“Unique Coffee Experience with the Locals”
Review of Giang Cafe

Giang Cafe
Ranked #2 of 126 Coffee & Tea in Hanoi
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Giang Cafe was founded by My Father ,Mr. Nguyen Giang in 1946, when he was working as a bartender for the famous five-star Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi hotel. Although the cafe has been relocated twice, its egg coffee recipe is almost the same as in its early days, with its chief ingredients being chicken egg yolk, Vietnamese coffee powder, sweetened condensed milk, butter and cheese.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our guides from HanoiKids brought us here. We tried the egg coffee, and it was a really unique experience for us. The coffee was really creamy because of the egg yolk used, and the taste and consistency reminded us of coffee-flavored custard. If I lived here, I would probably have this at least once a week! A must-try if you are in Hanoi!

I would recommend that you come with a local, because this place is a little hard to find, and there does not seem to be any English menu. I may be wrong about this though :)

There are newer reviews for Giang Cafe

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were taken here on a food tour and it was one of the absolute highlights of our week in Vietnam. The egg coffee served here is a sublime way to end the night, in a truly cool environment sitting around tiny tables, nibbling on sunflower seeds among some of Hanoi's coolest. Unmissable

Reviewed February 19, 2013

At first, I don't understand why my friend who live in HN drink it often, I saw photos about "Egg Coffee" on her Facebook, and I really wanna try it...

And yeah, it's so good, unique, have a good taste...The time I went to HN over 12 degree, so "Hot Egg Coffee" is really good choose...

Beside that, they have a simple place, when there you will feel how is Ha Noi, a bit old and slow not fast and modern as Sai Gon...

The service is okie, owner really fun...Im happy when I go there and I will come back everytime I go to Ha Noi
Inside just have a small sign in front of a dark alley, and if you dont careful you will miss it :)

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have to thank the Hanoikids for taking us here. The famous egg coffee was fabulous; as well as the egg yoghurt. The egg with hot choc was good too, albeit a little too sweet. It was a local cafe, with many locals hanging out with a cup of drink and chatting away. We too had a great time chatting with the Hanoikids in the local setting. The entrance was a long dark walkway before you reach the cafe, and there are two levels. Lots of varieties to choose from, we really enjoyed what we ordered - egg coffee, egg with hot choc and egg yoghurt.

1  Thank highfever88
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Must check out the Egg Coffee here! Really an experience... Reading about Giang Cafe it felt like we're venturing on an adventure even to search for it. Armed with a Google Map print-out we found the place pretty easily. Got ourselves a small table and ordered one hot and one cold egg coffee. Too sweet for me and the hot coffee was just lukewarm. But it was indeed a truly typical Vietnamese experience. Sitting on the low bamboo chair and table enjoying the cool weather. However, I wonder in summer it would be as pleasant... Quite a number of people chatting sipping coffee and munching on the sunflower seeds... After a while my butt hurt though... Had to find a new table by the wall to lean on to :))

Word of advice - Go upstairs.

2  Thank MelKualaLumpur