“Worst hotel I have ever seen.”

Rising Dragon Grand Hotel
Ranked #124 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore
“Worst hotel I have ever seen.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

I have been travelling alone in Vietnam for 3 weeks since 7 Nov 2009. Moving up from HCM city all the way up to Hanoi and I have not received such bad service and attitide. I have stayed in hotels that cost between US$10 to US$20 during the last 3 weeks in Vietnam. When I first reached Hanoi, I stayed in Sunshine Hotel 3 which was very good at US$24 per room.

As my friend is joining me today and she has recommended Rising Dragon based on the reviews here, I decided to move into this hotel. I reached Rising Dragon at about 645am and the reception (a guy) told me twin is US$40 and double is US$30. Suite is US$50 and I can check-in immediately. I decided to settle for a double room and was told to wait until some guests check-out from their room. I was assured that I can get a room in the next 2 hours.

I went to the public room and waited there. At around 830am, some guests checked out and I went to the reception at 9am. To my disgust, the receptionist (now a lady), told me that the room rate for a double is US$45 but there is no available room.

I explained to her that I waited for 2 hours because I was told I would get a room at US$30. I did not even bargain and was offered this price. The staff doubted my words and insisted that US$30 applies to a single room Rising Dragon 1!!! What a joke! My friend is staying in Rising Dragon at US$22 per night. I pointed to the cctv which can testify that I have spoken to a guy in Rising Dragon 2 before 7am. Its impossible to see a ghost in broad daylight!! They offered no apology and solution and I left the hotel with my 13kg backpack. If I was told there is no avilable room for today, and the price is US$45, I would have made myself comfortable in another hotel!!!

This is the worst hotel I have seen in Vietnam and I definitely will not stay in this hotel. This is no way to do business.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
21 Thank lardles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

We booked this hotel using the hotel booking service located at Hanoi Airport, at the rate of $30 for a single night for, what was described at the booking service, a standard room.

I was surprised at just how tiny the room was. The frontage of most Vietnamese houses appears to be very narrow, something like 3 or 4 meters, and the Rising Dragon II Hotel also had this frontage. You can see just how narrow this is by looking at the width of the reception area on the hotel's website. Our room, plus the width of a corridor, had to fit in to the same width as the reception area you can see. The size of our room bore little relationship to the size of the bedrooms shown on the website. The width of our room was only slightly longer than the bed length; to get past the bed you had to stoop to avoid hitting the TV which was on the wall.

Further, the bedroom had no external window. I suggest that anyone booking this hotel make sure that they certain of the dimensions, and whether there is an external window.

On the other hand, the room was modern and well fitted; it had recessed lighting and included a computer with inclusive internet access. It was like a calm oasis in which you could isolate yourself from the constant noise of the streets outside. It perhaps resembled the sort of bedroom you might expect in a luxury motor caravan or yacht.

The staff were friendly and helpful. They did invite us down to see them once we'd settled in, so that they could tell us about some of the trips they wanted to sell us. We actually ended up booking a trip to Halong Bay from a different agent. A casual, friendly chat with (I assume) one of the hotel staff the following morning ended abruptly when we happened to mention we'd booked a trip with a company they don't deal with - I'd never seen anyone duck out of a conversation so quickly!

The breakfast was quite acceptable, but nothing special.

12 Thank Number66
munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

Serivce:
The staff where fabulous. Their english is actually on par with that of luxury hotel staff in hanoi if not better (i have tried it, believe me). They help you get a trustworthy taxi everytime and tell them where to go. They call travel agencies to ask if free sights (ho chi minh mausoleum) are open, they even took me by xe om to an ATM where I had encountered a problem completely free of charge and did not accept my offer for compensation (i tipped the whole staff instead then, since I felt i absolutely owed them).
Tip: Xe Om - motorbike ride is an adventure not to be missed - just trust the driver and hang on :-)

Room:
Very clean and comfortable (i like matress a little hard - much better than too soft) room. Std. room has a very small window and really not much room, but for the price it is a perfect haven. AC is working good, inroom safe is very helpful and comfortable, youhave all you need really.

Overall:
Best value for money (i paid about 35 usd per night for lowest entry room - inflation might increase prices though). Best smiles and service make Hanoi a great experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank part-time_gourmet
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

From the first contact with Tony at the Rising Dragon II, nothing was an issue.

Tony was prompt and informative in his replies. Not only did we go through him for our accommodation, but also our airport transfer and our overnight stay on a Junk Boat on Halong Bay.

Our airport pickup was seamless and we were no longer out of customs than we were in our car headed to the hotel. Once there, we were greeted by Tony and his wonderful staff, and escorted through from a welcome drink.

Be prepared, Hanoi is not a quiet place. However we only took one night to accustomed ourselves to the beeping of horns, and it really does fade into the background. The rooms are wonderfully outfitted and cleanliness is at a premium.

Tony and his staff helped us to buy SIM cards for our phone, going as far as taking us to the local shop and asking for us. His staff also booked us tickets for the Water Puppets.

We can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Stay here.

1 Thank NewieDog
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,858 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

You may notice that 24 of the 29 previous reviews for Rising Dragon II are from 1-contribution wonders, and all rate the property 5-stars. This is always a reason for suspicion on any property or attraction on TripAdvisor, particularly one that is only three months old. However, read through this review and you'll find many of the same themes echoed as in the other reviews.

It is important to understand when choosing a hotel in Hanoi that Rising Dragon II, like nearly all the other hotels in the Top 20 on TripAdvisor, is a very small, 3-star hotel, not a big 5-star hotel. This is reflected in the very affordable price. The old quarter of Hanoi is full of this style of hotel, as this is the type of buildings that exist in Hanoi's old quarter. Rising Dragon II has 31 rooms spread out over 8 floors, so a very vertical design like the others. What sets Rising Dragon II apart is the level of personal service provided by the staff, and that it is nearly brand new - only three months old - which means nothing is worn out yet, or in need of refurbishing, just like new, and very modern. If you normally stay at big 5-star hotels, you will probably not enjoy the Rising Dragon II, and should check out the Sofitel or Melia. If you normally try to find the best value hotel for the money, with clean, comfortable accommodations without breaking the bank, then Rising Dragon II is right in your wheelhouse. If you are a backpacker accustomed to rustic accommodations, you will feel spoiled here.

LOCATION - Excellent location in Hanoi's lively Old Quarter. Only about a 10 minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake, walking distance to many restaurants. A little bit further out than some other hotels, but still in the Old Quarter, and still walking distance to most attractions in Hanoi. West Lake is about a 10 minute taxi ride.

ROOMS - We stayed in the Dragon Suite, which is a 35 sq. meter (376 SF) room that includes a sofa and a balcony. It was $60.00 per night. The Deluxe View rooms (25 sq. meter / 270 SF) are about $40.00 a night, and have a view, but no balcony. There are also standard rooms for about $25.00 I believe. There is no furniture or anything on the balcony, and the view is of a building under construction next door, so really it's nice for the extra 10 sq meters of space because 25 sq meters is quite small. The room was immaculately clean, almost seemed like it had never been used. It was spacious, though had low ceilings which made it seem smaller than it was. There is a computer with internet access to use in the room, and if you ask them, they will set up wi-fi for you. There is a flat screen TV, which is nice, and a small fridge. There is no iron or ironing board, but they will bring it to you if you ask. There is no alarm clock, and the hotel missed one of our three wake-up calls, and was 15 minutes late on another, so best to bring your own alarm clock. There is a small bathtub and a shower (low water pressure in the shower, so bring easy-to-rinse soap). The room is attractively decorated and well-lit, very comfortable. The bed is hard and the pillows are a little strange, but we slept pretty well and most hotels of this variety in Asia are similarly hard. To get a really comfortable bed, you'll need to upgrade to the Sheraton or Sofitel. There is a complimentary fruit basket each day, and a free bottle of wine upon arrival to a Dragon Suite.

AMENITIES - A buffet breakfast is included with the room, though we found that the food was always cold and much of it was inedible. There is no egg station, but instead fried eggs are available in the buffet pan. Most of the selections are Fried Vietnamese options, and some change day to day. The restaurant, however, offers ala carte selections from the menu for only about $1.50 that are quite tasty, so best to just eat the extra buck and a half and order cooked to order breakfast. We also were surprisingly pleased with the dinner options we had, they were fresh tasting and flavorful, and for only about $3.00. There is an internet station in the lobby, and cable internet in all the rooms. Wi-fi is available in the lobby and in most of the hotel - if your room doesn't have it, let them know and they'll fix it for you. The front desk can arrange tours for you (they offer the Hanoi Opera Halong Bay Cruise, brand new, and looks great - wish we had known about that, we would have booked it with them instead!). There is no spa, fitness center, swimming pool, club room, or anything like that. Just rooms and a restaurant basically.

BUSINESS - The abundance of internet access is great, though if you have more than one computer, there is nowhere decent for the second computer to be set up. If you have a laptop, you'll just need to slide the existing computer out of the way, if you don't have one, no worries because you have a computer in your room. There is no business center, but the staff will print out or fax anything for you that you need. The hotel provides complimentary departure-only airport transfer in comfortable roomy sedans which is great for the 1 hour or so ride to the airport. The arrival transfer costs $15.00 if you want it, which we recommend. The car was so quiet, you couldn't even hear the zillion motorbikes going by on the highway, and so roomy and comfortable after a long flight. They were right on time, there waiting for us as we arrived.

STAFF - Polite, friendly, helpful, thorough, and always smiling. We had a couple of issues with our room at the very beginning, and the staff immediately corrected them. For example, we couldn't pick up the wi-fi signal in our room, so they brought up a router and set up our own private wi-fi network in our room for us. Who does that? Very impressed. They helped us pick restaurants to eat at, made reservations for us, showed us on a map the good spots to walk and sightsee, suggested tours for us, even helped us set up some special things for our anniversary. When we went to Halong Bay for one night, they let us store our luggage at the hotel until we returned free of charge. Some of the staff has limited English, particularly at night, so a little patience is required, but they are always eager to help you.

The Rising Dragon II is an excellent choice for a budget stay in Hanoi, brand new rooms, great staff and customer service. If you are looking for a hotel in this price range, you will not be disappointed with your choice (remember, order breakfast from the menu if you don't like the free buffet, cheap, hot and good). Make sure to ask them about the Halong Bay boat, it really does look much nicer than any others we saw out on the water, including those routinely recommended by TripAdvisor members. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Johann&Sandra
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

My wife and I read many reviews about the hotels in Hanoi and decided to go for Rising Dragon II which is located in the old quarters. We booked 2 Deluxe rooms (one room for my parents) from 27 Oct to 1 Nov and were very pleased with the service rendered by the staff there.

Before our trip, we were hesitating which hotels to go for as there are plentiful choices to choose from. After reading reviews of Rising Dragon II, we decided to write to them to enquire about the hotel and Halong Bay tour package. We corresponded with the manager, Mr Tony Nguyen and was impressed with his professionalism and good service rendered. He offered varieties of tour packages for us to choose, provide recommendations and follow up promptly on our email queries.

We are very comfortable with the service standard of the hotel and decided to book this hotel. It was a GOOD choice and we would like to share our experience with those looking for hotels in Hanoi.

Likes :-
+ Located in the old quarter, walking distance to Hoan Kiem lake, water Puppet Show, Dong Xuan street
+ Spacious and comfortable deluxe room
+ Clean bedsheets and towels
+ Quiet since the deluxe room is facing the backstreet
+ Good Breakfast spreads (Vietnamese & International)
+ Very friendly and professional service by all staffs
+ Safe location - no problem walking along the street at night
+ Small-scale hotel to be able to experience the Vietnamese's culture
+ Individual computer is available in the room

Dislikes :-
- Some rooms do not have bathtub. (room 804/904)

Upon arrival at Hanoi Int'l airport, we were greeted by the driver arranged by the hotel. Our ride to the hotel were smooth despite the evening congestion along the way. We were received by friendly welcome from staff and within minutes, we were ready to check-in to our rooms. The rooms we booked were big and comfortable and most importantly clean.

We booked our Halong Bay tour package (the Phoenix Cruise) recommended by Tony and were indeed worth every penny. The condition of the junk was good as it was only around 1 year old. The food served on board was decent.

Throughout our stay, we spoke to almost all the staff in the hotel. Each of them carries a friendly disposition. We even get to learn some simple Vietnamese dishes from the Chef. Their spoken English enables them to carry out conversations with the guests. Mr Ten and Ms Anne speak pretty good english and always greet us with their charming smiles...:)

I've spent weeks reading so many reviews and comparing hotels and cruises on the web before the trip. My advice is, if you're on budget tour and willing to spare a bit on hotel for the comfort, don't hesitate to book this hotel. You will not be disappointed! They have done Hanoi and Vietnam proud, and its the team's effort that keeps bringing the
customers back!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank k_victor
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

In Spain, a lot of people come for their holiday. And my wife and I want to find new interesting thing from Asian region. We chose Vietnam for our destination this summer. Before going there, we book a hotel near Ho Guom lake. When we stepped our feet on the airport, we felt pleasant. Well, almost everything was different from our country. We took a taxi straight to the address of the booking hotel. Staying one day, we needed to move because the service was not good. At that night, we wandered in the old streets and saw the hotel Rising Dragon 2. …The receptionist is so young, he was very happy to answer my questions about the room price, equipment,…After that, we decided to book one deluxe room for 2night. We stayed there when we went back from HaLong. The receptionist in charge named Vu Minh Duc, who was very helpful, booked rooms in Ho Chi Minh city for us as well as arranged the taxi to pick us up to the other hotel. It’s very kind of him. Thank you so much for him and others at the hotel Rising Dragon 2. We had received a lot from you. And the biggest we were taken was you wonderful attitude. We like your hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends