“Hands down, the best hotel I have ever stayed in!”

Rising Dragon Grand Hotel
Ranked #134 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Vietnam
“Hands down, the best hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I am not exaggerating at all, Rising Dragon II was the best hotel I have ever stayed in for so many reasons. I live in Vietnam now, and I had to stay in Hanoi for a month during August. My organization had me stay in Rising Dragon II for the entire month, and I could not be happier that they did. First of all, the hotel is new and and incredibly clean, and the rooms are nicely decorated, with refrigerators, teapots, a computer, and pretty wooden floors. Like any hotel in Vietnam, the rooms are a bit small, but almost all hotels in Hanoi's Old Quarter are the same. The Old Quarter was also a great location, it's very busy there but it's right in the middle of everything so it's the best neighborhood for tourists.
But what really made the Rising Dragon unique was the service. The hotel staff was so incredibly kind to me, and after a month, I felt like they were my family. This meant a lot as Hanoi can be a stressful place for someone new to Vietnam. Every day when I came back to the hotel they greeting me with smiles and questions about my day. When I left the Rising Dragon, the hotel staff threw a party for my friends and I with delicious food from their restaurant. They also drove us to the train station and went through a lot of trouble to make sure that we got onto the train with all of our luggage okay. Every time I go back to Hanoi, I stay at the Rising Dragon, and it's like visiting old friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank VietnamJenn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I don’t usually post on trip advisor but I felt the need to tell everyone about the Rising Dragon II. I stayed there for a month in August while I was doing a training program at the US Embassy. My program booked the hotel for me and I was a little unsure of staying at a hotel that had just opened. However, I was so pleasantly surprised by the Rising Dragon II. I cannot say enough good things.

The hotel was spotless and modern. My room was the smallest they have and there was not much natural sunlight from the window that faced a teeny courtyard. Still the room had a small desk, plenty of closet space, a computer and a flat screen TV with many English movie channels. While my room was small, they have larger rooms with nice windows. As my stomach was adjusting to the food in Vietnam, I was happy to have the good and reliable, if a little bland, breakfast every morning.

I now live in Vietnam and have traveled in Vietnam since 2002. While I have stayed in less expensive hotels and big chain hotels like the Hilton, the Rising Dragon had the best service that I have encountered. This hotel was cleaner with more modern amenities than the backpacker hotels and had better service than the bigger fancier hotels. For any visitor new to Hanoi and maybe a little apprehensive, I would recommend staying at this smaller hotel because they will take care of you in a way that places like the Hilton or the Sheraton just cannot.
A few examples:
1. The Hanoi post office was trying to charge me a significant amount of money to pick up a package sent to me. The hotel offered to go to the post office with me and they talked to the post office several times on the phone for me.
2. I was eating at a nearby restaurant when a group of Australians got out of a taxi because the driver basically was refusing to take them to the hotel that they had booked and was trying to overcharge them. I walked back with them to the rising dragon. The receptionist offered to call them a taxi but because the other hotel was so close, she gave them a map and directions so they could walk there. I think for hotel to help someone who is not even staying there is pretty classy in city with cutthroat hotel competition.
3. I was moving on from Hanoi and was taking the train to Ho Chi Minh City with all of my belongings. While I was waiting for my taxi, Hieu, the head manager and owner, saw that I clearly had more luggage than I could handle. So he came with me to the train station and then personally loaded my luggage into the berth for me. It was so nice; you cannot get service like that elsewhere.

I could go on and on! Hope you enjoy the RD2 as much as I did.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ewatkinsdc
Twickenham
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I stayed here for 1 night. I was going to stay longer but I disliked Hanoi. I went to Hanoi in the 90s and loved it. I always wanted to go back but this time I hated it. I got ripped of by a taxi driver, and spat at by a cyclo driver and you get harassed by people all the time. I tried being polite all the time, but it is never ending.
Anyway, back to the hotel. It was clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a bit of a non-event and the rooms are tiny. You do get a flat screen tv and a computer in your room which make up for this. My room was small and the toilet wasn't great at flushing. They did offer me an alternate room, but I decided to check out and get an overnight train instead. They were fine about this and looked after my bag. They also have a room on the 2nd floor where you can get a shower and use the internet, or just relax whilst you are waiting for your connection. (They gave me a clean towel for the shower which was great).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank SallyAnne62
Singapore
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I have been travelling alone in Vietnam for 3 weeks since 7 Nov 2009. Moving up from HCM city all the way up to Hanoi and I have not received such bad service and attitide. I have stayed in hotels that cost between US$10 to US$20 during the last 3 weeks in Vietnam. When I first reached Hanoi, I stayed in Sunshine Hotel 3 which was very good at US$24 per room.

As my friend is joining me today and she has recommended Rising Dragon based on the reviews here, I decided to move into this hotel. I reached Rising Dragon at about 645am and the reception (a guy) told me twin is US$40 and double is US$30. Suite is US$50 and I can check-in immediately. I decided to settle for a double room and was told to wait until some guests check-out from their room. I was assured that I can get a room in the next 2 hours.

I went to the public room and waited there. At around 830am, some guests checked out and I went to the reception at 9am. To my disgust, the receptionist (now a lady), told me that the room rate for a double is US$45 but there is no available room.

I explained to her that I waited for 2 hours because I was told I would get a room at US$30. I did not even bargain and was offered this price. The staff doubted my words and insisted that US$30 applies to a single room Rising Dragon 1!!! What a joke! My friend is staying in Rising Dragon at US$22 per night. I pointed to the cctv which can testify that I have spoken to a guy in Rising Dragon 2 before 7am. Its impossible to see a ghost in broad daylight!! They offered no apology and solution and I left the hotel with my 13kg backpack. If I was told there is no avilable room for today, and the price is US$45, I would have made myself comfortable in another hotel!!!

This is the worst hotel I have seen in Vietnam and I definitely will not stay in this hotel. This is no way to do business.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
21 Thank lardles
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We booked this hotel using the hotel booking service located at Hanoi Airport, at the rate of $30 for a single night for, what was described at the booking service, a standard room.

I was surprised at just how tiny the room was. The frontage of most Vietnamese houses appears to be very narrow, something like 3 or 4 meters, and the Rising Dragon II Hotel also had this frontage. You can see just how narrow this is by looking at the width of the reception area on the hotel's website. Our room, plus the width of a corridor, had to fit in to the same width as the reception area you can see. The size of our room bore little relationship to the size of the bedrooms shown on the website. The width of our room was only slightly longer than the bed length; to get past the bed you had to stoop to avoid hitting the TV which was on the wall.

Further, the bedroom had no external window. I suggest that anyone booking this hotel make sure that they certain of the dimensions, and whether there is an external window.

On the other hand, the room was modern and well fitted; it had recessed lighting and included a computer with inclusive internet access. It was like a calm oasis in which you could isolate yourself from the constant noise of the streets outside. It perhaps resembled the sort of bedroom you might expect in a luxury motor caravan or yacht.

The staff were friendly and helpful. They did invite us down to see them once we'd settled in, so that they could tell us about some of the trips they wanted to sell us. We actually ended up booking a trip to Halong Bay from a different agent. A casual, friendly chat with (I assume) one of the hotel staff the following morning ended abruptly when we happened to mention we'd booked a trip with a company they don't deal with - I'd never seen anyone duck out of a conversation so quickly!

The breakfast was quite acceptable, but nothing special.

12 Thank Number66
munich
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Serivce:
The staff where fabulous. Their english is actually on par with that of luxury hotel staff in hanoi if not better (i have tried it, believe me). They help you get a trustworthy taxi everytime and tell them where to go. They call travel agencies to ask if free sights (ho chi minh mausoleum) are open, they even took me by xe om to an ATM where I had encountered a problem completely free of charge and did not accept my offer for compensation (i tipped the whole staff instead then, since I felt i absolutely owed them).
Tip: Xe Om - motorbike ride is an adventure not to be missed - just trust the driver and hang on :-)

Room:
Very clean and comfortable (i like matress a little hard - much better than too soft) room. Std. room has a very small window and really not much room, but for the price it is a perfect haven. AC is working good, inroom safe is very helpful and comfortable, youhave all you need really.

Overall:
Best value for money (i paid about 35 usd per night for lowest entry room - inflation might increase prices though). Best smiles and service make Hanoi a great experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank part-time_gourmet
Sydney
Reviewed November 9, 2009

From the first contact with Tony at the Rising Dragon II, nothing was an issue.

Tony was prompt and informative in his replies. Not only did we go through him for our accommodation, but also our airport transfer and our overnight stay on a Junk Boat on Halong Bay.

Our airport pickup was seamless and we were no longer out of customs than we were in our car headed to the hotel. Once there, we were greeted by Tony and his wonderful staff, and escorted through from a welcome drink.

Be prepared, Hanoi is not a quiet place. However we only took one night to accustomed ourselves to the beeping of horns, and it really does fade into the background. The rooms are wonderfully outfitted and cleanliness is at a premium.

Tony and his staff helped us to buy SIM cards for our phone, going as far as taking us to the local shop and asking for us. His staff also booked us tickets for the Water Puppets.

We can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Stay here.

1 Thank NewieDog