximately 10km hike up and down slippery stoned steps to CatCat Village and the Hydro Electric Power Station on the first day, and a 17km walk/hike to Lao Chai Village on the second day! Nevertheless, the people in Sapa were incredibly friendly, all working and living in their natural environments. Not only do you leave Sapa with images of the beauty of the area in your mind, but you take away with you so much humbleness as you witness the harshness of their daily lives. Our tour guide, Bee, was very friendly, polite and very knowledgeable.

HA LONG BAY (2D 1N): Whilst Sapa gave you a feeling of freedom and returning to nature, Ha Long Bay was, in comparison, luxurious. We stayed overnight on a new cruise ship belonging to Rising Dragon 2 Hotel, named the “Hanoi Opera Cruise”, fashioned as an oriental junk boat. The ship was very new and decorated with a heavy Chinese influence. It had all the usual mod-cons, and the bedrooms were beautifully decorated, with a very good shower room and toilet. Lunches and dinner were good with large variations, consisted of Chinese and Vietnamese dishes. We even had after-dinner entertainment, consisting of traditional Vietnamese singing and traditional instrumental music. At breakfast the next morning there was a buffet spread consisting of fruits, omelettes, toast, cakes and choice of tea and coffee and fruit juices. All the members of staff, including our exceptionally friendly tour guide, were very hospitable and ready to assist in any way. We even had a free tai chi class early in the morning at 0630 before breakfast! However, only my husband and I attended! Sadly though, the cloud cover at dawn meant that we did not see the sunrise. It was a lovely trip, cruising through the bay, seeing the limestone peaks that were formed at the same time as the Himalayas. The trip included visiting Sun Sot Cave filled with stalagmites and stalactites, and climbed to the top of one peak (Ti Top) to gain a good view of the bay below.

PERFUME PAGODA (Daytrip): Set 70km from Hanoi, the Perfume Pagoda is considered as the most revered religious site in Vietnam, with up to 80,000 visitors daily during Chinese New Year. The journey consisted of a 2 hour ride by minibus to the river, followed by a 1 hour journey by boat along the river to the foot of the mountain where the shrine resided. Each boat can take up to 4 passengers, seated very low into the bottom of the boat, crammed up (sorry if you are tall!), and steered along the river by a single oarsman (or, more commonly, oarswoman!). It was a beautiful, albeit uncomfortable, journey; hearing no sounds except the lapping of the oars as they cut through the water; seeing no people except the occasional fisherman or farmer. For those who enjoy hiking, there is a 2.5km hike up the mountain to the cave, or for those lazy persons (us included!), a cable car ride to the top for less than GBP2. However, we did opt to walk down the mountain, along well maintained stoned paths to the restaurant for lunch! The shrine is very beautiful, set inside a cave and for those who are religious, can be a very humble and fulfilling experience. We were particularly pleased with our tour guide, especially when he would crack jokes whilst holding a straight face!

So, in conclusion, Hanoi is an amazing place to visit! From the moment you step foot into Hanoi City, your senses are overwhelmed by the cars, buses and, in particular, the scooters and motorbikes! You think to yourself, “What the hell am I doing here??”

On the second day, you are further engulfed by the apparent chaos around you. You spend most of your energy trying to avoid being knocked down by the multitude of motorbikes! You find yourself saying a small prayer as your life flashes past your eyes, and you brace yourself before attempting to cross any roads in Hanoi City!

On the third day, subtle changes start to occur. The beauty, majestic and historical grace of the city begins to dawn on you. For the first time you begin to look around you with new eyes and see that there is indeed an elegant order among the disorder! From this point forward, Hanoi becomes an open book, eager to be read with greedy eyes and trembling anticipation as you wait to see what is on the next page! You begin to appreciate how the city has kept hold of its past; pride itself in retaining its identity despite the fast growing tourism trade. We, the tourists, are expected to flow with its energy – not the other way round!

The icing on the cake was the Rising Dragon 2 Hotel, which was nothing less than impeccable! No tips were ever expected of us! We would recommend this hotel, without any hesitation, to anyone wanting a perfect trip to Hanoi City!

A trillion “Thank Yous” to Tony and all his members of staff (including the friendly chef!) who made this trip such a memorable one for us and setting the standard so high as to what an “excellent” hotel experience should be like!

The Dragon has definitely risen.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clockworkPink
UK
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This was a lovely hotel right in the hustle and bustle of the old quarter. The rooms were surprisingly quiet considering the noise on the street. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms spacious. The only downside was the lack of proper shower. There was a shower head over the bath, but no curtain, so difficult to stand up to have a shower. But only a very minor thing. The staff there were very friendly and helpful. I'd been corresponding with the manager over our booking and our Halong Bay trip (we booked the Red Dragon which was amazing) and he made a point of introducing himself and having a chat. The breakfast was fine to with lovely coffee. We had a pc with free wifi in the room which was very handy.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tinytate
London
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This small and welcoming boutique hotel may not officially attain five stars yet after our experience we can highly recommend it. Our positive experience is in most part due to the excellent customer service provided by manager, Toan Nguyen. From the moment you enquire about room rates, Toan is completely at your service from organising airport transfers (recommended after a long haul flight) to arranging trips, excursions and tickets.

On arrival, we were greeted warmly by Toan's team and given a welcome drink as we were checked in.

Positives
In room facilities: Clean, newly furbished spacious rooms with free broadband on a desktop in the room (a real asset), cable TV, fridge and minibar, complimentary mineral water, tea & coffee making facilities and a safety deposit box. We stayed in rooms towards the back of the hotel and were not disturbed by any beeping horns.
Location - It's walking distance (if you dare cross Hanoi's streets with the raft of motorbikes that is) to all the major sites (Hoan Kiem Lake, Water Puppet show, Old Quarter and 36 streets, Temple of Literature, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hoa Lo Prison etc)
In-house travel service - Toan was instrumental in arranging and negotiating our trip to Halong Bay (aboard Bhaya Cruises) even arranging a transfer from the hotel rather than have us meet the Bhaya Cruise transfer elsewhere. He also helpfully arranged our overnight sleeper train tickets from Hanoi to Da Nang (via Livitrans - although as a side note, please allow plenty of time to actually pick up your actual tickets from next door to the train station rather than relying on the booking slips which we had. This will avoid a lot of last minute craziness at the train station).
Checkout - upon return to Hanoi from Halong Bay, Toan kindly offered us free use of a shower and rest area while we waited for our transfer to the train station.

Modest drawback
For some, the buffet breakfast which is included in the room rate may be quite limited in terms of western options but if you're happy to sample Vietnamese cuisine for breakfast you'll be fine.

We applaud Toan's excellent customer service skills and the friendliness of his team - often found lacking at more highly rated international hotels.

Other tips:
Recommended Vietnamese eateries - Blue Butterfly and KOTO (developing Vietnamese street kids and disadvantaged youth) - the latter is conveniently located near the Temple of Literature.
Handicrafts - We found a not-for-profit shop working with Vietnamese handicraft producers (http://www.craftlink.com.vn/) again onveniently located near the Temple of Literature - it is an excellent small shop to pick up some gifts/souvenirs.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Annette-and-friends
Vietnam
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I am not exaggerating at all, Rising Dragon II was the best hotel I have ever stayed in for so many reasons. I live in Vietnam now, and I had to stay in Hanoi for a month during August. My organization had me stay in Rising Dragon II for the entire month, and I could not be happier that they did. First of all, the hotel is new and and incredibly clean, and the rooms are nicely decorated, with refrigerators, teapots, a computer, and pretty wooden floors. Like any hotel in Vietnam, the rooms are a bit small, but almost all hotels in Hanoi's Old Quarter are the same. The Old Quarter was also a great location, it's very busy there but it's right in the middle of everything so it's the best neighborhood for tourists.
But what really made the Rising Dragon unique was the service. The hotel staff was so incredibly kind to me, and after a month, I felt like they were my family. This meant a lot as Hanoi can be a stressful place for someone new to Vietnam. Every day when I came back to the hotel they greeting me with smiles and questions about my day. When I left the Rising Dragon, the hotel staff threw a party for my friends and I with delicious food from their restaurant. They also drove us to the train station and went through a lot of trouble to make sure that we got onto the train with all of our luggage okay. Every time I go back to Hanoi, I stay at the Rising Dragon, and it's like visiting old friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank VietnamJenn
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I don’t usually post on trip advisor but I felt the need to tell everyone about the Rising Dragon II. I stayed there for a month in August while I was doing a training program at the US Embassy. My program booked the hotel for me and I was a little unsure of staying at a hotel that had just opened. However, I was so pleasantly surprised by the Rising Dragon II. I cannot say enough good things.

The hotel was spotless and modern. My room was the smallest they have and there was not much natural sunlight from the window that faced a teeny courtyard. Still the room had a small desk, plenty of closet space, a computer and a flat screen TV with many English movie channels. While my room was small, they have larger rooms with nice windows. As my stomach was adjusting to the food in Vietnam, I was happy to have the good and reliable, if a little bland, breakfast every morning.

I now live in Vietnam and have traveled in Vietnam since 2002. While I have stayed in less expensive hotels and big chain hotels like the Hilton, the Rising Dragon had the best service that I have encountered. This hotel was cleaner with more modern amenities than the backpacker hotels and had better service than the bigger fancier hotels. For any visitor new to Hanoi and maybe a little apprehensive, I would recommend staying at this smaller hotel because they will take care of you in a way that places like the Hilton or the Sheraton just cannot.
A few examples:
1. The Hanoi post office was trying to charge me a significant amount of money to pick up a package sent to me. The hotel offered to go to the post office with me and they talked to the post office several times on the phone for me.
2. I was eating at a nearby restaurant when a group of Australians got out of a taxi because the driver basically was refusing to take them to the hotel that they had booked and was trying to overcharge them. I walked back with them to the rising dragon. The receptionist offered to call them a taxi but because the other hotel was so close, she gave them a map and directions so they could walk there. I think for hotel to help someone who is not even staying there is pretty classy in city with cutthroat hotel competition.
3. I was moving on from Hanoi and was taking the train to Ho Chi Minh City with all of my belongings. While I was waiting for my taxi, Hieu, the head manager and owner, saw that I clearly had more luggage than I could handle. So he came with me to the train station and then personally loaded my luggage into the berth for me. It was so nice; you cannot get service like that elsewhere.

I could go on and on! Hope you enjoy the RD2 as much as I did.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ewatkinsdc
Twickenham
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I stayed here for 1 night. I was going to stay longer but I disliked Hanoi. I went to Hanoi in the 90s and loved it. I always wanted to go back but this time I hated it. I got ripped of by a taxi driver, and spat at by a cyclo driver and you get harassed by people all the time. I tried being polite all the time, but it is never ending.
Anyway, back to the hotel. It was clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a bit of a non-event and the rooms are tiny. You do get a flat screen tv and a computer in your room which make up for this. My room was small and the toilet wasn't great at flushing. They did offer me an alternate room, but I decided to check out and get an overnight train instead. They were fine about this and looked after my bag. They also have a room on the 2nd floor where you can get a shower and use the internet, or just relax whilst you are waiting for your connection. (They gave me a clean towel for the shower which was great).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo